bluetooth auto play problem

jacksonvilleTDI

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6Spd
I noticed my phone battery is dying very quickly because every time i start the car the stereo starts streaming music from my phone(via Bluetooth).
I DO NOT have the auto play checkbox(in setup menu) checked and dont see other options to disable it.
Did anybody else have the same problem.
Is this a bug across the board or is it just my car.
I have tried 3 other phones with the same result.
Also tried checking the box and unchecking again but no fix.

IceRaider360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
Not sure on this one, I have a 2011 Golf with the RCD-510 stereo and use a Galaxy Nexus S Android phone for bluetooth music streaming and haven't run into this problem hopefully someone will chime in on this.

Past_VNE

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS 5-spd, '12 JSW 6M
I have the same problem with both my husband's iPhone and with mine. I would LOVE to turn off this "feature" if possible. It's not just you, JAXTDI.

chris@revotechnik

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
12 JSW, 98 TJ cummins, bunch of gassers
Does this on my 2012 as well both my iphone and focus S (wp7). On the iphone it was a pain since I"d get to work and sync the phone it would then delete all the podcasts that played in the background on my way to work. luckily it doesn't do that with the wp7 but it does keep playing and drains the battery.

The bluetooth auto play just means that when you get into the car and turn it on it will switch from whatever media source was playing to the bluetooth. If you have that off it doesn't change over but it still triggers play on the phone and will just play silently in your pocket.

Android phones have an option to actually manually turn off BT audio which is why people with those don't seem to have a problem. However I had a Sony with BT audio in my cherokee and it didn't autoplay my iphone like the JSW does.

jacksonvilleTDI

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6Spd
ok here is what i did on android go to BT settings, find your car that was paired, uncheck the BT Audio checkbox and it works.
I can still play everything but it does not start streaming music when you turn on your car.
Thanks

geraldvol426

TDI
2012 TDI Passat
I have the same BT problem on my 2012 Passat. Even after I change back to FM or SAT, the radio will just switch back to the iphone. It may do this every few minutes and repeat several (5-6) times VERY frustrating as the sound levels are different and can blkow out the speakers. Anyone have solutions. My dealer doesn't have an answer and Apple does not have a solutioni either.

goldgary

TDI
2012 Passat 6M
Count me in. Does it to my "non smart phone" I do not have any music on my phone, but I always have to cancel "no songs found" button on phone. It would be a real pain if I had music on phone.

I too am looking for an answer on this issue.

thanks, Gary

Kebbat

TDI
2012 JSW TDI
I'm also having this issue. Additionally, it is a real pain in the rear to get music to play from my iPhone using the MDI cable. It shows all of the contents of the iPod feature of the phone, but it often will not play them. And, when it finally does play a song, the song /album information is often incorrect.

blueclaws

TDI
'21 Golf TDI
Peeps, I feel your pain. I hate that I have to manually press stop on my iPhone everytime I get into my car and turn on the ignition.

After talking with VW and Apple about this, I've found that the culprit is Apple. They suggested I make a formal request to have this "bluetooth autoplay" option as a disable-able parameter in our phones.

If you have a moment, go to the Apple feedback website and hopefully the next software release will fix this. God knows it will make me happy. Spread this to other threads and forums for this problem, and maybe we can crowdsource Apple to get this fixed!

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Here is what I put down, for reference:

"Whenever my bluetooth-enabled car connects to my iPhone 4, even when the radio is off, my iPhone automatically plays the first available music source (iTunes or Pandora). No music is heard by me because the radio is off and the iphone is playing via the bluetooth. When I turn on the radio, I can hear that the phone has been playing the entire time the car's been despite no command to play music. This ends up being a big drain on my battery and data (pandora) if I don't go to my phone after turning on my car and hit stop on the playing music.

I suggest there be a parameter to turn off autoplay within the bluetooth system commands of my phone."

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
It would be nice for Apple to add a toggle - my money is that they won't do that. Not very user friendly to have more steps to go through when setting something up.

It is really something wrong with the software of the new HU's. When I uncheck the autoplay box on the HU it SHOULD NOT autoplay the music on my phone. For whatever reason the HU is sending some sort of signal to the phone to start playing music.

And to add - this drives me crazy too.

Donkeyshins

TDI
2012 Golf Variant 6-speed w/ sunroof delete
Same frickin' problem here with my Lumia 710 WP7 device. I'll talk to folks I know at Microsoft about whether this can be made configurable in some future release.

-D

fgiraffe

TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
After talking with VW and Apple about this, I've found that the culprit is Apple
Not sure I buy that. Other cars with similar BT playback capability do NOT have the Autoplay problem with the iPPhone, so the blame cannot be all on Apple.

mingoesbueno

TDI
2012 GTI
I have come up with the following solution:
Delete all of your music on your iPhone, only keep Pandora and streaming apps. You will still be able to use those apps, it is only the music player itself that starts to instant stream.
As I have an Ipod Classic hooked up through the MDI port, it seems redundant to have music on my iPhone anyways... Not the greatest of solutions, I know, but at least I know longer have to keep hitting stop on my phone every time I get in the car, and I also don't end up with a dead battery when I forget to hit stop.
On a side note, has anyone figured out how to manage those stupid tags on the RCD 510? I know the unit has built in music tagging for HD radio and Sirius, but how exactly does one go about retrieving those tags once they are saved to the 50 available slots on the HU?

HJWII

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI; 2012 JSW TDI
Okay... help me out here, and tell me if this is a similar issue:

I have music on my EVO, and every time I get in the car, the music players on my phone start. However, since I usually have the radio set to satellite, I don;t hear what's coming from the phone. And, if I do use the phone, I still don;t hear the music from the phone. Now, if I turn the radio to Bluetooth, then I hear that music (got it?).

Is there any way to not have the music players on the phone start when I enter my Bluetooth enabled car?

mjg

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
Hmmm, never noticed this happening. I guess since I usually plug my phone into the charger in my car, the battery issue hasn't become problematic for me. I'll be sure to look tomorrow morning.

mjg

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
Don't know what you guys are talking about. I looked at my phone this morning. Nothing was playing. What am I missing?

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
I have a couple of problems with my iPhone and 2011 RCD-510, but they sound slightly different than the problems that were posted. I turn off Bluetooth and only use the MDI cable (so I can keep charged).
  1. When I turn the car on, my streaming player (could be Pandora, or other app) starts playing immediately
  2. After playing for about 4 seconds, the audio goes silent. I have to unplug then replug the MDI cable.
The problem with #1 is that it's streaming sometimes when I'm just listening to FM. A bit of a waste.
With #2, it's kind of obvious-- I could be driving, but I'm still fiddling with my phone.
I told my dealer about it at the last maintenance visit, and they said they updated the software, but I saw no difference. Oh well.

bobmcbobson

TDI
2012 Golf DSG
Nice to know I'm not the only one having this problem. I've had my 2012 Golf for about a month now and this is my only complaint about the car, but it's been driving me nuts. I'm going to ask my dealer to disable the Bluetooth audio to resolve this.

One interesting note: I have a co-worker with 2011 Golf with the same radio as mine. He has an iPhone 4S (same as me) but does not see the problem.

NukeIT

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 VW Golf TDI
My iPhone does this too... But not all the time.... It also will start streaming automatically while I am driving, not just on start up....

pan a l'huile

TDI
'12 golf wagon
Good news. Update 91-13-03 is out since Jan 11.

I had it done yesterday and it took almost 2 hours to complete. Car is 2012 JSW.

Drove back home (1 hour ride) and I can tell my iphone issue (plays automatically when bluetooth connection is made) is solved. I confirm also stereo sound coming from bluetooth input. Quality *seems* higher to me.

Finally I noticed the feature that varies sound volume depending on speed seems to work better.

Pan

pan a l'huile

TDI
'12 golf wagon
Here is the tech bulletin (2 first pages):

Sorry the printer has hide the right side of the page, not showing "to" field of VIN.
Rest of document is technical procedure.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Here is the tech bulletin (2 first pages):
Sorry the printer has hide the right side of the page, not showing "to" field of VIN.
Rest of document is technical procedure.

Why did you blur the transaction number? The transaction number is the TSB number, which is exactly the number that people need to reference to get this update done!

The transaction/TSB number is 2031136/1

I'm having this update performed as we speak and the service guys had trouble finding it with "91-13-03" and told me that the 2031136/1 number is the actual TSB number.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Gotcha... I would have thought the same thing if they hadn't specifically said otherwise.

grnmtnjj

Veteran Member
TDI
Retired a 2000 Jetta with 241kmi. Now own a 2012 JSW in Toffee Brown.
Great news! Can this be done on my own? Or do I have to have it done at the dealer?