Acceptable tire size Jetta TDI

TedA

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS, relex silver
My '01 Jetta tires are stock 195/65/15. Are there other tires sizes that will safely fit the stock rim. I can't find any references to upgraded tire sizes..

Thanks

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Ted, you can check with Eric at the Tire Rack. He is the "VW guy" and can quickly tell you what is safe and what is not.

natebg

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI LUX
Anybody know if 205/70 r15 will fit? I have a set of practically new tires, and just don't want to throw them out...Would like to use if I could...

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
I have 205/65/15's and they seem great. The 205/70/15's may be pushing it, but you'll never know till ya try!

fallingwindows

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen
So the 65's would only be 2% larger? (65% of 205mm height, right?)

I'm also wondering about larger tires. As I see it -

pros - possible fuel savings (lower rpms for a given speed), taller profile better for soaking up NEngland road abuse?
cons - more mass to spin, more stress on suspension, possible bottoming or tire scrub, handling and braking suffers

Also, I'll be picking up a set of Bilstein TC's and want to see how much ride height increases. Might make a little room for rubber.

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
I've noticed NO change in fuel mileage. In fact it goes down, maybe (wider tire, increased rolling resistance?). It also changes the odometer count by around 3%? (less miles... therefore the appearance of lower mileage).