2011 Golf Vibration/shuddering issue. Advice needed.

csandGOLF

TDI
2011 Golf TDI Manual
Hi all, thanks for all of the great information on this forum. I'm having some problems with my 2011 Golf TDi 6 speed manual at 7,300 miles and just dropped it off for the dealer to check out. I'm looking for any feedback or advice people might have about the things I've been experiencing- and getting worse, over the past couple thousand miles:

* Issue 1

Shaking/bouncing oscillating or quivering sensation, abnormal

Clear feeling of an impact/thud/clunk and roughness when accelerating and also when letting off the accelerator, going into engine braking: 60 MPH accelerating and then letting off the accelerator in forth gear is worst example.

Worst at highway speeds, at first occurred only on the highway, feels like something is undampened, bouncing around. Felt through seat/cabin and a little bit in the steering wheel.

Worsened to all the time any speed (over 3 month span)

Pulsing vibration felt through the clutch pedal- worst in mid-travel- did not do this as noticeably when new- felt even at idle and in neutral.

Possibly?
Motor mount/transmission mount problem , Axle, cv joint, loose front subframe bolts?

Issue 2:

Occurred 1 time 12-19-11

Early morning 17 degrees in morning drive to work, then in 40s in afternoon. One drive home, car started normally- then when I accelerated into first gear, the car briefly lost power- noisy, violent engine stuttering- thought it would stall- floored it for a second or two to keep it going, then was fine the rest of the drive

Possibly?
intercooler icing issue?- TSB exists for winter intercooler kit.
Does this sound like intercooler icing? It turned over no problem.

Thank you very much for any input- expecting a call from the dealer tomorrow...

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Hi all, thanks for all of the great information on this forum. I'm having some problems with my 2011 Golf TDi 6 speed manual at 7,300 miles and just dropped it off for the dealer to check out. I'm looking for any feedback or advice people might have about the things I've been experiencing- and getting worse, over the past couple thousand miles:

* Issue 1

Clear feeling of an impact/thud/clunk and roughness when accelerating and also when letting off the accelerator, going into engine braking: 60 MPH accelerating and then letting off the accelerator in forth gear is worst example.

Worst at highway speeds, at first occurred only on the highway, feels like something is undampened, bouncing around. Felt through seat/cabin and a little bit in the steering wheel.

Pulsing vibration felt through the clutch pedal- worst in mid-travel- did not do this as noticeably when new- felt even at idle and in neutral.

Possibly?
Motor mount/transmission mount problem , Axle, cv joint, loose front subframe bolts?

Issue 2:

Occurred 1 time 12-19-11

Early morning 17 degrees in morning drive to work, then in 40s in afternoon. One drive home, car started normally- then when I accelerated into first gear, the car briefly lost power- noisy, violent engine stuttering- thought it would stall- floored it for a second or two to keep it going, then was fine the rest of the drive

Possibly?
intercooler icing issue?- TSB exists for winter intercooler kit.
Does this sound like intercooler icing? It turned over no problem.

Thank you very much for any input- expecting a call from the dealer tomorrow...

Issue 2. Same thing happened to me. So bad that at first I thought I'd blown a shift, and if you look out the mirror, lots of water vapour coming out the tailpipe. Engine swallows a slug of water, which is not good.

That's intercooler icing. The second time it happened, I had a hard start that evening as well after the car sat all day while at work.

bmble b

TDI
2010 TDI Sedan
Sounds a bit like gelled up fuel but given the intercooler issues and where you live I'd point to that. Try and drain the bottom hose of the intercooler and see if anything comes out.

csandGOLF

TDI
2011 Golf TDI Manual
Update:

I just picked up the car from the dealer- as far as the vibration thing goes, they claim to not feel it- maybe it's just me. I took a ride with a mechanic with me and was unable to duplicate the problem- driving in traffic... I'll just monitor if it gets worse as time goes on.

As far as issue 2, they mentioned that they have heard of the intercooler icing problem, but were vague about whether they would be willing to implement the TSB on my car- apparently I need to have another occurrence before they will do it. At least they acknowledge it might be an issue and were extremely nice to speak with. For now, I'm going to try not to worry and just enjoy driving my car. It's still the best car I've ever owned- just don't want any problems with a brand new car.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I park my TDI outside the garage and on rare occasion I too have the engine shuddering issue during a cold and damp morning start. I am not referring to the actual starting of the engine, but starting/rolling the car in 1st gear with a cold engine for the first time of the day. My engine has never had problem starting, not yet.

A) Only when I intentionally start in 1st gear at very very low rpm (1000-1200rpm range) would I experience this problem.

B) The engine shuddering has never occurred in reverse gear, only under forward gear.

C) If I plug in my block heater 2-3 hours before I drive the car for the first time in the cold and damp morning, I do not seem to recall any shuddering issue.

D) I do not seem to recall this problem during the warmer months, definately never during the summer. Every time this happens I remember the weather being wet, cold and uncomfortable.

E) The sympton only started to occur early this year, probably during the very early months of 2011.

F) I did try to loosen up the intercooler hose last month to check for junks but the weather was so cold and wet, the rubber pipe was hard like hell and there was no way lose it up. I'll get dealer to clean it next time during service.

G) I do not recall this problem during consecutive days of spirited driving. Recently I have been running snow tires with some horrible dry handling so my speed and engine rev have dropped down quite a lot.

The block heater was plug on this morning, it was wet and cold, no shuttering. I am going to record my cold start for the next 30 days under various conditions, hopefully we can find out some pattern.

I

ihatespeed

problem one sounds like a dual mass flywheel issue, I think it is more likely to manifest itself in slightly modified cars..

I

ihatespeed

yes, all vw manuals in the last decade or so have them, basically the flywheel is two parts that are damped against each other with springs and fluid.. I have a 6mt with the full exhaust and a stage two tune, under high load situations say accelerating at around 2000 rpm in 5th or 6th going up hill I get a shudder. best guess right now is I am at the hairy edge of the stock clutches torque capability and it is slipping / chattering..

Type_TDi

TDI
2010 Golf
Csandgolf,

Did you ever resolve problem #1?

Having similar issues and about the only thing that hasn't been checked it the clutch/flywheel.

Mine is a 2010 golf tdi 6mt with 27k miles.

csandGOLF

TDI
2011 Golf TDI Manual
Hi Type_TDI,

Issue 2 is resolved, hopefully, since my dealer finally installed the cold weather intercooler kit last month.

As far as issue 2 is concerned, I do occasionally feel some slight vibrations and here and there, but I think it's primarily the crap roads I'm driving on most of the time to be honest... I have noticed that there seems to be some slack somewhere in the drivetrain (6M) because if you get on and off the gas quickly in certain gears and speeds (like 45 MPH in 3rd or 4th) I can feel a slight clunk. I think it's probably just soft motor mounts and I'm trying to stop worrying about it. I'm at about 16,000 miles now. I figure if it gets worse, I'll bug the dealer about it again.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
I have 2012 golf, do i need the intercooler kit installed as a preventive measure or its been taken care of for the new cars? Build date 3/12

v1k1ng01

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4Door DSG (Sold)
yes, all vw manuals in the last decade or so have them, basically the flywheel is two parts that are damped against each other with springs and fluid.. I have a 6mt with the full exhaust and a stage two tune, under high load situations say accelerating at around 2000 rpm in 5th or 6th going up hill I get a shudder. best guess right now is I am at the hairy edge of the stock clutches torque capability and it is slipping / chattering..
I have the same issues with shuddering with my 2011 TDI DSG. In lower gears at low rpm the car shudders like it doesn't know to drop gear or stay in.

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
As for the vibration while accelerating and the 'what feels like clutch chatter', I've had that on my car since the day it was delivered with 5 miles on it. I've just come to terms with the fact that its a diesel, and you can't dampen every vibration it puts out. The dealer also confirmed that when I inquired about it.

Issue #2 definatly sounds like condensation in the IC, and from what I've heard the dealership tsb 'fix' for it dosn't really work and just adds a bunch of restrictions to your intake air path. I have not had any of the symptoms described for the intercooler icing, and I live in what is usually a cold climate(with the exception of the past winter that never was). I had the car up in NH for a week in 10 degree weather this year also.

Even with no symptoms, I will crack open the IC pipe and drain it every oil change from now on. Its just like cleaning the intake manifold when you do a timing belt, just a fact of owning a tdi.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

NewLyme

Veteran Member
TDI
His 2006 Jetta TDI DSG. Hers 2016 Touareg TDI 2013 Golf TDI DSG Buyback
I have 2012 golf, do i need the intercooler kit installed as a preventive measure or its been taken care of for the new cars? Build date 3/12
I was just at the dealer Fri. 6/29 and asked the service tech the same question. He told me that a change was made in the mfg. of the intercooler and that I wouldn't need the kit. He said something about the outlet hose being mounted higher than the inlet now, if I remember right. My build date 11/11.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof

* Issue 1

Possibly?
This is interesting. I am pretty sure I am having DMF issues. I am having the same problem as you with Issue #1. Sometimes when crusing, or even if I am in N, idling at a stoplight, when I press the accelerator, or let off the accelerator completely, I get a clunk/bump/looseness that I thought may be a loose mount or something. It is somewhat of in ireggular occurence, but it happens several times every day.

I believe I am having DMF issues because of the 2 following issues:

1: When starting from a stop (In 1st or R), there is a pulsating/rubbing noise I can hear from the drivetrain as I am releasing the clutch. The noise only happens as I release the clutch. If I am rolling forward slowly, the noise either isn’t present, or not as bad (Depending on how fast I am rolling). If I am stopped on an incline, the noise is worse. The noise isn’t present when I am moving and changing gears normally.

2: About 50% of the time when I am in 2nd gear, and let off the throttle to coast in gear, there is a noticeable Shake/Vibration in the Gear Shift Knob. This happens between 2200rpm down to 1000rpm. It also happens in 4th gear, but isn’t as noticeable. This Shake/Vibration can vary from a slight vibration that can only be felt when you are touching the shift knob, to a violent front to back shake that can be seen and heard. It only happens when coasting though, if it is shaking/vibrating in 2nd, and you step on the throttle, it goes away as long as you are giving it some throttle input. It will continue until I shift out of that gear. It only happens in 2nd and 4th.
If it is shaking in 2nd, I can sometimes shift into N, release the clutch pedal, then shift back into 2nd, and the shake will either get better, or completely go away for as long as I am in that gear.

I also feel a vibration in my clutch pedal and gear shift, when moving it side to side in N.

I have a feeling all of my issues are DMF related, and it is interesting that ihatespeed mentioned it may be a DMF issue.

Type_TDi

TDI
2010 Golf
This is interesting. I am pretty sure I am having DMF issues. I am having the same problem as you with Issue #1. Sometimes when crusing, or even if I am in N, idling at a stoplight, when I press the accelerator, or let off the accelerator completely, I get a clunk/bump/looseness that I thought may be a loose mount or something. It is somewhat of in ireggular occurence, but it happens several times every day.

I believe I am having DMF issues because of the 2 following issues:

1: When starting from a stop (In 1st or R), there is a pulsating/rubbing noise I can hear from the drivetrain as I am releasing the clutch. The noise only happens as I release the clutch. If I am rolling forward slowly, the noise either isn’t present, or not as bad (Depending on how fast I am rolling). If I am stopped on an incline, the noise is worse. The noise isn’t present when I am moving and changing gears normally.

2: About 50% of the time when I am in 2nd gear, and let off the throttle to coast in gear, there is a noticeable Shake/Vibration in the Gear Shift Knob. This happens between 2200rpm down to 1000rpm. It also happens in 4th gear, but isn’t as noticeable. This Shake/Vibration can vary from a slight vibration that can only be felt when you are touching the shift knob, to a violent front to back shake that can be seen and heard. It only happens when coasting though, if it is shaking/vibrating in 2nd, and you step on the throttle, it goes away as long as you are giving it some throttle input. It will continue until I shift out of that gear. It only happens in 2nd and 4th.
If it is shaking in 2nd, I can sometimes shift into N, release the clutch pedal, then shift back into 2nd, and the shake will either get better, or completely go away for as long as I am in that gear.

I also feel a vibration in my clutch pedal and gear shift, when moving it side to side in N.

I have a feeling all of my issues are DMF related, and it is interesting that ihatespeed mentioned it may be a DMF issue.

Ditto for me, still isn't fixed. Do you get a constant steering wheel shake above 60 mph?

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
Ditto for me, still isn't fixed. Do you get a constant steering wheel shake above 60 mph?
No I don't have any steering wheel shake. That could be an alignment or wheel balance issue, or maybe something loose in the subframe.

For anyone interested, here is a 2 page writeup of the issues I am having currently, which I will be going into the dealer soon to address:

http://beefstorm.com/TDI/2012 Golf TDI 6.docx

DEM

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2010 - dumped it for Golf R
If your wheel vibrates at high speed and gets worse as you accelerate further you need to balance your front wheels. If your butt vibrates instead of your wheel then you need to balance your rear wheels. Do not delay this.

Severn Wes

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 2 Door Manual
No I don't have any steering wheel shake. That could be an alignment or wheel balance issue, or maybe something loose in the subframe.

For anyone interested, here is a 2 page writeup of the issues I am having currently, which I will be going into the dealer soon to address:

http://beefstorm.com/TDI/2012 Golf TDI 6.docx
That's a nice write up, I hope your dealer doesn't take offense thinking you are some sort of know-it-all. I would take the service manager or a tech with you to demonstrate the problem and not rely on them to say "that's normal". I've seen some YouTube videos of DMF problems, and they show exactly what you are describing.

But here's a question for you. If I recall correctly you have been describing this problem for quite a while. (Does this indicate that I spend too much time on this forum :rolleyes:). Why haven't you taken it to the dealer sooner since you are still very comfortably in the warranty period. If the problem is what you think it is, its quite serious and potentially very damaging. Just curious.

Good Luck and let us know how things turn out.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
That's a nice write up, I hope your dealer doesn't take offense thinking you are some sort of know-it-all. I would take the service manager or a tech with you to demonstrate the problem and not rely on them to say "that's normal". I've seen some YouTube videos of DMF problems, and they show exactly what you are describing.

But here's a question for you. If I recall correctly you have been describing this problem for quite a while. (Does this indicate that I spend too much time on this forum :rolleyes:). Why haven't you taken it to the dealer sooner since you are still very comfortably in the warranty period. If the problem is what you think it is, its quite serious and potentially very damaging. Just curious.

Good Luck and let us know how things turn out.
Thanks! I do have an appointment scheduled for Tuesday. I spent about 15min describing the issues to the Service Writer, and he actually thanked me a couple of times for being so thorough in my descriptions. When I bring it in, he is having the tech ride with me so I can show him the issues. He also said I should leave the document in the car so the tech can read the issues in my words as well. I don't want to seem like a "know it all" like you mentioned, so I may change my document so I don't specifically say what I think the problems are. I may just say that I have heard DMFs are a common point of failure, and that from the problems I have experienced, they seem to point to that part.

I have been complaining about these problems for a while, and have been driving with them for 2500+ miles. I probley should have taken it in sooner, but I am very nervous about them damaging/screwing up on my car. Plus it is a real PITA to take it in for me. Luckily the problems haven't gotten worse, or to the point where I think they will start doing damage. (hopefully!) The shifter shake actually seems to have lessened with time, especially after I re-adjusted my shifter cables.

I will post what happens, hopefully all goes well, and I get my car back quickly and fixed, without any damage! Also, I hope I don't have any reoccurring issues with my DMF/Clutch, as others have had in this thread:

forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=137014

I know one person has had 3 DMFs/Clutches replaced within 30k miles!

Also, once this is fixed, I can finally put my Diesel Geek SS, which is sadly sitting in it's box.

Last edited:

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
* Issue 1

Possibly?
I have the pulsating and vibration in the clutch pedal as well, as well as the gear shift when I move it left and right in N. I believe this is normal in our cars and nothing to be concerned with. I also notice I get alot of feedback through the brake pedal as well. I think part of that is due to the fact the clutch and brake fluid share the same reservoir.

As far as the impact/thud/clunk, I am beginning to believe it is just the softness of the pendulum (Dogbone) mount's bushing softness that causes the engine to move excessively during acceleration and decel. I have this problem as well, and can't find anything wrong with it. I have seen several complaints on this from people with stock cars and 6MT transmissions, which leads me to believe it is normal, however annoying.

There are even products out there designed to minimize this movement

1. Cheap (about $40) dogbone mount inserts (ECS, BFI, ECT) that you push into the existing mount's holes to stiffin it up. Some say they cause additional vibrations or NVH, a few don't.

2. An expensive ($190) dogbone mount bushing replacement from HPA, that is designed to reduce the drivetrain movement, and not cause additional vibration.

http://www.hpamotorsport.com/mounts.htm

I will be ordering the HPA mount soon(About a month), and will be my only mod. I will do a review and let you know if it reduces this moment, and if it causes any additional vib or NVH.

The stock mount is really weak, and I believe it is the same for the 2.5, 2.0TSI, and the TDI. While it isolates the vibs well, it isn't stiff enough to handle the TDI's torque.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
Any updates? I'm still waiting for the dealer to get me in...
The dealer fixed the shifter shake issue. There was play in the selector shaft in the transmission. They replaced that, and half-assed put back together my car, and that issue was fixed. I had to go and re-put everything back together properly though, but thankfully no major damage was done during their fix.

I still have the excessive drivetrain movement clunk. I am going to check my mounts and subframe bolts this weekend, then order the HPA if everything checks out ok. I am starting to wounder if something may be loose, I guess I won't know until I check everything out.

I have another issue that popped up....When I turn the steering wheel while stopped, I get a loud metillic ticking sound. I have a vid and will be posting a thread about it soon.

csandGOLF, I will let you know about the HPA mount.

Last edited:

Type_TDi

TDI
2010 Golf
FYI, the dealer is replacing my motor mounts. I hope this does the trick and I'll know next week when I pick it up.

I've always noticed it's worse when hot, which told me it was probably a rubber component causing the problem.

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
FYI, the dealer is replacing my motor mounts. I hope this does the trick and I'll know next week when I pick it up.

I've always noticed it's worse when hot, which told me it was probably a rubber component causing the problem.
Just let them keep replacing everything they want, they will eventually arrive at the correct conclusion. Fuel filter will be what does it.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI

Make sure the dealer replaces all motor mount bolts, as they are TTY and have been known to work themselves out if re-used

I am starting to wounder if my problems are with the Motor/trans mounts (Not dogbone, already ruled that one out!) My clunk happens or not depending on the angle I am at. If my passenger side is lower then the driverside, or if I am on a decline, it tends to happen more frequently. It really feels like a loose motor mount, even though they "look" fine. Any Torque when my car is in one of these positions will reproduce the clunk, and I can even see the clunking in my engine movement. Reving my engine in N, I can see the engine move normally, but then just as the rpms drop back to idle, I can see an additional jerk when looking at the engine with the hood up.

When cruising and reproducing the clunk with on/off throttle, on certain roads it is pretty much impossible not to reproduce the clunk even with very light and slow throttle application and release. Although sometimes if I am super smooth on throttle application, I won't get the clunk initially, but latter on as the engine picks up.

Something has to be loose, this just doesn't feel right. Even thought the dealer said they "Checked" my motor mounts, who knows if they did, or to what extent. A solid dogbone mount didn't help with the clunk either, but maybe that is because it is the motor or trans mount that is bad.

Hopefully they don't screw up my mounts like they did with Type_TDi

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/66704-post29.html

vpersico2

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Bassman, I have been having the same problems with my '12 Jetta since about 500 miles (after the first tank). It only did it every once and a while back then but now it more common (every drive) I have 7500 on it now. I don't think it is a DMF problem because it doesn't always do it. Because of this I have always suspected it was the fuel filter. Also, i have noticed less power when it is vibrating. It shakes A LOT more during a DPF regen as well. I have been waiting on it because I thought the filter got changed at the 10k service ( I have 7500 now) but just ralized it gets changed at 20k. How did you push to get the dealer to change it early? I don't want them screwing things up tearing stuff apart when they don't have to.

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
Bassman, I have been having the same problems with my '12 Jetta since about 500 miles (after the first tank). It only did it every once and a while back then but now it more common (every drive) I have 7500 on it now. I don't think it is a DMF problem because it doesn't always do it. Because of this I have always suspected it was the fuel filter. Also, i have noticed less power when it is vibrating. It shakes A LOT more during a DPF regen as well. I have been waiting on it because I thought the filter got changed at the 10k service ( I have 7500 now) but just ralized it gets changed at 20k. How did you push to get the dealer to change it early? I don't want them screwing things up tearing stuff apart when they don't have to.
You'll either have to pay for them to replace it early, or do it yourself. You can try to work out a deal where they use the filter that would be installed at 20k at 10k but I dont know if they would go for that. I thought DMF originally, but after speaking to a coworker who had the DMF go bad on his 05 tdi, I don't think that's the case. From what I understand, symptoms of impending DMF failure are all noises such as clutch chatter type noises. Considering I have narrowed down the issue to fuel delivery, now I am concerned that I may have a HPFP issue since my shake isn't completely gone. I don't know, and its really bugging me. My car has 70k on it now.