2009 Jetta TDI Winter Front

shocker

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Just had this installed. Nice flap to close to control air flow. Cutout for license plate. Very nice quality.

Norm will install it for you or ship you one

Call him at 1-204-284-6650

Charles

Last edited:

Concat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDi
How much did it run you? Website?

Is there one available without the cutout for a license plate?

shocker

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Boost_virgin said:
Kinda hard to see the black on black. Looks good, do they offer them of other years?
He will make it for any vehicle. Mine was $90 installed. He will make you one without the plate cutout. You just have to call him. I told him to start putting them on ebay

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Please bear in mind that '09s and '10s are different from all other TDIs that came before, in that they have a Diesel Particulate Filter.

Until we know more, putting a winter front on an '09 or '10 is probably risky business. When your DPF regenerates it gets hotter'n snot; the design relies upon huge amounts of cooling air flowing under your hood to keep it under control (as anyone who has ever interrupted a regen and listened to those fans knows). I cannot state it as a fact, merely a worry: things might-could get out of control under the hood with a winter front on...especially if you interrupt a regen. At the very least, you might consider unbuttoning your front if you interrupt a regen and hear those fans come on.

Anyway, thanks (sincerely) for being the guinea pig here. If you don't burn down your car and maybe your house with it within, say, the next 5,000 miles, please let us know.

Last edited:

shocker

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
DoctorDawg said:
Please bear in mind that '09s and '10s are different from all other TDIs that came before, in that they have a Diesel Particulate Filter.

Until we know more, putting a winter front on an '09 or '10 is probably risky business. When your DPF regenerates it gets hotter'n snot; the design relies upon huge amounts of cooling air flowing under your hood to keep it under control (as anyone who has ever interrupted a regen and listened to those fans knows). I cannot state it as a fact, merely a worry: things might-could get out of control under the hood with a winter front on...especially if you interrupt a regen. At the very least, you might consider unbuttoning your front if you interrupt a regen and hear those fans come on.

Anyway, thanks (sincerely) for being the guinea pig here. If you don't burn down your car and maybe your house with it within, say, the next 5,000 miles, please let us know.
Ummm...you live in North Carolina...I live in Canada, Manitoba to be exact and it stays lower than -30 F for 2 weeks at a time! I don't think a regen with a front is going to kill my engine. I'd say you have more chance of that on a hot day in the summer without anything covering the grill!

I don't have the front on right now and plan on only installing it once it gets to about -10F...which is a normal winter day where I live...for a high!

Turbine Suburban

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 6 manual Gone! V6 Mustang now.
Yeah, but the regen does produce some incredible amount of BTU's. outside in motion maybe not a problem. Inside a garage or whatever, and I for one would not want the flow impeded.

Good luck with that, let us know how it works out.

shocker

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Turbine Suburban said:
Yeah, but the regen does produce some incredible amount of BTU's. outside in motion maybe not a problem. Inside a garage or whatever, and I for one would not want the flow impeded.

Good luck with that, let us know how it works out.
Actually, came home today and it was doing a regen as I pulled into the garage. I lifted the hood and it really wasnt that bad for heat. The winter front was off. Trust me guys, it gets cold up here. More than you know probably.

Pipe insulation on an 09 TDI...that is so Whiskey Tango

shocker

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Here is an interesting article. Read the part about a DPF not clearing on engines at highway speeds because of tall top gears. The engine does not reach suitable speeds/load to heat the filter enough so they suggest harder driving. It could be possible that in very cold climates such as where I live in Canada that a winter front may actually HELP clear the DPF but increasing the engine temps to equal what happens in the summer or in areas such as the deep south.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html

tedkidd

TDI
11 JSW
Wow, I guess i dont stand a chance at winning the obscure website article finder award.

Last edited:

Grich

TDI
Jetta
Here is an interesting article. Read the part about a DPF not clearing on engines at highway speeds because of tall top gears. The engine does not reach suitable speeds/load to heat the filter enough so they suggest harder driving. It could be possible that in very cold climates such as where I live in Canada that a winter front may actually HELP clear the DPF but increasing the engine temps to equal what happens in the summer or in areas such as the deep south.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html
I live in northern Ontario Canada and when I go from highway speed 60 mph down to city speed 35mph you can see the temp drop down considerably on the temp gauge. Even with a winter front, if you can call it that LOL. I couln't find one except one last year like the one in this article, it was in Saskatchewan but they wanted $250. No way was I going to pay that much for a winterfront, so I been going Redneck style with a black garbage bag. Looks crappy but works great. I froze the 1st winter ...temp gauge wouldn't even move when it was -30F Untill I blocked off the front grill with the plastic garbage bag, so I can't see it getting too hot for the DPF too work properly.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Is there any where that I can get a winter front for my 2006 Jetta in and around the Toronto Ontario area? The one from Manitoba above looks great but would like one from around my area. Sure would help the car warm up faster and stop cold drafts coming in and the wife from biting my ear off every time about how cold diesels are. Thank-you and have a great day now eh.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
I've just started using the pipe insulation...cost like $4 for more than I need.

The engine does heat up faster and hold it's heat better now.

The car was just a bit sluggish right after I did this...but I had a "duh" moment and realized that I had also covered up the air intake vent. After removing that piece the car runs perfectly.
I also left the lower passenger side uncovered...for the Inter-cooler.

The pipe is quick and easy to place and remove as required. It doesn't require any clasps or alterations. It doesn't scratch the paint. It's really cheap. And it looks okay too.

So great for my TDI...but not for the GTI. It has that honeycombed front grill...so there's nowhere to put pipe insulation. In really cold weather it also takes a while to get the temp up, and it sometimes doesn't reach the standard running temp. It only has this problem when it's like -25 or colder...so I have been thinking about solutions like the one posted for the GTI.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I just took some fluorescent light plastic from the hardware store & cut to fit inside the car in front of the radiator. I think a 2' x 4' sheet was about 8 buck$. It seems to help, has not affected my regens that I can tell, and doesn't trash the paint with the grit that gets stuck between a cover & the car. My license plate is mounted low & obscures some flow to the intercooler. When it gets about 4°C in March or April, I think the need for more air may be necessary, but I forgot & left the ting in place all last summer. Temp gauge never got above 90°C (mid line) and regens happened as expected. I doubt our summer got above 20°C (68°F) last summer, tho.