Remote start for 2011 TDI

bloke

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi SEL Premium
sorry if there's already a thread for this somewhere i checked and nothing showed up

I want to fit a remote starter to the wife's TDi since she leaves for work early enough everything is frozen up and also works nights on and off and i thought it would be nice if she could leave work and climb into a nice warm car in the morning!

anybody got the inside line on if its even possible with the TDi?

she has a 2011 sportwagen with a DSG

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
It is possible but not recommended. Diesel engines are very efficient and produce very little heat when idling. They don't heat up much until you start driving.

That is why the A5s and A6s have an auxiliary electric heater and heated seats that will give you some heat within about 3 blocks of leaving your driveway.

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
This might sound a bit harsh but really - Atlanta Georga and you want a remote start ?

Not necessary - these cars don't really heat up until you start driving them anyway.

If you have a good battery (with a new car, you better) and proper oil (a 5w30-40 Diesel rated oil, like the ones listed in your owner's manual), and following the proper start procedure (turn on ignition wait until glow plug pigtail goes out, engage starter) - you should not have any problems at all starting in the coldest possible weather Atlanta will ever see. Heck - doing the above, I've had no problems starting when at 13 F, and you can see we have a number of Canadian and Alaskan members (and northern CONUS) - where it gets REALLY COLD - and they don't have issues...

Tell your wife she should be wearing a winter coat until the car starts producing heat anyway...

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
The car does have electric heat, just crank up the heat and reticulate the air.The heated seats help to.

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
It is possible but not recommended. Diesel engines are very efficient and produce very little heat when idling. They don't heat up much until you start driving.

That is why the A5s and A6s have an auxiliary electric heater and heated seats that will give you some heat within about 3 blocks of leaving your driveway.
Yup. You would seriously have to idle it for-freakin-ever to get any noticeable warmth from the car.

Also, Atlanta and she's worried about the car being cold? lol

bloke

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup. You would seriously have to idle it for-freakin-ever to get any noticeable warmth from the car.

Also, Atlanta and she's worried about the car being cold? lol
she isn't worried about it and I dont care how much colder it gets where anydody chooses to live iced up windows are iced up windows and running the car for ten mins before you get in it cleans that problem up I know since thats how I get ice off the windows that way usually!

it was a simple question really :rolleyes:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Actually, since the car has an electric heater, it would be beneficial to use a remote start. The electric heater will immediately start producing heat and the additional electrical load will warm the engine up faster. Starting the engine 5 minutes before you leave will likely defrost the windows and get the seat heater nice and warm.

bloke

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually, since the car has an electric heater, it would be beneficial to use a remote start. The electric heater will immediately start producing heat and the additional electrical load will warm the engine up faster. Starting the engine 5 minutes before you leave will likely defrost the windows and get the seat heater nice and warm.
Yep that what we did last winter and the car is toasties by the time you get in it. I just wanted to avoid the going out to get it started part although that way you can turn the seats on. We wont be able to do that with the remote start I know but clearing the ice isn't soothing "wearing a winter coat" will help with lol

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The seats are a button now instead of the old dial? Didn't realize that. With the dials, you could just pre-select what temperature you wanted when you parked the car at night.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
A frost heater would help with your problem.

4whlr

TDI
2011 Wagen
Georgia

If I lived in Georgia I would want a remote start for A/C more than heat.