1.9 TDI 81kw no power, all measurements OK.

WarmStart

TDI
TDI
Hello.

I have lack of power on my 1.9 TDI 81 kw. It's not limp mode but car are not moving as it should.
I have been driving this car more than 100 000 km. Had always been lack off power. Weird is that in some time (rarely) in second gear car accelerate as it should. And after a long trip towing heavy trailer car has more power than regularly but not long time.
I have check all mechanical thing what I can think and use ross-tech, all measurements are as they have to be, even the fuel quantity when accelerating is 44.4 (or similar) mg/stroke.

How ecu knows injected fuel quantity?

WarmStart

TDI
TDI
I have checked boost and vacuum leaks more than three times last few years, no leaks. All vacuum solenoids have been cleaned and work good, good vacuum.
New turbo, adjusted as it's have to be.
Compared MAP with mechanical gauge.
New MAF.
I replace fuel filter at least once a year.
There are no black smoke behind the car (NEVER)! ECU is saying to the VCDS that there is fuel but actually there is not so much fuel as it should be.
Where does the ECU get info for the fueling?
Is she using needle lift sensor for that?
Or is she using map for that, ECU is saying to the Quantity Adjuster how much to move and the calculate fuel quantity, but Actually ECU does not see how much fuel there is?

duke21

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 TDI BMN
Same problem like i had always with my PPD170. I bet its something fuel related...

Kerma_tuned

TDI
2002 jetta tdi alh
Check the intake and make sure its not carnoned up? Over half the intake on my tdi was restricted because of carbon build up and made it feel like there was a lack of power

WarmStart

TDI
TDI

WarmStart

TDI
TDI
Yes I have compared VCDS shown reading with manual pressure gauge, map sensor is showing accurate numbers.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I could be wrong but what I’ve always thought is if you have boost you have fuel. So maybe you have a bent connecting rod or something to bleed the cylinder pressure? Kinda odd to me that you can make the correct boost but not have power?

WarmStart

TDI
TDI
I taked apart the injector pump electronics and cleaned all the metal.
No difference!
I found in VCDS where I can check Quantity Adjuster voltage to the ECU.
min. -0.6...v
max.- 4.6...v
full throttle when accelerating.- 3.6..v

(some months ago I tried my friend car MAF. And compared reading with my own car MAF, reading was quite similars. Then I disconnected MAF and made same accelerations and then I reconnected the MAF (engine running) then car was acting like it should, tire spin in a second gear on a tarmac. MAF readings was exactly the same when car was not moving correctly.)

dieseleux

Théoricien -TDIClub Contributor
TDI
Jetta TDI 02
Group 15, what Actual et Request value at WOT?
Group 10, what intake pressure at WOT and 3000-4000rpm?
Group 13, what value, engine >70celcius and idle, no light or AC.
Group 4, What actual and specified start? (cold engine)

Dieseleux

WarmStart

TDI
TDI
After cleaning metal from the injector pump the engine has a little bit better respond after changing gear.

Group 4
Engine temp 25C
903 /min 3,7-4,0 BTDC 3.5-4.0 BTDC 64-70%
Engine temp 45C
903 /min 0.4 BTDC 0.2 BTDC 43%

Group 13
Engine temp 30C
-0.52 mg/str 1.60 mg/str -0.71 mg/str -0.40 mg/str
Engine temp 90C
-0.75 mg/str 1.65 mg/str -0.40 mg/st -0.47 mg/str

group 10 and 15

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Metal in the injection pump? Please look for a new pump, and if you can inspect the cam plate, you’ll likely find the culprit, I assume.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I could be wrong but what I’ve always thought is if you have boost you have fuel. So maybe you have a bent connecting rod or something to bleed the cylinder pressure? Kinda odd to me that you can make the correct boost but not have power?
If you have more boost you can then add more fuel but it doesn't automatically follow.

WarmStart

TDI
TDI
Metal in the injection pump? Please look for a new pump, and if you can inspect the cam plate, you’ll likely find the culprit, I assume.
There are metal in every pump, if it isn't cleaned recently. Electronic fuel control will collect metal around itself. This metal is fine metal dust.

WarmStart

TDI
TDI
If pump is dead then there ain't no improvement in engine power.(I have had car with worn out pump) But how car got power when I used friend MAF, but all reading was same as my own MAF.

Can it be ECU map problem as hot engine start problem?

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Put a PD 150 one on. It’s a little larger that the stock alh one. I have a vr6 one that’s comparable to the pd150 over seas. Runs great with it.