How to do your buyback calculations (& post them here!)

Big R

TDI
2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi Q5
Still Off on the Numbers

I'm still showing a large discrepancy ($4K +) between the Attachment 1A table and the calculator in this thread (which give me the same, consistent number) and the number offered by VW in the "official" site. (significantly lower number).

Can't seem to get anyone to address the discrepancy.

2015 Audi A3 Premium Plus in Massachusetts currently 19,000 miles.
Table and this forum calculator say $38,588
claims.vwgoa.com says $34,207

Anyone? Bueller?

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
I'm still showing a large discrepancy ($4K +) between the Attachment 1A table and the calculator in this thread (which give me the same, consistent number) and the number offered by VW in the "official" site. (significantly lower number).
Anyone? Bueller?
Have you contacted the claims hotline to ask? I'd make sure I have my calculations and can back them up when going into the buyback meeting if you think there is a discrepancy. It is only software on the claims site figuring this out and software has bugs.

Big R

TDI
Have you contacted the claims hotline to ask? I'd make sure I have my calculations and can back them up when going into the buyback meeting if you think there is a discrepancy. It is only software on the claims site figuring this out and software has bugs.
I have indeed called them...and they were, to put it politely, somewhat less than helpful.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
Anyone? Bueller?

Not sure if this has been asked already, but if you accidentally entered the wrong purchase date, eg May 16, vice May 15, you will only get half of the restitution, around $4000 less. You have to call in and check that. Several people have already run into that.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
Anyone? Bueller?
Not sure if you clarified this before but when did you buy your car. The tables published in June assume you purchase before Sept x 2015. If you purchased after the news broke you are only initially eligible for 50% of the restitution part and the claims.vwgoa.com site would reflect that.

Big R

TDI
Not sure if this has been asked already, but if you accidentally entered the wrong purchase date, eg May 16, vice May 15, you will only get half of the restitution, around $4000 less. You have to call in and check that. Several people have already run into that.
That doesn't help either...it's the base amount that is off. Restitution seems to be calculating properly at 20% + $2900 (or whatever the magic number is)

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
That doesn't help either...it's the base amount that is off. Restitution seems to be calculating properly at 20% + $2900 (or whatever the magic number is)
The buyback amount in column 1 of attachment 1A of the June PDFs already includes 100% of the restitution. (is that what you are comparing to the "base amount" you get from online site?).

Big R

TDI
The buyback amount in column 1 of attachment 1A of the June PDFs already includes 100% of the restitution. (is that what you are comparing to the "base amount" you get from online site?).
No...I get all that. Check out my original thread on previous page...Calculator in this thread (and .pdf tables from June settlement docs) give a number that is $4K more than VW's site.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
No...I get all that. Check out my original thread on previous page...Calculator in this thread (and .pdf tables from June settlement docs) give a number that is $4K more than VW's site.
Well, I am stumped then, except to say that there was some uncertainty about the 2015 values that were published in June.

You did buy before Sept 2015, right?

Big R

TDI
Well, I am stumped then, except to say that there was some uncertainty about the 2015 values that were published in June.

You did buy before Sept 2015, right?
YEP...again, though, it's the "base" amount that is so different.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
BIG R: Do you still know the exact MSRP for your vehicle? The return number should be .717 times that number with adjustments for any additional options or mileage. That gives you something solid to argue with them about if that shows the discrepancy. Of course if the return amount goes up, so does the restitution.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
I have indeed called them...and they were, to put it politely, somewhat less than helpful.

I know what you mean, having called them with some other questions.

Big R

TDI
BIG R: Do you still know the exact MSRP for your vehicle? The return number should be .717 times that number with adjustments for any additional options or mileage. That gives you something solid to argue with them about if that shows the discrepancy. Of course if the return amount goes up, so does the restitution.
No...but thanks...and it should be easy to find. Where did that .717 number come from?

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
No...but thanks...and it should be easy to find. Where did that .717 number come from?
NADA values weren't used for some '15s. Rather they came up with an off the wall .717 for depreciation. That times MSRP gives you the base return figure. Then adjust for mileage. Options should already be in the MSRP. See question 21 of your settlement booklet. For a buyback of $38K+ your MSRP should have been just over $40K. For my '15 Passat MSRP must have been used because the number matches the other calculators and tables. If you are still way off, it's possible there was a NADA value for your vehicle that was used in VW website calculations. Note that the booklet does not say that MSRP was used for all '15s.

Last edited:

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
How to remove foot from mouth

I think I owe people an apology regarding the mileage calculation

Just now I was manually computing buyback figures, using NADA Sept 2015 book for their values and mileage tables.
It seems that VW’s mileage adjustment tables include the the 20% restitution component.

If VW could have included verbiage to the effect that the mileage figures reflect the 20% restitution, I would not have made an argument.

NADA Mileage table for the 45,001-50,000 mileage bracket, under the Class II row, their figure is $2,175.
$2,175 + 20% = $2,610; which is the same $2,610 in the VW Mileage table.

I had previously argued that the mileage tables did not reflect the 20% and therefore must be added.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I owe people an apology regarding the mileage calculation
Just now I was manually computing buyback figures, using NADA Sept 2015 book for their values and mileage tables.
It seems that VW’s mileage adjustment tables include the the 20% restitution component.
If VW could have included verbiage to the effect that the mileage figures reflect the 20% restitution, I would not have made an argument.
NADA Mileage table for the 45,001-50,000 mileage bracket, under the Class II row, their figure is $2,175.
$2,175 + 20% = $2,610; which is the same $2,610 in the VW Mileage table.
I had previously argued that the mileage tables did not reflect the 20% and therefore must be added.
Then are figures for excess mileage also 20% more or less? Most of the complaints are from those with excess mileage. If the VW chart numbers reflect a 20% greater penalty, there will be more unhappy campers.

Last edited:

TexKlein

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
I pre-purchased the second and third year annual maintenance when I bought my 2015 GSW. Does anyone know if that can be refunded or transferred. I'm not sure I can find the paperwork on it to look it up.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
Try googling VW Maintenance Plan or the correct name of the plan. The rules should be applicable to everyone.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I pre-purchased the second and third year annual maintenance when I bought my 2015 GSW. Does anyone know if that can be refunded or transferred. I'm not sure I can find the paperwork on it to look it up.
Don't think so. My car was totaled this month. I lost out on my floor mats, tint, snow tires and wheels, Ad Blue, fuel treatment, trunk liner, etc.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Andy_2009_JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (DSG)[SOLD BACK], 2012 Golf 2.5L Gasser (5MT), 2017 Alltrack S (6MT)
Chiming in with another data point after registering tonight. 2009 JSW w/DSG, no pano roof.

Vehicle Return Amount $6,850.00
Additional Restitution $5,100.00
Total Buyback Amount $11,950.00
Amount VW Will Pay to You $11,950.00
Projected Mileage at Return 165,001 -170,000
Tentative Return Date 11/01/2016

Big R

TDI
Mystery solved on the alleged discrepancy on my Audi A3 calcs.

Turns out I'm driving Premium, not Premium Plus...who knew?

Doh!

Twoarrowswest

TDI
2012 Jetta, 2006 Jetta
So just called the number from the online calculation.

I was told that all of the additions don't count for my car because they were special order. So the additional money for the auto, moon roof, Fender stereo and heated seats will not be added on.

I was given the number for the lawyer if I had further questions.

So to sum it up, they are saying my VIN is a base model and that is what I will receive as compensation.

Anyone know about that?

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Basically yes, but all this stuff was on the car new, not special ordered so I can't figure out why the VIN doesn't reflect the options.
The window sticker for your car will show factory options. Maybe that will help your case. Doubt if you still have your sticker. Try monroneylabels.com. You might be able to get a copy of your sticker from that site. Good luck.

HowieE

TDI
2015 Passat stick shift
Are they trying to say that moon roof was installed as an add on after the car arrived in the states.

The vin number will reference back to an AS BUILT document. GM includes that information inside the glove compartment in coded notation.

Ask VW to produce the as built documentation for that number. The Germans record everything in detail.

Twoarrowswest

TDI
2012 Jetta, 2006 Jetta
Are they trying to say that moon roof was installed as an add on after the car arrived in the states.

The vin number will reference back to an AS BUILT document. GM includes that information inside the glove compartment in coded notation.

Ask VW to produce the as built documentation for that number. The Germans record everything in detail.
Thanks! I'll do that! :D

sloguydoin75

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 2004 jetta wagen
Okay guys, do you drive yours cars? My 2010 TDI Sportwagon has 170K. I bought it less than 3 years ago with 82K. I guess my wife and I never leave home without the car.
I think we will take a $$ beating for being the drivers wanted . So we plan to say fix it and give us the money and drive away.