Tire chains

geezerb

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan Manual
Is there a particular brand of tire chains that are best for use on the Jetta? I've heard of cable chains being used but will other types work just as well?
I'm thinking that the wrong selection could make short work of the wheels wells.

geezerb

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
I run cables on my mk4. I highly suggest them. Easy to install and very good clearance. I paid about $120 for 'em. I can install them in about 10 minutes total, both sides. No need for tools or hubs, they just slide on and auto adjust.

bshapperd

TDI
2009 JSW CR 2.0 w/DSG. Formerly 1992 1.6TD Jetta
Right on...a Canadian...what brand might your cable chains be? and where did you get them? (Hopefully a national chain)

I just bought a brand new set from Craigslist for $40. You should shop Craigslist/Used Victoria-Nanaimo first. Mos people buy chains for single occasions, then sell them off. Plenty of selection on the used market.

B

geezerb

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan Manual
Tire Chains

I just picked up my set of Shur Grip Z's and am quite impressed in their quality. I will make the comment that I would not want to mess with the Chinese guy who put them into the plastic case they came in. Just by looking at them, the volumn must have increased by 33%. Fortunately, my wife had a canvas bag which hold them for the time being. Maybe after a few uses, I will be able to get them back into the box.

Geezerb;)