View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2003, 08:51   #11
Randy_Graves

Default AirBag warning light stays on

Thanks to everyone who offered help and advise! You input is of great value to me (and our 3 VW's [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] )

I wanted to write and follow up on my original post. The choice I made regarding how to correct our airbag warning light was to purchase a ROSS-Tech Hex-Com and Bentley's CD-ROM.

The Ross-Tech software and web site have a very explicit warning regarding its use on 2000/2001 airbag controllers with a part number 6Q0-909-605-a, such as ours.

Before using the Ross-Tech to querry our vulnerable 6Q0-909-605-A airbag controller; using www.car-parts.com I found 2 wrecking yards who use the Ross-Tech VAG-Com to test their controllers before selling. It took a little hunting, but with the exchange of a couple of emails I had reasonable assurance that I could puchase a 6Q0-909-605-A that had been successfully tested and was compatable with the Ross-Tech VAG-Com. Price for these units was $200.

I had no luck in finding a used 1C0-909-605-A (the replacement airbag controller unit which does not have a compatability issue with the Ross-Tech VAG-Com). The only source I could find for the 1C0-909-605-A was our local dealer who quoted me $507.

In short, with a fall-back plan of purchase a used & compatable 6Q0-909-605-A. I went ahead and tested my unit with the Ross-Tech VAG-Com. My unit tested successfully! I was able to read the code (intermitent high resistance to the drive side airbag) and clear the code.

It is note-worthy to point out that 2 others had replied to me indicating they had the exact same problem on their 99 Golf's.

I will wait and see if the fault code exhibits it'self again before go after the connector/circuit in the drives seat.

Thanks to everyone for all your help!
Randy_Graves is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.04310 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 15.51 Kb. compressed to 14.08 Kb. by saving 1.43 Kb. (9.22%)]