Post Your Dynos Here Ii

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not bad, ibanix, but I wonder about your pump. You should be getting higher numbers with your setup. I saw 173 with a very similar setup on a more conservative dyno. What max boost are you running?

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Last edited:

ibanix

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Not bad, ibanix, but I wonder about your pump. You should be getting higher numbers with your setup. I saw 173 with a very similar setup on a more conservative dyno. What max boost are you running?
Max boost is 25psi.

I do have clutch slip...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My experience with clutch slip on the dyno is either it does or it doesn't. I haven't had the experience of it slipping and then hooking up again. I think the jagged lines in your dyno are there simply because the operator didn't smooth them in the software. Were you seeing 25 PSI on the gauge, or did the dyno measure it? I find that VDO boost gauges (I have them in 3 cars) run 1-2 PSI high.

Also, as someone else pointed out, you were getting some heat soak, as shown in the drop in power in the second and third pull.

ibanix

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
Yeah, I'm sure I was getting heatsoak.

My boost was from my VDO gauges. I see 25psi, tapering off to about 24psi after 4000rpm. We ran out to 5000 rpm.

The clutch slip is pretty evident when driving... rpm shoots up from 2000 to 3000 quickly and then settles in and hauls along. I thought I saw this on the dyno as well. (I was sitting in the passenger seat).

What makes you suspect my pump?

Also, I should note that at WOT I have moderate smoke - a good haze, but nothing like the massive black clouds that Charlie and Robert put out.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The noise you report in the other thread points to your pump, imo. And you should smoke pretty heavily on the dyno. You may be underfueled, either because of the pump fading or the tune. Check fueling request versus actual on VAG-COM for a better idea of what's going on.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
I guess it's all in your point of view. One guy's "overfueled" is someone else's "underfueled". Just like "too much smoke" is purely subjective.

FWIW, none of those "KERMA tuned" guys at the dyno day had what you might call "dyno tunes" or any special "dyno only" adjustments. They just came off the street in daily driver trim, ran, and went home adjusted the same way. Everyone had a blast! (maybe next time we can have an award for "best smoke show" but I think everyone just kind of winged it this time around)

This state of tuning is, by definition, "underfueled" if you want to talk strictly in terms of what is achieveable on the dyno without regard to smoke control or safety. If you frame it in terms of a balance between smoke, EGT, and especially turbo warranties, ;) IMO it is about right. Again, subjective.

This is especially relevant in california, where they have a hotline for reporting smoking cars to CARB.

Last edited:

ibanix

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
So Charlie, can you write a 'full fuel' tune? With the W/M setup I have, I can reduce the smoke considerably.

EGT has not really been an issue for me - I have to go WOT for a good bit to get up to 1450F, and W/M won't let me get above that. It just hits there and won't go any higher.

I'd definately like to try such a tune.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Your VR6 clutch is already slipping! :cool:

The mechanics of what you're asking for are very easy to do on my end, but there's an uncomfortable feeling in my gut that follows such requests. In the software, just (kind of) max out certain values, and it's (kind of) done. It's not how I like to do it.

I prefer to factor safety and longevity into the software as much as possible, rather than rely on the end- user to always "do the right thing". To this end, there's lots of time spent to set everything up as close to optimum as possible for each person's equipment and preferences regarding smoke and such.

However, if you really want "such a tune" then obviously you have more personal responsibility to watch gages, and make sure everything stays ok.

We should discuss this further over e-mail or give me a call tomorrow.

ibanix said:
So Charlie, can you write a 'full fuel' tune? With the W/M setup I have, I can reduce the smoke considerably.

EGT has not really been an issue for me - I have to go WOT for a good bit to get up to 1450F, and W/M won't let me get above that. It just hits there and won't go any higher.

I'd definately like to try such a tune.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
KERMA said:
I guess it's all in your point of view. One guy's "overfueled" is someone else's "underfueled". Just like "too much smoke" is purely subjective.

FWIW, none of those "KERMA tuned" guys at the dyno day had what you might call "dyno tunes" or any special "dyno only" adjustments. They just came off the street in daily driver trim, ran, and went home adjusted the same way. Everyone had a blast! (maybe next time we can have an award for "best smoke show" but I think everyone just kind of winged it this time around)

This state of tuning is, by definition, "underfueled" if you want to talk strictly in terms of what is achieveable on the dyno without regard to smoke control or safety. If you frame it in terms of a balance between smoke, EGT, and especially turbo warranties, ;) IMO it is about right. Again, subjective.

This is especially relevant in california, where they have a hotline for reporting smoking cars to CARB.
My experience is that adding fuel alone (I've changed injection quantity on the dyno and re-run the car) increases torque, and has a limited, if any, affect on HP. And FWIW, I've never run a car with a dyno only tune. I run dynos to find out what the car's delivering day-to-day, so it would be pointless (for me, anyway) to have a dyno-only setup. However, my cars always smoke more on the dyno than on the street or track.

I'm going to re-run my wagon with its new exhaust, perhaps as soon as this week. I'll post the results for comparison.

ibanix

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
Getting my new clutch shortly :D

I'll give you a shout via email.

Cheers,
Joshua

KERMA said:
Your VR6 clutch is already slipping! :cool:

The mechanics of what you're asking for are very easy to do on my end, but there's an uncomfortable feeling in my gut that follows such requests. In the software, just (kind of) max out certain values, and it's (kind of) done. It's not how I like to do it.

I prefer to factor safety and longevity into the software as much as possible, rather than rely on the end- user to always "do the right thing". To this end, there's lots of time spent to set everything up as close to optimum as possible for each person's equipment and preferences regarding smoke and such.

However, if you really want "such a tune" then obviously you have more personal responsibility to watch gages, and make sure everything stays ok.

We should discuss this further over e-mail or give me a call tomorrow.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
IndigoBlueWagon said:
I run dynos to find out what the car's delivering day-to-day, so it would be pointless (for me, anyway) to have a dyno-only setup. However, my cars always smoke more on the dyno than on the street or track.
Agreed. However, it may be fun to do a "see what she'll do with this hardware" kind of thing.

IndigoBlueWagon said:
I'm going to re-run my wagon with its new exhaust, perhaps as soon as this week. I'll post the results for comparison.
IMO direct comparison is the real value of a dyno. Dyno a baseline, change something, retest, see how the change helped or not. But I must admit, dyno days sure are fun. :D

BioChoppers

Vendor
TDI
2003 jetta 5spd wagon
KERMA said:
Yes & Yes,

I've been getting some training on the dyno recently. One thing that is really surprising is how much more smoke a car makes on the dyno compared to what is visible while driving it on the street, even with stock nozzles.

I think it would be safe to say that if someone completely stopped smoking while sitting still on the dyno there is an underfueled condition occuring.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
BioChoppers said:
Yes & Yes,

I've been getting some training on the dyno recently. One thing that is really surprising is how much more smoke a car makes on the dyno compared to what is visible while driving it on the street, even with stock nozzles.

I think it would be safe to say that if someone completely stopped smoking while sitting still on the dyno there is an underfueled condition occuring.
x2! Oh wait, that's my car :(

KROUT

persona non grata
It smoked just not alot. Once the rpms hit 3000 there was no smoke. My tune is a little light on fuel on the top end with the 17/22. I had the iq set around 2.

DbLog

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 335d
Where can I find the the dynos and baselines for the products you sell/sold?

KERMA said:
IMO direct comparison is the real value of a dyno. Dyno a baseline, change something, retest, see how the change helped or not. But I must admit, dyno days sure are fun. :D

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
This is my Dyno from Sept.-27, TDI SF-Bay Area dyno day, RC6, W/M, 502's, 17/22, Stock LUK clutch, only boosting 22 psi, Sorry about not posting about my torque, But LCD dyno shop, did not have their system set up for TQ, only HP.

Last edited:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Too bad you guys didn't have the optical sensor working. Either way, MAXRPM's dyno has some SERIOUS area under the curve! Perfect IMO.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
KROUT said:
Nice results what tune are you using?
RC6, sorry I forgot to post it, this is my first dyno ever, so I would like to ask if I were to install Race 520's in my car just to dyno it, do you think I would be able get over 200 HP? I was short by 4.12 HP

turbobooster

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS 5-speed (sold); 2011 Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Maxrpm, was this with a 10mm pump?

Nice numbers, by the way.

KROUT

persona non grata
With that kind of power he has to have the 11mm. I dont think you will get much over 170 with a 10mm.