My Old Friend Rebuild, 2003 Golf TDI

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
I Have owned my 2003 golf since 2007 she had 27 500km when I bought her. Back in 2014 she had 340 000km and it was starting to show so we bought a brand new 2014 Golf Wagon Wolfsburg edition. But I could not bring myself to get rid of my old mk4 after all we have went trough so much together, 2 moves over 2700km in distance, bringing my son home after having to go see him avery weekend at the the hospital 500km away. So we decided to keep her I would use her for work much easier on construction sites. Fast forward to diesel gate I am so happy I didn't get rid of my old gall since we want to get rid of are new wagon (come on VW buy it back!) and keep driving are old mk4. Only thing with that is the car need a good tune up so here come the fun part.

She needs: breaks, brake lines, calliper rebuild, hand break cables, timing belt, injectors, lots of rust repairs lots of small stuff like driver door micro switch hatch struts and a good cleaning and much more.

Here is what she look like before we bought are new wagon back in 2014
[/URL]

Ok It started in May 2016 with a brand new timing belt and new accessory belt tensioner. At VW Autowerks in Gatineau

In April new springs in the front one side was broken. Shocks are Bilstein are about 3 years old now so there still like new. Changed the bushing and bearing and top plate.

Top right new sway bar links from the dealer I do have 500$ to spend at the dealer after all thanks VW.

Little trick here the cover over the shock is actually zip tied so it stays down.

This is how she look like after the refreshed suspension still on the winter tires.

up in the air ready to start the rebuild

All ready to go

Last edited:

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Interior rebuild is almost all done now but I took lost of picture on the way everything seat wise and carpet was taken out ah what a mess I wish I had a garage would make this so much easier.

And Lost of rust driver foot well

All cleaned

All painted with POR 15

Back seats were bad too the unibody plugs were all worn out so they started to rust from there and the sound absorber just helped the rust by keeping everything nice and wet.

I didn't bother changing the plugs instead I plugged the hols with 2 layers of fibreglass cloth and POR 15 rust paint It Is super strong

All the rust inside is fixed

Had to get a new underpayment at VW 198$

It's funny the new one is white old one was black like the one in the back

Now thats going to get rid of the musty smell

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Next interior cleaning:
I don't understand how VW prices there parts I bought a new carpet 218$ CND at that price it wasn't worth the time to try and clean the other one. Now the car has a new car smell to it.

Only thing is I had to change the carpet pins so I took them out of my old carpet for the front and I figured since I'm there might as well to the back too so I got some for the back out of a a4 at the local scrap yard.

Crazy what a bit of interior shampoo will do
before

after

I cleaned the seat belts too now that was worth it they come in and out so smooth now.

also found this at the scrap yard

And wile I was dealing with the inside I checked my blend door and to my surprise it was like new

Now I don't have any pictures but it did rebuild my seats they are super easy to clean once out of the car I actually took them all apart and added a lumbar support to the driver side from a scavenged seat. I also rejuvenated the foam using a trick I learnt form YouTube AMMO NYC at 3:26 and fixed the passenger side heated seat the temperature sound was disconnected hopefully that fixes it.

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Now for the callipers

I know It's not that expensive to replace them but they still work and I did rebuild them 2 years ago I just wanted to make them better then OEM. I took them all apart painted and reassembled with new seal kit.

All off the car

the fronts taken apart the one on the left has been cleaned

Now to the back taking them apart You can see were the corrosion accumulates and causes the hand brake lever the seize.

The corrosion all cleaned up

now the levelling with JB weld

And after silver calliper paint from Dupli colour

All getting one last coat of clear calliper paint then they were baked as per the instructions in a little toaster oven.

Had to order the calliper kit from the UK to my door took 3 days!!! thats crazy fast not that I was needed the car's been on jacks for over 4 months now, the cost was decent too around 60$ cnd with shipping. I also painted all other components with POR 15 rust paint.

The piston needs to be taken apart to change the seal inside the picture was for reference on the order of the parts

The front calliper seals were in very good condition they just needed a cleaning

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Thanks MattRabbit I sure hope so I can't wait to start driving it again

Finally installed my custom trailer wiring that clips on to the back lights of the mk4 with connector scavenged from the wiring harnesses of a mk3 Golf
passed the wires though the grommet under the sunroof drain. The wires will be hidden behind the bumper.

Last edited:

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Did some more work in the past few days let's start with the finished hitch install it's an improvement on the original hidden hitch. I backed up the spot were you bolt it leaving the tow hook available like the curt hitch. I also added a 4 wire plug in on the valance you can see it just above the right side of the chain holes.

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Yesterday I installed the newly repainted torsion beam
with new brake line and new Volkswagen clips

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Today I installed the brakes it looks so clean and new I wish it could stay that way. I also taped the new hand brake cables with rubber electrical tape (This stuff is really cool it is pliable at -40C how do I know, 30 plus feet in the air In the freezing cold fixing temporary electrical entrance that got ripped out by a dump truck ho forgot to lower his bed... Fun times.) and then regular electrical tape in the hopes of protecting the cables.

Finally installed my wheels with new tires well at least on the back

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Your work is impressive. I maintain the MKIV is one of the best, if not the best, of VW's smaller platforms. It's nice to see another one saved.

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Little continuation anomaly here forgot to post some pictures I had taken before installing the rear beam. Almost done the back end of the car now. Installed my repainted fuel tank straps with brand new bolts the others were all rusty. Also cleaned the plastic trim parts and installed one brand new piece (about 40$)the one from spare wheel well to the fuel tank straps. I also took the time to clean the heat shield on the fuel tank and change the rusted out grommets? I guess that what you call them

Also my heat shield for the muffler was falling and at around 200$ for a new I elected to fix it instead

All fixed

Last edited:

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Today lots of painting for rust removal under the car and than change the location of of my frost heater plug to the driver side fender with a marineco plug

Then I changed the bushing on the shifter from one that came from a scrap yard it feels like new now

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Today painted some more. Did the lines on the power steering rack they were really rusty

Changed the turbo actuator the old one had been acting up for 6 1/2 years now how do I remember... Well went down to Toronto avery weekend to see my new born on limp mod because of the actuator.

Also painted my gear shifter
Installed a brand new turbo oil return line with new bolts and flange

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
I the rear calipers, how did you press the rear seal back in (the ones that go under the handbrake lever)?

Great work btw!!

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
You mean the ones on the outside? If so I pushed them by hand they are not super tight but you have to make sure the the caliber is clean and they go in well.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Ah ok thanks! I guess I'll have to do more scraping next time. The corrosion buildup around that area is crazy!

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Ah ok thanks! I guess I'll have to do more scraping next time. The corrosion buildup around that area is crazy!
Yes it is! Thats why I painted the calipers I wanted to see if that would help stop the corrosion.

Louis, did you use new seals for the e-brake shafts? If so, where did you source them from?
Thanks, Tony
Yes all new seals ordered them on eBay from

BiggRed

The quality was very good apart from the blender caps but still had the OEM ones. All and all the cost was 60$ Canadian.

Its the kit on the top of the picture

Worth metionning the plier I used were from Princes Auto the only ones I could find long but small enough

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Oh And the best part of the calliper kit It arrived in 3 days from the UK. Crazy fast takes us longer to get stuff from within the country.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Oh And the best part of the calliper kit It arrived in 3 days from the UK. Crazy fast takes us longer to get stuff from within the country.
Thanks for the tip. I ordered rebuild parts for my starter (brush box, bushings, solenoid) and they came from Ireland in less than a week.

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Yeah did that last year. Just in time too the brushes most likely only had a couple of weeks left of starts. The coper wire on the brushes was about to touch the router.

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Was at my friends garage to bleed the brakes the other day and so happy with what it looks like underneath I had to take some pictures.

Also have finished pictures of the marineco plug for the frost heater the fender isn't painted yet but keeping that for next summer. Although I do have one that is in good shape but I didn't want to put a big hole in it.

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls

Did a wheel alignment last week end used the string method worked well know the steering wheel is nice and straight. Also used metal plates grease and a tiles to make the front wheels turn freely.

Here's one of my little tricks to prepare for winter I always put anti seize and electrical tape over my tie rod and it prevents corrosion. This is after two winters.

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Snow was in the forecast so put my brand new Nokian Hakkappelita 8 studded winter tires on can't wait to try them. They are on 15 inch Corrado wheels I got for 100$. Also put some mud flaps in this case it's snow flaps. They are actually cutting boards from Ikea will see how those last.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Need to do the ASR mod. Nothing short of feet of snow will stop that car with studs and ASR .
I have the same same setup on my daughters 03 nb, ASR , studded tires plus I gave her car a 2" lift kit...... Pretty impressive in the snow.

Very nice rebuild, I need to do that to mine, 01 golf 370,xxx miles in snow belt/salt country.

What is the string method?

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Thanks for the kind works

Ill have to look in to the ASR mod I don't know what that is. I had taught of a 1 or 2 inch lift but I do like the stock ride hight, but I can just imagine how more impressive it would be for the snow.

The string method of alignning a car basally consist of building a square box around the car so you can take precise mesurement from front to back of there wheel to compare toe in or toe out. There are several ways of doing this some much more precise like on race cars witch are on scales and have marked centre lines on the car as a reference point for the alignment jig to a more crude method like I did.