no voltage at socket for parking lamp 06 Jetta?

wdhille

TDI
2006 Jetta
My Sunday project was to replace the small parking lamp bulb in the headlamp cluster for our 06 TDI. After getting the socket out (figure that trick thanks to a forum search....) I tested the bulb and it tested good. Tested for voltage at the socket and no volts at the socket. Jiggled a few wires but nothing. The bulb on the drivers side lights fine, is there maybe a relay that controls this someplace?

thanks in advance for any help

Wayne

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Not 100% sure but I suspect that when the lighting controller detects a bad bulb it turns power off to that bulb. Try putting in a new bulb and then cycle the lights on and off a few times so the controller can detect that there is a good bulb in that position and re-power the socket. You might have to turn the key on to get the controller to detect the new bulb.

Anyway, that's what it seemed like on my car. After replacing the small bulb on the drivers side, it didn't work the first time I turned the lights on so I kinda scratched my head and turned the lights on again this time with the ignition on and the bulb lit and the burned bulb indicator light was off.

Last edited:

Matt65

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
Ol'Rattler said:
Not 100% sure but I suspect that when the lighting controller detects a bad bulb it turns power off to that bulb.
This has been the case on other bulbs. Replace the bulb, Ignition off then on. Worked for me.