ALH 250+ HP Internals

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
After reading and responding to some other threads here, I'm wondering what needs to be done to have a reliable 250 (or more) HP ALH. I'm pretty happy with my car now, but wondering what it would take to get a good bump in power. From what I've read, much over 22-24 pounds of boost requires stronger rods.

I'm just in the planning stage and I have a complete ALH engine I could use for the build. However, if I'm going to change the rods, what else should be done? I've read lots of threads, but not 100% sure what is the best way to go. As I understand it the BEW and ARL blocks are stronger. I know the BHW pistons are said to be the best to use. Can the BHW block be used with ALH accessories (head, front plate, pump, etc)? The BEW and ARL cranks have larger rod journals. Any appreciable difference between them?

I'm thinking the BHW or BEW block with BHW pistons using aftermarket rods with a ARL or BEW crank and ALH head may be the best combination. I would welcome any suggestions

sam-

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf mk3 tdi AFN
If i were you i would just put rosten rods or any good aftermarket rods and eventually get the pistons machined to lower the CR.

But it look like many people push power on standard block, especially as the high powered one doesnt have much in the low rev, obviously a good tuning also help to keep everything in one piece.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
22-24 Lbs of boost will not get you there,, more like 35 lbs or more,, 250 HP on ALH needs a lot $$$,,,17/22 turbo I was able to max that sucker out at 220Hp,, if you want 250 you need to go with at least 17/56 VK or a bigger turbo, internals you would need rosten rods, big cam with a great lift, FMIC, 11 or 12mm pump, lift pump, 6 speed tranny, (stock tranny would be at the brink of failure) big clutch, huge injectors, bigger oil cooler. and a key ingredient bore the head, plus ram more air at air duct, then look for someone like RC for custom tune (best in the business period) to give you RC 6+ and you will be there ..

Last edited:

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
The OP didn't say 22-24lbs would give him his power goal; he was merely stating that he's heard that after 22-24lbs you need to uprate the rods.

My AFN 1.9 110bhp Passat is running 25lbs without issue, I think 28lbs would be fine with a good tune, and plenty of people on here have managed that reliably.

But yes, uprated rods aren't that expensive, so just drop some in and make it futureproof if the engine is already out the car. I have Rosten rods to fit in mine when the engine does next need some work, but for now its around 200chp so not yet needed

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
I'm more interested in what would be the best value if I replace the short block now, with a look to the future of increasing the HP. From what I've read, the later 1.9 blocks were stronger than the ALH blocks and most of the PD cranks had bigger rod journals. It seems an ASZ or ARL short block would be a good starting point as it has the better crank and block. Then add a set of aftermarket rods, bore to 81mm and use BHW pistons. I'm guessing this would be reliable and support 250 HP or more.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
I have raced my Beetle for over 4 years rosten rods and first over pistons from www.IDPARTS.com . Will last for ever on the last few rebuilds ( blow a head gasket )
I decked the block oringed it and we also used studs I just run the thicker gasket and deck the head to .

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
run more rpm and limit torque in software
size turbos so you aren't using half the fuel you inject just to move air

you'll find significantly more durability than most people with terrible tunes and tiny turbos

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Cheapest best way is to swap your short block with a bhw that's had a balance shaft delete. ALH parts bolt right to the BHW block.

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
He could swap ARL or ASZ crank, rods and pistons in his block also
He could but the BHW is far stronger and probably an even an easier swap. Plus if you keep an eye out you can find many 2.0TDI passats with busted trannies for under $1000 Then you can sell it after taking what you want and make back most of your money.