Automatic folding mirrors, installed, PICS/MOVIE

Kennedy

Veteran Member
After MUCH pestering of Lito for help, I quickly figured out I am idiot... I must learn to follow instructions. If you plan on doing this please do exactly what these instructions say.

Finally got my automatic folding mirrors installed. Watch them in action here (1MB Download):
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3050/10161FoldingMirror.MPG

Here they are:

This mod has been documented here before, and it is quite expensive, but cool factor is way up there. I HAD to have it.

First, a parts list. The parts listed are for late 2001 models and beyond (vehicles with dynamic Can-Bus). The parts list is the same for 2000 and before vehicles, but the parts are different.

Window motors,
drivers 1C0 959 801B,
passenger 1C0 959 802C

German electrically operated/heated folding mirrors
Drivers side: 1J1 857 507 (F or G) F - without memory, G- with memory
Passenger side 1J1 857 508 (F or G or AM), one is the stubby mirror...

Newer style mirror control knob with folding mirror control: 1J1 959 565 A

Wiring, easy...
you'll need two 000 979 131 A wires and two scotchlock connectors...
T12 is the mirror harness, T29 is the window motor/controller harness________________
Driver's side: T12/1 to T29/13, T12/3 to T29/9
Passenger's side: T12/1 to T29/16, T12/3 to T29/26

Take the scotchlocks and on the mirror harness scotchlock pin 2 and 8 together. Wiring done.
This is the same for all vehicles regardless of year.

Ways to cheapen the mod:
Since the folding mirrors are controlled by the window motors they have to be replaced. The Jetta motors don't have the proper electronics installed in them. The only difference between standard Jetta motors and Bora motors with folding mirrors is the electronics inside them. I studied the motors for a while and then decided they can't be much different than the Passat window motors. Passats in the US come with an optional "folding mirror with memory" optiion. So...., long story short, I located a pair of used Passat window motors from a 2002 vehicle with folding/memory mirrors from car-part.com... German Bora motors new are about $250 per, I paid $75 for the pair of Passat motors. Turns out the only difference between the Bora and Passat motors is the housing. 2 minutes of dissassembly and the "electronics" can be swapped into your existing Jetta window motor housings creating "frankenmotors" that are identical to Bora folding mirror motors. You just saved well over $400

Now locating the actual mirror housings is a different story, I suggest you hit up your favorite European parts dealer (Chad Kendrick, seems to be getting good prices recently)... or, you may be able to aquire a used set from Europarts Solution (Nathan), if you can catch him.
That's all there is to it.

Wiring in the memory fuction is an adventure I'll do later, as the memory function is controlled by the memory seat controller...

Bonus features... Lito and Eric have these, and they report that thier mirrors won't fold/unfold with the vehicle moving. Not sure what the difference is, maybe the frankenmotors, but my mirrors fold at will. I was going 80mph this morning, tried em out, sure enough they folded, and I got 10 free HP due to reduced wind resistance! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Once again, Lito, thanks for the help. I wired the T12/2-8 incorrectly and we spent about a month mailing spare parts back and forth to each other trying to diagnose the problem.

Enjoy...

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Looks good Captian Chris!

FYI.. My mirros also fold at speed, so I guess it's a 2002 and later thing. I also stumbled upon an interesting find when I installed the German wiring harness in the door. The European wiring harness is setup for a mirro switch with the heating function. The European mirror heating is triggered off of the Rear window defroster switch. That solution solves the problem of leaving your mirros on and burning them out. Now they are on the timer with the rear defroster.

Kennedy

Veteran Member
Hmmm... neat. So does the heating function trigger off the mirror switch anymore?
Do you have to replace both door harnesses to get this functionality?

TDI_ESEL

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Could we officialy re-title this thread to something along the lines of "pissing-away-money-for-absolutely-no-reason-mod"?

Just my $.02.

Kennedy

Veteran Member
ESEL, what's your hobby so I can make fun of you for it.
Do you make fun of every hot-rod, custom, rice rocket you see...?
I piss a lot of money on my VW, V-rod, HK pistols, Xterra, the list goes on. You only live once my friend.
Take your .02 cents and put it in a retirement fund...
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TheLongshot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon '03 Reflex Silver
I also wonder what the point of this mod is, other than the "cool" factor. Actually a serious question. Why do you want motorized folded mirrors for?

Jason

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
IF you ever have to park on a narrow city street the folding mirrors are very good, of course you could pull them in yourself. But those that live on streets like that know what i am talking about.

Kennedy

Veteran Member
Cool factor... Just another gadget to play with, like the "levelling motors" installed in the headligths. I didn't pay anywhere near that amount for these either. I've done a lot of wheeling and dealing trading various parts and such to aquite these parts.

The purpose they serve in europe is to prevent your mirrors from being whacked off from passing traffic due to much tighter roads.
I turn them in every time I park to prevent in roving thugs from smashing into them.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Chris,

It is useless to argue with those who either have 1) No class, 2) No money, or 3) Jealous of what others have because they have the inability to come up with things on their own.

I constantly get flamed for my vehicles (BMW & VW) because it take the time to revert them both back to their European Specifications with options not available here in the states. I find that a kind smile, a begrudging laugh, and an ice-pick to the back of the head (ala goodfella's) makes them go away...

Oh.. and I didn't know you were into H&K also! I have a USP Tactical and Mk23 SOCOM. I'm a 45ACP kind of guy.. My basic carry is a Sig 220, but my city carry is my trusty Glock 21... 13 down 1 up... /images/graemlins/grin.gif Ask Lito about "other" toys....

Kennedy

Veteran Member
Yepper.
6 USPs total (all of which have ahmm... preban mags with extensions 18 down and one in the hole!). The collection really is quite impressive, each pistol has 3 extra barrels. 1 6.02in USP match barrel, 1 5.56in threaded barrel, and 1 aftermarket with non-polygonal riflings for shooting lead. I can convert ALL 4 of my full size USPs into either a "Tactical" or "Match" clone. I have an aimpoint XD-90 mounted on the OEM USP sight mount with OEM compensator (collectors items). I have a Doctor Optics reflex on the .45 (my favorite), I can zing quarter sized groups at 25 yds without trying. Each USP has it's own tactical light/laser. It really is ridiculous. Also have a couple of Sigs, and Walther P22 cap gun... not a Glock fan yet... my next purchase will be a 1911 variant (Kimber probably).

I'm also a curious and relics ffl, so if you ever want an old Garand or M1, see me.

Lito told me you have some scary stuff, but he didn't know what it was. Probably an Armalite AR-15 with free float barrel (that's what I would have), and maybe a Car-15 with full tactical rigging for closer in. Probably a Sprinfield M-14 in there somewhere as well.

Enough dorking out on guns, any questions on the folding mirrors?

cosmic

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Silver Arrow
[ QUOTE ]
Michael Moore said:
Sorry for the dumb question, but what's a "USP"? (I'm Canadian - we don't know much about this topic).

[/ QUOTE ]

USP = Universal Self-Loading Pistol. Its a Semi-Automatic handgun from HK (Heckler & Koch) Comes in a variety of configurations, some of which have been mentioned above.

I don't own one, but have looked at them as they are considered to be extremely reliable. I really can't say too much though as I am a noob in this arena.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Chris,

I'm on a need to know basis only /images/graemlins/eek.gif Most of the stuff I don't ask and don't want to know either /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I too have the folding mirrors. So, if you'd like to tell me what I should be spending my money on, go right ahead if it makes you feel better about yourself /images/graemlins/smile.gif you won't offend me in anyway.

Our neighborhood has two way streets that are narrow and require one person to yield along the curb lane in order for two opposing cars to pass each other. Michael, Eric and Jerry have all been to my house and know what I'm talking about.

Next time you see someone with a duct-taped mirror, you can think of us and have a nice smile /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Keep in mind the mirror housing(new) is $200, the glass is $30.00, the cap is another $27.00 unpainted.

So, if you are unfortunate to have someone destroy your mirror I'll sell you a used one for a good price!

L

PS. Props to Chris for pulling an SVTWEB-style mod-mod on the Frankenmotors /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Great idea and even better execution /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
[ QUOTE ]
TDI_ESEL said:
Could we officialy re-title this thread to something along the lines of "pissing-away-money-for-absolutely-no-reason-mod"?

Just my $.02.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't this the upgrade section? /images/graemlins/mad.gif

BAMA TDI

Veteran Member
Looks good Kennedy!
Inre SVTWEB's Arsenal. He has probably found a way to install both Sidewinder & Sparrow missiles to his car. /images/graemlins/cool.gif I like most of the mods Eric has done to his car. They are way cool. The Sidewinder & Sparrow install is a compliment to Eric so no flames please. Flame Suit on anyway in case I get misinterpeted....

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
Kennedy, Eric:

Thanks for the answer about the USP. Is this some kind of new commonality standard for handguns - meaning, the parts from one brand fit into another? Like USB?

Kennedy

Veteran Member
No, not that I'm aware of...
The USP line is unique, in that it's very simple yet reliable. I think the word "universal" in USP mean that it's a handgun "for any occassion".
Thier pistols are marketed predominantly toward law enforcement/military customers...

CaTdi2002

Veteran Member
TDI
02 gls black 5 spd @9k miles since 10/02
I noticed the blue sticker on your windshield ..Sir. LOL
This was in my inventory

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/users/e23b05d1/bc/millpics/__hr_Picture2.jpeg.jpg?bfH8af_AagnZvBKQ

This is what I have now....

Glock 21,19, S&W 5906,model 21 for target,.44 mag OUCH! my ears... /images/graemlins/grin.gif, 18" rem tach shotgun, ruger .22 fun gun.
Colt preban bushmaster w/tricor and match barrel. Too name a few!
Semper Fi ..1st. Force Recon Co. IMEF 88-94 MOS 8654
with too many schools to list /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kennedy

Veteran Member
CaTDI... No chop bustin' dammit. O or E I'm just a regular guy like the rest of us TDI nerds, BTW your link doesn't work.
As for arsenal additions, Benelli M3 or maybe the new USMC 1014 is next on the list. I have no area weapons at this time.

Kommet, yep... It's official. I;m an idiot. Follow directions and everything works fine. Thanks for your input too BTW!

rob_swift

impressive arsenal guys
kennedy- sweet mod, i have wanted to do this since i saw my sister's passat mirror fold in...
a few weapons from my household:
benelli m1, steyr aug (Cal-legal version), sig 226, .40 cal baby eagle, .40 USP, h&k sr9, .45 randall 1911, pair of ar-15s (heavy barrels with 1 & 9 twist) and so on /images/graemlins/grin.gif

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver
Levelling motors on the Golf, no folding mirrors though. Love gadgety mods, though.
My H&K is a P-7. Very gadgety and cool.

Kennedy

Veteran Member
Rob, you're the guy with Blacked out HIDs on the Vortex right? That is a NICE wagon you got there.

Glen, P-7 is on the list... at 1100 a pop, it's a tough buy though.

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
whew! And I thought that I was safe with a big maglite in the car! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PlatinumGLS

Veteran Member
Those folding mirrors are pretty cool but I'd rather see a video of the VROD in the background /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kennedy

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
PlatinumGLS said:
Those folding mirrors are pretty cool but I'd rather see a video of the VROD in the background /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He He... While shooting my HK's at Iraqi soldiers... That would be bliss.

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
[ QUOTE ]
I also wonder what the point of this mod is, other than the "cool" factor. Actually a serious question. Why do you want motorized folded mirrors for?

[/ QUOTE ]
in europe many cars automatically do it when you shut the car off b/c they parallel park one VERY narrow streets, most american vehicles would be useless as they wouldnt fit in the street

also i think you should save your 2 cents and put it in the retirement fund as well, its just fun to mess with thats all