Meet Lisa, my '96 1.9 TDI

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I am loving this restoration.

And I would love to have one of those European steering wheels, they're killer.

As to the trunk release, I use mine often in the sedan since the key switch is worn out and I never got around to replacing it. I've rebuilt quite a few mixing parts but never did that to my own car.

My own sedan will be going up for sale soon due to the motor issue, which I'm on the fence about rebuilding before selling. I'm keeping the wagon since it's so handy but we don't need 4 cars between the two of us.

Keep up the great work!

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
What kind of steering wheels did you get? I thought the one I have was standard for an airbag B4?
Trunk release will be added next year, if I can find all the parts.
Update: She's back to the body shop for installing drive shafts and exhaust (I don't have a bridge)

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I may be able to find the parts necessary for the remote trunk release since my brother is parting a junk B4 and won't need it anymore.

We got this steering wheel:

And you got this one, which I like a lot better:

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
The European one indeed looks a lot better! Yours looks more like B3.
If he's parting out, I might be interested. I need these things:
* mid console button
* mid console wiring harness connected to the button
* trunk lock actuator + all hardware
* trunk uncut wiring harness (disconnects where the central locking pump is located.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yes, for cars with supplemental restraint system the nicest steering wheel is the last one shown. The former ones were early B4 and Mk3 too. The later Mk3 used similar wheel but the bag insert was different, more like a pillow.

Would love to have a steering wheel like that but shipping that stuff is kind of a no no.

Steve

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Nope. Been swamped at work, and my car is still at the body shop to have the drive axels and exhaust fitted.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
@Abacus, any chance you could make me a parts kit to fit trunk release?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
It might be possible. The local junkyard closed when the owner passed away but I know a few people who may still have junk B4's from which I can grab the necessary parts.

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Abacus: I'm looking for a B4 tan sliding sunshade - the part on the inside of the sunroof that can be moved by hand, if any of your sources have a an undamaged one. I sourced one form VWVortex sller with intact edges but with bubbles in the surface. Would like to locate one with no damage.

I took my B4 to well-established local shop for a new headliner. The new headliner is near perfect but the installer managed to mangle the sliding sunshade.

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
You’re looking for the sliding shade with factory fabric? The foam and fabric will be rotting with age, and it’ll likely never match what you just had installed.

-Todd

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
She's home! Drove her half a mile from the shop to my house. Now for final assembly to start (When I have time). Brakes/clutch need bleeding, engine runs ok but no power and glow light stayed on, then started blinking. Will need to investigate that!

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI

Bought the infamous "machine gun case". B4 specific top half door card is missing, but I can modify a normal one to fit.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
I don't know what fits inside :/ Gonna check if an MP5 or UZI fits.

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
sunroof slider panel

HI

I JUST redid the headliner, and sliding panel in my son's 97 B4 sedan. the slider was not hard, but you WILL have to drop the headliner to get it out.

I used the foam-backed material from JoAnne's Fabric (available on line for~14.99/yard the hard part was removing that plastic piece that is attached to let the air flow through. It's EXTREMELY brittle!

I used the 3M spray adhesive (8090?) to do it, and the foam backing seams to hide any surface imperfections.

as mentioned, it'll be hard to find a good original, and it won't match what you just had done.

good luck with it!

regards,
Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Congratulations, but is it truly ever finished?

Any reason you chose the police theme? Not sure if that’s a “thing”, over there. Not quite sure if that would be legal over here, lol.

-Todd

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
This is an awesome thread!! Actually think i have found it a few years back when it was fairly active, but couldn't remember where i had seen it. Curious, do you know if they ever sold those "machine gun cases" over here or is that strictly a European thing? And for anyone else too did they ever make those for the mk4?

Hope lisa lasts for another 25+ years!!

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Todd: It's 99% finished :p I think no car is indeed ever "done". I chose the Police theme as it's something unique and fun.
Glowbug: Thanks! I hope she lasts 50 :D The machine gun cases were only ever delivered with German Police models. They did not export. Although I found mine on Ebay Poland. Centre console and lightbar, I found in Germany. The police parts were available on B3 and B4 models.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Todd: It's 99% finished :p I think no car is indeed ever "done". I chose the Police theme as it's something unique and fun.
Glowbug: Thanks! I hope she lasts 50 :D The machine gun cases were only ever delivered with German Police models. They did not export. Although I found mine on Ebay Poland.
Considering how good of shape she was at the age you started the build i wouldn't be a bit surprised if 50 years came easy for your car😊.
Ok, i remember years ago seeing a thread where someone had such a door panel, and it seemed rare. Thats what made me remember and think it must have been this thread. Such a cool thing to have!!