2006 VW TDI won't start

andreasvw

TDI
2006 new beetle
Hello,

I have a 2006 VW Beetle TDI that won't start. I had the in-tank fuel pump replaced and the car is now getting fuel, but still won't start. The glow plugs were checked and they are good. Can anyone help?

Andreasvw

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
So was it getting fuel before? You can try to take the intake hose off on the intake and see if it starts.

andreasvw

TDI
2006 new beetle
Dear white dog,

Thanks for your reply. We took the intake hose off and sprayed carb cleaner in there and it did start, but died immediately after the spray, so we think there is a lack of fuel.

andreasvw

andreasvw

TDI
2006 new beetle
2006 VW Beetle Won't Start

No, there were no codes whatsoever.
Is it possible for the fuel pump on the engine block to go bad at the same time?
I really need to get this car running again.
Please help.
Thanks

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
I just recently had a freakish incident due to low battery. It was a do not start/or did start but did not run long, like a block or two.

Having once run a completely electric free, battery dead,dead,dead, diesel Mercedes Benz 300SD from New Orleans to Chicago - I was in the mindset that a running diesel needs no electricity.

It took awhile to get too as I thought I had pump problems etc...... Anyways, just for giggles check your battery.

My VW with low battery gave NO indication that the battery was low, all cabin electrics seemed fine and I did not notice the starter RPM change that must have been there. My issues in my TDI occurred with a 40 to 70% charge level measured.

Last edited:

Waldek Walrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Beetle TDI
Did the engine start after the lift pump was replaced? If the injectors have lost their prime it takes a LOT of cranking to get the engine going - after you make sure there is a supply of fuel.

A "new" battery may not be all that charged. The last battery I bought took about a day on the BatteryTender to come up to full charge. You will need close to full charge to crank long enough to get the injectors to reprime.

HTH

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Are you sure that you are getting fuel from the tank and all the way to the tandem pump on the back of the head? you can pull the hose off going to the tandem pump, put the end of the hose in a jug and cycle the key on. If yo uhave nothing there take the hose off before the fuel filter and try again. I think you can even take the hose off comeing FROM the head and into the filter and try it there to see if there is a problem with the tandem pump. DANG144 has a thread about testing the fuel system, but I don't recall what he found with this last bit.

mjjmrogers

TDI
2006 Beetle
2006 Beetle, won't start, changed fuel filter, still won't start. Checked, no fuel is being pumped. Dealer sold us a #49 relay, it is not in my car.. .So do we have to pay someone to scan the car and find out if it's the fuel pump in the tank?

andreasvw

TDI
2006 new beetle
'06 Beetle TDI Won't Start

Thank you for the suggestions.

The battery is fully charged.

The engine started briefly when we sprayed the carb cleaner on the intake, but it won't run.

I replaced the fuel pump inside the tank with a VDO (OEM) Fuel Pump Assembly with fuel gauge sender (Part # 1J0919050).

I have not replaced the tandem pump on the back of the head.

I am getting fuel from the tank, because I can hear the fuel engaging in the tank once the ignition is turned on. We also pulled off the hose to the tandem pump and fuel came out into a jug.

I am going to go over DANG144's thread tonight.

Thanks.