Head porting pictures

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
What kind of bur you using mate?
Can you do picture please?
Google "aluminum cut bur"

I really like the SH ("flame") shape for port work, but an SD ("ball") shape comes in handy for areas that you can't see straight on, using the back side of the curve by the shank.
For size, I usually get the #5 ones.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Not sure if it was posted in this thread but the only true way to make sure you do the best job possible is to do a water volume test. Block off the valve seats with the valve and the seal then add water with an acrylic top on it and measure the water. All ports must be the exact same. For a mild high end power like 250-300 hp I’m sure it’s not a deal breaker but it’s the right way to do it. I have never seen anyone do that to a TDI head though, at least not posted here. I did this when I ported my head. I found that they were all with in 1.5cc but #2 was 4cc more than all the others so I had to work them to all be the same within .5cc, that was good enough for me. After reading this thread I realize I could take MUCH MUCH MORE out of the ports. After all I just cleaned them up, a made them a tiny bit better than before but only took enough off to gasket match and blend that in.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Best way is to do it is CNC , cant beat that.
On the 2.0 CR cnc is no possible due tu the long intake runners i've been told when i inquired for my head.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
What bit or burr would you use to cut hard steel? Recommendation link, please.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
normal tooth carbide burr, throttle back for lower RPMs to keep the heat down,

or if you're trying to cut carbide, use a green (silicon carbide abrasive) mounted point (vitrified abrasive wheel)

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
This is as good a place as any to make an announcement. Last weekend, we took possession of a dedicated CNC machine which includes a custom-made jig and digitized porting For the most commonly ported cylinder heads: The ALH and AHU versions. The whole porting process now takes about 3-4 hours and is done with little intervention. We will have the machine set and running before the Year's end. 2018 will be the beginning of several CNC projects; porting is just the first.

Major benefits of CNC porting is repeatability and time reduction of the process. However, personally, I like the fact my hands don't go numb as I watch as a machine does what used to be done by hand. Porting is large bottleneck in the processing of a complete engine, which we have now, overcome.

We are rearranging the shop and closing what used to be a vehicle bay to concentrate more on the machining side of the business. We do have a backlog of engines that will soon be completed, when our porting machine is in place. It is very nice to have a 'push-button' and repeatable process, which will definitely improve the total time of engine building.

Many of the porting jobs pictured here are actually 'polishing' jobs. The size and shape of the port is critical and we certainly have an improved design The critical dimensions are at the openings of both the exhaust and intake, the inside turn of the exhaust and the opening of the intake to the swirl chamber.

We are also finding it wise to invest in tooling that will expose porosity. Even if the porting job is done perfectly, the cylinder head may contain bubbles in the casting which can cause failures.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
>>last weekend, we took possession of a dedicated cnc machine which includes a custom-made jig and digitized porting for the most commonly ported cylinder heads:
>>the alh and ahu versions.
>>2018
OH i cant wait!!! supper happy to hear this.
*Anticipates Head Job!

Last edited:

Gordon Peterson

Veteran Member
TDI
1959 Ford F100 TDI ALH conversion
I am sending you a head for porting, a valve job and a nice stage 2 cam. Will be great in my 59 Ford truck project. I am guessing there will be allot of heads run thru that machine.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Hi, Gordy...

Yes, I have a pile of them to do, so just what's backed up, we got plenty to do. First I have to figure out making a wye instead of a delta for the 3rd leg of the phase converter. Don't have the advantage of 3 phase wiring to the shop...

I'll send you a label.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Hi Gordy,

I'll send you a shipping label. No problem.

Once I figure out the wye instead of delta for the third leg of the rotary phase converter, I'm sure the bugs will go away.

I do have a backlog of heads, so it will be nice to clear them out.

Mongler, now that I was explained what you meant, I have to say, I enjoyed the humor..

"Shut up and take my money!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrXBEuG7I3A

snadam

Veteran Member
TDI
98' Jetta; 2001 Jetta; 2002 NB - All TDI
Once I figure out the wye instead of delta for the third leg of the rotary phase converter, I'm sure the bugs will go away.

"Shut up and take my money!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrXBEuG7I3A
Purely out of curiosity, how come you're messing with a rotary converter in this day? VFDs aren't that expensive anymore and if it gets you up and running more quickly the payback would be pretty quick given that you already have a backlog.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Purely out of curiosity, how come you're messing with a rotary converter in this day? VFDs aren't that expensive anymore and if it gets you up and running more quickly the payback would be pretty quick given that you already have a backlog.
cnc machine, he'd need a complete rewire

to frank, search on craigslist for an isolation transformer, they go cheap on craigslist and will smooth out the "wild leg" of a rotory phase converter as well as allowing connection as delta or wye on the secondary side.