how to install ZeroStart Engine Heater

casta_baga

TDI
golf 2001 - golf wagon 2010
after i figure the ZeroStart Tank/Circulation Engine Heater would be the best pick for my TDI Golf i have a question..

can anyone explain to me how the best way to install it or just redirect me to the proper thread?
best wishes and thanks
Edmonton

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
actually, i have the same question - i know how it installs with the manual tranny, easy, mount it to the battery holder (which i did on my 5spd jetta), but on the automatic (06 golf), the tranny is in the way. i thought i read on the automatic it mounts (with the tdiheater.com kit) behind the intercooler. is there any other place to put it? i haven't taken the wheel well out to see about a mounting space there... but it seems out of the way, but i can't figure out another space where it will sit low enough...

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
ahhh, thanks. that makes more sense :) i didn't think i saw space there, but i'll take another look....

red golf tdi

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
burpod said:
ahhh, thanks. that makes more sense :) i didn't think i saw space there, but i'll take another look....
You should come down, and I'll put one in for you no charge labor. I need to test-fit our new stainless steel bracket for the tiptronics anyway.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
terry - sent a pm. but i don't think it will work out as i'm installing a pd134 oil cooler and doing an oil change at the same time (while the coolant and oil are both drained), so it might be too much of a hassle and not the standard fit....thx tho :)

casta_baga

TDI
thanks ..
I just bought one today at canadian tire, very cheap in fact...
i looked thought the link u gave me..
looks easy...
i have to install it quick because the winter's coming
I'll post the results

wolfsburg

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
casta_baga said:
thanks ..
I just bought one today at canadian tire, very cheap in fact...
i looked thought the link u gave me..
looks easy...
i have to install it quick because the winter's coming
I'll post the results
You purchased one at Canadian tire...what is the part number???
Thanks

casta_baga

TDI
hello Wolfsburg...
I purchased in Edmonton a zerostart 1000watts with a model number 3305002A...

I haven't installed it yet unfortunately since I came to Edmonton I'm always busy, looks like but..
do you have anything to had on my reply?

thanks

Vulcan

TDI
2004 Silver Jetta TDI Sport
Is there a mounting change on 2004 Jettas? I wias looking at the instructs proved here and I don't have that bolt on the corner of the battery tray on my car (that I can see/feel).

TDI_YWG

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf GLS TDI, '03 Golf GL TDI, '01 T4 California Exclusive, '00 T4 Multivan "Atlantis"
You will have to drill a hole through the battery tray. Just make sure that you take in to account where the battery sits on the tray or you will go to put your battery back in, and d'oh!
Scott

red golf tdi

TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
Is there a mounting change on 2004 Jettas? I wias looking at the instructs proved here and I don't have that bolt on the corner of the battery tray on my car (that I can see/feel).
Yes, the mounting bolt was removed by Volkswagen mid-2001, and then for the PD engines in 2004 VW changed the layout under the hood which requires a specific kit for the PDs. We offer the specific kits for the 2004 to 2006...one for the manual, one for the automoatic.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
it circulates simply by convection. this is why you want to mount it in a low spot in the coolant system, so the warm coolant rises up easier. if you buy the zerostart heater itself it's really easy to make/find a mounting bracket yourself...

red golf tdi

TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
...it's really easy to make/find a mounting bracket yourself...
Just make sure it is isolated from the engine to prevent heater burn-out. Our kit comes ready to install with an isolation dampener.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
TDI_YWG said:
You will have to drill a hole through the battery tray. Just make sure that you take in to account where the battery sits on the tray or you will go to put your battery back in, and d'oh!
Scott
Whoa... no drilling required!!! There is a bolt that can be used, just in front of the battery tray. You may have to fiddle with the mounting brackets for everything to line up.

Here's mine ('04 PD Jetta):

casta_baga

TDI
chris2 said:
I think this is what you need.
http://pics2.tdiclub.com/gwillie/zerostart%20install.htm
Let me know how you make out as I am thinking of getting one of these units myself.
well this was very OK, your info is very easy to understand and to follow, I did that last night, it took me probably 1,5 hours, i run into a difficulties of finding the mounting bracket so i had to make one myself....

thank you so much for your help...

i notice that zerostar gets really warm.

can anyone explain how this zerostart actually work?

i looked on the manual and internet and i did not find info's on how long should we leave it connected, how long does it takes to warm up, if this zerostart is actually warming up when is connected or only during certain times....

Last edited:

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
The heater works by thermal convection. There is a heater element, similar to a traditional block heater plug, and it heats the coolant in the unit. As the coolant warms up, thermal convection properties generate a flow where the warm fluid is displaced by cooler fluid. There is no circulation pump, and this is why the Zerostart unit needs to be at the lowest point of the cooling system.

It's not a quick process, and depending on the ambient temperature, the car should be plugged in for at least 2, and up to 3, hours before you leave.

Wikipedia - Convection:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convection
When a portion of a fluid is heated, its density decreases by expansion. The surrounding, denser fluid flows downward by the combined effect of gravity and forced displacement by the expanding heated fluid.

casta_baga

TDI
fitzski said:
The heater works by thermal convection. There is a heater element, similar to a traditional block heater plug, and it heats the coolant in the unit. As the coolant warms up, thermal convection properties generate a flow where the warm fluid is displaced by cooler fluid. There is no circulation pump, and this is why the Zerostart unit needs to be at the lowest point of the cooling system.

It's not a quick process, and depending on the ambient temperature, the car should be plugged in for at least 2, and up to 3, hours before you leave.

Wikipedia - Convection:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convection
well, got it...
thank you

lglamb

Veteran Member
fitzski said:
[[]]
I think Terry has a chart or something on his
site regarding temperature and time suggestions.

Lowell

dkov

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon Shadow Blue
I'm confused. Is the ZeroStart the same as the FrostHeater? If not, where can I find more info on the ZeroStart? Is there a topic for a general comparison of various heaters? I'd be very interested in one that doesn't have to plug in but the last time I checked those were very expensive.

DrewD

Veteran Member
Frostheater is the brand name for a complete kit with custom made brackets, hoses, and instructions to make the install pretty much idiot proof. The frostheater folks have taken the time to figure out the best location to install the heater for each vehicle and yes, they use a zero start heater as part of their kit.

Last edited:

8v-of-fury

So it does not have a circulating pump in it, it is purely convection? Interesting.

It needs to be the lowest thing, but its hoses can both be on an upward angle away from it?