How long did your battery last?

shelbydog25

TDI
2012 DSG Passat SE
couple other items after you replace the battery, maybe it will help someone else later on:

You will get DTC trouble code and dash lights for: check engine, steering, ESC (deactivated), and TPMS

to correct and save a trip to dealer:

1. reset TPMS from glove box
2. check engine, use scan tool erase (code relates to "low voltage".. duh)
3. power assist steering will reset after you drive a short distance)
4. ESC will reset as above.

Last edited:

n1acguy

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Passat TDI DSG SE/Sunroof
Even though labeled maintenance free, flooded batteries usually last a lot longer if you top them up with distilled water once every six months or at least once a year.
I'll have to see if the OEM battery in the Passat has removable caps.
The way the engine compartments are cramped these days the battery is usually somewhere in the cooling air stream instead of being behind a dead air space like they used to be. That doesn't work too well in a hot climate.
Doesn't seem to be brand specific either. I had a Merc and a Honda that had battery life of a little over a year, and a Saturn that was somewhere in between.
I try to replace with gel or AGM where possible, but you can't always find the size you need when you need it.
The Honda had some oddball size, but the flooded battery held up once I topped it up as needed.
Maintenance free my **s

n1acguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Just looked at the Passat and these batteries are totally sealed.
Can't tell for sure, but it appears to be either a gel type or AGM.
It's in a location where it's likely to get plenty of heat even with the insulation around it.

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
I have not had very good luck with batteries on my 09 JSW. First died just 2 years into the life. Replaced under warranty. The next one lasted a bit over 3 years... On my 3rd one now. I am guessing the heat on the CR/DPF kills these batteries quicker on MKV and later cars.

Misterdenali

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
My 2011 Jetta TDI had the same issue. Sudden dead batter, 0 Amp output when I tested it at Advance AutoParts. New battery, but had an issue with a dead glowplug in cylinder 1 immediately afterwards. Wondering if trying to jump a completely dead battery did something there.

Back in action after 3 days at the dealer (trying to figure out the cylinder 1 error).

goldgary

TDI
2012 Passat 6M
When replaceing battery, if one uses a memory saver plugged into cig. lighter port, does that save error codes, in addition to saving radio stations, clock, ect. ?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I've never tried doing that. It wouldn't work on the Passat anyway because the power port is disabled when the ignition is off.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
^^^what he said, but from May of 2012. At one point in time, I found a measuring block in the ECU that showed total number of starts. A few version of VCDS later, I cannot find it anymore. Anyone recall seeing this MB? I was thinking this would be a good measure of battery life, since the starter motor is generally the largest amperage pull on the battery and the MB would be a good measure of durability.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Just looked at the Passat and these batteries are totally sealed.
Can't tell for sure, but it appears to be either a gel type or AGM.
It's in a location where it's likely to get plenty of heat even with the insulation around it.
Nope. The vinyl label has you fooled. Peel it off, and you'll find normal acid wet-cell caps underneath. Also note the white vent/overflow cap on the front side.

n1acguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope. The vinyl label has you fooled. Peel it off, and you'll find normal acid wet-cell caps underneath. Also note the white vent/overflow cap on the front side.
Thanks!
I caught it just before the plates were exposed. Topped it up with distilled water. Should be good for another year.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Just now replacing the original battery in my car, bought new in April of 2012. Currently at 128500 miles. Sounds like a record for what I've read on these cars. I wonder if doing the DPF delete early on helped prolong the life by getting rid of excessive heat.

The resting voltage is at about 12 and it's barely starting the car and failed to once now. Charging system is working fine at around 14 volts. I knew something was up a few weeks ago when my interior lights didn't come on when I got in. Theres a shutoff once the battery gets low enough. I'm going to go with an Optima yellow top.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Checking back into this thread. Even though it's three years since I did, the nature of the thread would seem to exempt it from "zombie" status. The OEM battery in our Passat, bought new in July '13, is still working fine. Based on what I've read here, I may dig into it and try to expose the cell caps and top the thing up with distilled H2O.......

buzzie0013

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Replaced our in our '13 maybe 6 months ago. Our car had about 72k on the clock. Car started acting funny, random dash lights coming on, not starting (obviously) and the dash clock acting haywire. new battery, everything loke normal again.

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
A gasser, but still on the original battery here four and a half years in.

Yours
Vern

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Had a chance today to check the electrolyte level in the Passat's battery. The labels stripped right off, but the only cell that was a bit down (took maybe 1-2 ounces) was the one nearest the negative terminal, the rearmost one. So that looks pretty good for a battery that's going on 4 years old.

Last edited:

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
103200 miles over 4 1/2 years on mine with no problems, even through this past cold and long winter. Only has to last me 7 more days and then it's VW's problem :D

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Purchased my TDI 11/1/13
Buyback was 2/17/17

Original battery, but......I used a Frost Heater at home and sometimes at work for winter time. Those 2 wicked cold winters were tough. If I left my car at work for 3,4 or longer days and had to start it without being plugged in, it struggled if below 30 degrees. Day to day, not so much. Worried at times, I carried this just in case. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OV7HKA6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would have changed it out this Summer had I kept it. Would have been about 4yrs at that point. Just to be safe.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
3.5 years so far, no problems

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Original battery in the Passat. Even drew it flat twice after leaving key in the ignition after shut down and the bluetooth kept connected to the phone over night and left the fog lights on over night. Battery tender had a workout bringing the battery back the second time, took almost 2 days to get it above 13V.

May look into swapping the jettas battery with the passat when the jetta goes back, as its only a year and half old.

*zepman

TDI
Former 2012 Passat TDI SEL Current: 2014 e250 Bluetec
3 years and 60k - died and the electrical system freaked out... thankfully AAA came to replace

tdiDreaming

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
2013 Passat purchased new in April of that year.

-Had to replace the first battery January 2016 (don't remember the mileage at that time, but I'm averaging about 25k miles/year)

-Just had to replace it AGAIN (under 2 year warranty, thank goodness) at around 118k miles

Both times, once the car did start and was driven around for a while it would charge up and would start back up unassisted even with leaving the car parked all/most the rest of the day. However, after a night in the cold (even in the garage) it wouldn't have enough cranking power to get the motor going the next day.

:mad:

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Proactively changed mine on the passat's 4 year build date birthday (it had sat much of the previous 18 months) - 10/22/17, delivery date is in dec 13. The bug's is original - build date 6/23/13(sold 2/4/14) I had to have a car i could guarantee would start due to medical issues.