A4 ALH Alternator Pulley Remove and Reinstall?

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
This weekend, I need to replace my serpentine belt and tensioner ( See threads below), alternator pulley and idler roller.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=318786

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=287259

I understand the alternator pulley can be replaced while still on the car. I did buy the shortened tools, that would allow me to do the work with it on the car. All the posts I have seen so far are showing the removal of the alternator. Can someone point me in the right direction if there is a how to of the procedure with it on the car? It might be pretty straight forward once I get in there and start playing around in there, but wanted to have some back up with the proper steps just in case.

Thanks,

Chris

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
I just looked at the How to where the alternator is out of the car and, sort of, adapted it in my mind for the alternator still on the car. I envy anyone that does this on a Golf or a Jetta. It is really tight on a NewBeetle.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Funny Story: I bought the Metalnerd Alternator Pulley removal tool from a vendor to remain nameless, and got the actual pulley instead. LOL Simple mistake and was resolved quickly, but my work is delayed until next weekend since I won't get the tool until Tuesday. My other parts from another vendor haven't won't come untill Tuesday either.

TdiScottie

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
I've just completed an alternator pulley replacement on my 2003 jetta tdi. My serpentine belt tensioner was bouncing around a lot at idle and making a bunch of racket. The sound was loud enough to compete with the diesel clatter if the weather was cold.

First, I attempted to remove the pulley using the metalnerd tool with the alternator in the car. But, that was not working out so well for me. I couldn't generate enough leverage to crack it loose.
I had to remove the alternator from the car. It's a bit of a bear to get out. I had to remove a bunch of stuff just to get to it. I performed the following:

- Remove the intercooler exit pipe
- I removed the headlamp to give me more space
- Remove the fan and let it hang out of the way
- Remove the serpentine belt
- Remove the serpentine belt tensioner
- Remove the idler pulley
- Drop the AC compressor, unhook the electrical connector and let it hang or tie it out of the way
- Dismount the power steering pump and it will flex out of the way some for more space up top

After all that, you can remove the two bolts that mount the alternator. But, it really doesn't want to come out of the mount. You have to pry it out. It was extremely stubborn coming out of the mount. Once it's loose, you can maneuver it out from below. I had to stretch the power steering lines to get it around them.

The pulley was on there really tight. I sprayed some PB Blaster into the pulley and let it sit for a while. In the absence of a vice, here's how I removed the pulley. I placed the alternator on the floor, letting it sit on it's mounts. I had a wrench on the small end of the metalnerd tool, wedged against the floor. This held the pulley still so I can apply leverage on the other wrench. I was able to apply pretty much my entire body weight on the wrench and still not break it loose. So finally, I decided to stand with one foot on the alternator, and stomp really hard onto the 17mm wrench. This worked. The sudden hit of a whole bunch of force cracked the pulley loose.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend such an approach, but it worked this time. Install your new pulley.

After that, you get to have fun trying to muscle the alternator back into it's mounting spot. Then, reassembling everything should go smoothly.

I started the car and was relieved to see the tensioner as still as can be. No bouncing, and the racket was gone. I can hear only diesel clatter now.

Last edited:

Jettascuba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
This is how I did it the first time.

Second time:

Unbolted the alternator, turned it on its side, dropped it slightly, wriggled it out toward the top. 10minutes, first time took me 2 hours. Only thing I removed was the engine cover and serpentine belt. I loosened the alternator gently from its mount with a crowbar, no force, just a gentle pull. I could not get the pulley loose inside the car either.

Removing the pulley, I wholeheartedly recommends the 'footstomp' method ;-), in conjunction with a nice breaker bar.

BTW, here is how I pull the bushings looser for easier installation

Some spanners I use to untension the serpentine belt dampener

Last edited: