Code p1649/18057 ABS help on 01 Jetta

TDI_Nate_

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI Black Uni, Non-sunroof, 6-speed
Hi all, so for at least two and a half three months now I have been driving around in my 01 ALH Jetta with the ABS light on and Brake light flashing (beeps three times upon start up then just blinks.) I pulled a code on a Snap On Solus Edge of P1649 or 18057, Powertrain Data Bus Missing Message from ABS ECU-Intermittent. I have not scanned it with VAG-COM as I don't have it and I don't know anybody close enough to me to just do it quickly that does have it. When it started it was very hit or miss, in fact it would turn the light off and on while driving and the brake light would beep on and off. Not until about a month ago has it been solid on from immediate start up. Even now though when it rains it beeps consistently, the lights don't go off, but it's almost as if it had connection quick and lost it before the lights went out. So it was very intermittent but not anymore, except when it rains apparently. I've read that the ABS modules on these cars are fragile and fail all the time if you have the right(or wrong) model module in there. I guess they short themselves or something due to constant vibration and jarring (which mine takes more than normal being on coils). But I have already called Module Masters, per recommendation on other threads here and on vwvortex on the same issue, about rebuilding it and they said that the module in my car they don't have a good record with, the mk60 or something like that, and that my $300 some dollars can't guarantee a fix. The lady on the phone was very skeptical actually that they could fix mine. So the question is what do I do? Winter is slowly approaching and I want ABS so I need to fix it. I know regardless I'm going to need to find someone with VAG-COM to bleed the ABS pump when I do fix it which I can do, but what might be the best thing to do? I've seen people on other threads saying check fuses and grounds and the physical connection to the module. Now I haven't done these yet other than the fuses as I haven't had time but I want more input hopefully(also it's a serious pain to access that thing). Like if I go to a junkyard and pull a whole ABS pump and module as long as it's the same would that work? And would I need to get one from a non-traction control car seeming as my Jetta doesn't have it? Also I should mention the brakes feel fine, fronts are GTI swapped and rears are GLI vented swapped with all associated hardware. If anything they might be a little more grabby but I think that's because there are bigger brakes on it.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Hopefully you can rule out the simple stuff before going after the big enchilada. Tone ring, sensors, wiring. The code you pulled just indicates an error in the system. A more complete code scan may point you to a particular component. Have to ask, has this car had regular brake fluid changes?

Just read a thread where a member had a wheel bearing cause ABS light at slow speeds, but I don't believe that's you.

TDI_Nate_

TDI
It has, but not recently. The last time any new fluid was put in it was 6 or 7 months ago when I put new pads on. Before that its been a while. No I don't think that's me, it never goes out anymore. So if I can i should try and get it scanned by VAG-COM and that might better tell me exactly whats wrong? If so I can try to set up a time with someone semi-local to me.

TDI_Nate_

TDI
The other thing I think worth mentioning is that when I did try to connect to the ABS Module with the Snap On scanner, it will not connect. But maybe that was implied, just thought I should mention that. Seeming as that won't connect I'm thinking VAG-COM won't either.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I don't see any reason the Snap On scanner wouldn't connect to it.
Check: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18057/P1649/005705

It mentions J104 but I don't have any info on it. Maybe others.

I do know any hard problem s/a an open wheel sensor will trip the light when you turn the key on. I was still able to connect on mine when a wheel sensor went bad.

Deen

TDI
2005 VW Passat Wagon, 2018 Ford F-250 Platinum 6.7L
Having the same issue as TDI_Nate

Hi all, so for at least two and a half three months now I have been driving around in my 01 ALH Jetta with the ABS light on and Brake light flashing (beeps three times upon start up then just blinks.) I pulled a code on a Snap On Solus Edge of P1649 or 18057, Powertrain Data Bus Missing Message from ABS ECU-Intermittent. I have not scanned it with VAG-COM as I don't have it and I don't know anybody close enough to me to just do it quickly that does have it. When it started it was very hit or miss, in fact it would turn the light off and on while driving and the brake light would beep on and off. Not until about a month ago has it been solid on from immediate start up. Even now though when it rains it beeps consistently, the lights don't go off, but it's almost as if it had connection quick and lost it before the lights went out. So it was very intermittent but not anymore, except when it rains apparently. I've read that the ABS modules on these cars are fragile and fail all the time if you have the right(or wrong) model module in there. I guess they short themselves or something due to constant vibration and jarring (which mine takes more than normal being on coils). But I have already called Module Masters, per recommendation on other threads here and on vwvortex on the same issue, about rebuilding it and they said that the module in my car they don't have a good record with, the mk60 or something like that, and that my $300 some dollars can't guarantee a fix. The lady on the phone was very skeptical actually that they could fix mine. So the question is what do I do? Winter is slowly approaching and I want ABS so I need to fix it. I know regardless I'm going to need to find someone with VAG-COM to bleed the ABS pump when I do fix it which I can do, but what might be the best thing to do? I've seen people on other threads saying check fuses and grounds and the physical connection to the module. Now I haven't done these yet other than the fuses as I haven't had time but I want more input hopefully(also it's a serious pain to access that thing). Like if I go to a junkyard and pull a whole ABS pump and module as long as it's the same would that work? And would I need to get one from a non-traction control car seeming as my Jetta doesn't have it? Also I should mention the brakes feel fine, fronts are GTI swapped and rears are GLI vented swapped with all associated hardware. If anything they might be a little more grabby but I think that's because there are bigger brakes on it.
So I was doing some research on the same issue and I came across this website. Seems like it's a pretty common issue on these cars:

http://www.bba-reman.com/us/content.aspx?content=bosch_5.3_abs_removal

If you happen to get to it before I do please post here what it cost and how long it took and that it fixed the issue.

Thanks.

TDI_Nate_

TDI
The scanner wouldn't connect because apparently the car can not connect to the ABS module hence there is no link. It acts like it's not even there, so it can't connect. That is why I doubt VAG-COM can connect because the car acts like the ABS module isn't even there. I mean I can see VAG-COM giving me a better code but connecting I doubt. As for that rebuild site, I trolled around their site for a while but they don't offer ATE MK60 repair, which is the module in my car. And like I said Modulemaster does not guarantee they can fix it and it's $250. So I think I am going to try and get one out of a junk car and find someone with VAG-COM to bleed the pump. My biggest question now is do I need to get a module out of a non-traction control car?, or if it comes from a car with ESP/ASR will it just be turned off. I know you can add it but I don't want it, I just want to swap in a new module.

Deen

TDI
2005 VW Passat Wagon, 2018 Ford F-250 Platinum 6.7L
I believe a mere swap is not going to work. It will need to be re-programmed for your car. In all honestly it seems you may end up paying the same amount of money after the re-program.
Please do let me know how it turns out for you as I am in the same boat as you.

TDI_Nate_

TDI
I thought I read that you would need to code it but I think if I get a module out of a car without ASR/ESP it should be direct, as long as the part numbers are the same. Another issue I am having is that apparently the ATE MK20 was the module witout ASR/ESP and the ATE MK60 like what is on my car is the module with traction control. But I for sure don't have tc, having ridden in a mk4 GLI with ESP and a B6 A4 with ESP and having owned a 99.5 VR6 GTI without it I know mine doesn't have it. It doesn't act like the traction cars, it acts more like my non-tc GTI. Plus I can spin the wheels on wet into 3rd at like half boost and nothing stops it, so I for sure don't have it. But yet I have a MK60 module..... regardless I'll try swapping one. Hopefully I can find another non-tc car with a MK60 module otherwise I might have to attempt a rebuild because I'm sure putting a MK20 will never work.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Central PA is a big area I'm in central PA, but way up north and I have VCDS.

TDI_Nate_

TDI
Tdijarhead, where at? I'm like 10 minutes from Bucknell University and like 35 minutes from Williamsport.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
One hour and 10 min north of Williamsport right on the NY/PA border just off 15/99.

TDI_Nate_

TDI
Okay, I'll see about getting a replacement and maybe we can meet up at some point if you'd be willing.

In the mean time I got the part number off my ABS pump, 1J0 614 117 E, it is for sure an ATE MK60 pump and it for sure does not have Traction Control of any kind. I'm going to begin searching for a replacement.

TDI_Nate_

TDI
Ok so I finally got around to unplugging and plugging back in the ABS module. Left it unplugged with the battery out for a day while doing some other maintenance. Upon first start up the light and warning beeps were still there. However drive a ways down the road and the ABS and BRAKE light are coming on and off repeatedly, with the warning beeps, but eventually it just goes off!....until I hit a big bump and now it's back permanent like before.... So I think it's a loose connection somewhere. I'm going to check and clean all the grounds under the battery box, and inspect the wiring loom that goes to the ABS module for cracks. If I come up with nothing and it doesn't help then I would assume something is loose inside the module. My next step at that point I think is going to be trying a new(used) pump with my part number.

TDI_Nate_

TDI
So!! I cleaned all the grounds under the battery box yesterday and by god it fixed it! It was just a dirty ground! I'm pumped cause I really didn't want to go through trying to make a new pump or module work, so thank god for wire brushes! Thanks everyone for the help.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
So!! I cleaned all the grounds under the battery box yesterday and by god it fixed it! It was just a dirty ground!
Glad you fixed it & posted the resolution for others down the road.

When that ground is bad everything that grounds to the body is bad.
I think I may have mentioned it once or twice. :)