Air bag code 00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95)

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Has anyone dealt with this code?

Address 15: Airbags Labels: 6Q0-909-605-VW5.lbl
Part No: 1C0 909 605 C
Component: 09 AIRBAG VW61 04 0003
Coding: 12345
Shop #: WSC 05311
VCID: 244C38CD9EA9
1 Fault Found:
00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95)
32-10 - Resistance too High - Intermittent

Where on the car is this located? seat belt latch?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
think its drivers side seat airbag..yellow connector under seat

JETaah

TDI
On the wiring schematic in Bentley it shows N95 - driver's side airbag igniter to be hooked in series between the "Airbag spiral return spring/Return spring with slip ring"
Somehow, I equated spiral return spring with the seat belt.
You say steering wheel? Anyone else agree?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Steering wheel... possibly a connection at the so-called "clock-spring"... could also be a problem with the grounding at the airbag controller...

Yuri

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Yes, it could be the clock spring. It could be other items as well, including the ignighter. In dealing with a friend's 1.8 T Golf on this, I discovered that the clock spring assembly is completely different for cars with ESP and on ones with out. On cars with, the steering angle sensor is incorporated into the clock spring assembly. There is a very detailed procedure to index this correctly on ESP VWs that is explained in the Bentley manual.

Disconnect the battery before messing with the air bag system and do not use a VOM (volt-ohm meter) with the air bag connected.

--Nate

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
As they said it is the steering wheel mounte airbag. They come off/install just like on the A4 platform cars with the use of a small blade screwdriver to press the locking springs.

JETaah

TDI
Stay tuned...I have yet to dig into this. BTW, thanks for the info.

Last edited:

jumpin_joe

TDI
MK4 Golf
I also had the same code come up. I replaced the clock spring with the Dorman 525-701, it is identical to the original (even has the VW and Audio symbols) but it came with this orange plug secure clip that does not fit over the yellow plug from the steering column to the back of the clock spring.

the yellow plug will clip in but there is still room to push it in further but it won't stay there by itself. There is no way to tiewrap it on, maybe tape but i would think that it could just slide back over time, I dont even know if that's causing a problem. Anyone else experience this?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Sounds like its definitely wrong part. With something as critical as an airbag system it might not be the wisest choice to chintz on an incorrect part, when the correct part is readily available

jumpin_joe

TDI
MK4 Golf
That's the right part and its the same part of a few different VW cars actually. The orange secure clip is useless on the Golf model though. I secured it with tape and tested it again, changing the code from static to sporradic. It looked OEM but there's a really small difference in the pins shape (need magnifine glass). Yeah, tried an original spring clock out of a wrecker - no problems.

Don't buy Dorman, spend the extra hundred dollars to go to the VW dealer... if your sure that's the part thats causing the problem as they are not returnable once installed. I talked to a couple of independent VW certified mechanics who said the clock spring rarely ever goes.

Freebore

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I've replaced my clockspring twice with OEM parts (first time I know it was faulty as horn stopped working along with the airbag light showing up), but second time it was a waste of time. I did the underseat wiring update that removes the connector and soldered wires direct so I know they are okay - this worked well for over a year. I still get codes from Vag Com saying drivers side wiring faults or something like that, so I have to believe the fault is in the harness somewhere - maybe under the seat or at a grounding location. Another peculiar issue is Vagcom indicates a problem with communicating with the steering. I have no problem with steering, but a wiring issue common to the steering and airbag might be at the root of all this....mines a A5 - BRM.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I've had this code a couple times on my MKIV Golf. When I swapped to a R32 3 spoke from the 4 spoke stock wheel I changed the weight (damper) that is behind the airbag as the one that came with the 3 spoke was different. Well, this one didn't have a good spot for grounding that black cable like the 4 spoke did. So I crimped on an eyelet and put it grounded it on top of the weight. Fast forward 2 years, get the code. Open it up, wire is still there but I decided to drop a little solder in the crimp connection I added for the ground. That cleared it for a couple weeks and it came back. I just moved the ground from on top of the weight to underneath it. That way it is directly touching the metal base of the steering wheel.
With all these ground moves, I've checked resistance and it's always less than 1 ohm from the yellow connector that plugs into the clockspring to actual ground. This is a very finnicky system. From what I've read, it's looking for 2.2 ohms or less on all it's airbags. Another interesting thing I've found is the airbag connector on the harness side has a small coil inside it between the two leads, I'm not sure why... The airbag itself has no resistance which would make sense to me. Anyway, I just successfully cleared my light with the movement of the ground and we'll see how long it stays. If it comes back, I'm going to be looking at the airbag controller under the dash. I've read about them getting cold solder joints on the motherboard inside the case that can wreak havoc with codes.

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
The airbag itself has no resistance which would make sense to me.
I'm not sure I'd want to be checking the resistance of an explosive charge... In addition, the connectors to these devices have a shorting mechanism that comes into play whenever it's unplugged...

Yuri

BlackSunshine

TDI
Tdi 1.9L ALH
I'm not sure I'd want to be checking the resistance of an explosive charge... In addition, the connectors to these devices have a shorting mechanism that comes into play whenever it's unplugged...
Nothing to worry about - go back to drinking tea with Grandma if you feel uncomfortable checking it out. ;)

Last edited:

Freebore

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I battled the airbag light problem for over 2 years with an 06 Jetta TDI. First it really was the clockspring, but I fixed the underseat connector at the same time to make sure of no marginal connections in the wire. Just over a year later the same code came up and thinking it was another clockspring but that did not correct it. I searched all over for answers but was not going to a dealer. Because my day job always gets involved with electro-hydraulics and heavy machinery (diesel fuel systems), I started exploring the cars wiring and grounding system.

In the end, I found some engine compartment grounds under the air filter box and battery which needed to be cleaned up. I went around the car and pulled every ground wire I could find and polished them up and put them back together with anti-seize, cleared the codes and it worked very well after that. The wiring on most new cars, trucks, machines, etc., all depend on rock solid wiring and unfortunately a lot of wiring needs to be improved.

mazzystr

TDI
2004 Golf GLS Tdi (BEW)
Old thread. I'm also struggling with these codes. Do you remember the other locations of the grounds that you cleaned up by any chance?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
His last activity was over a year ago. In addition to under the battery tray, there is the main ground at the top of the bell housing, and additional grounds under the dashboard and even a couple on the steering column I think.

What is the actual code? The same as the PO or another airbag code? The seat belt connectors also go bad and pop codes. I had that happen when I swerved to avoid a gigantic raccoon earlier this year.

gassprint1

TDI
2006 jetta

i'm dealing with the same issue now for over a year. i could clear the codes and was good for a long time. codes won't clear now which means i clear an they immediately come back. going to check the plug under the seat tomorrow..

Labels: 1K0-909-605.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 1K0 909 605 AB HW: 1K0 909 605 AB
Component and/or Version: 69 AIRBAG VW8R 034 8000
Software Coding: 0013881
Work Shop Code: WSC 00066 000 00000
Additional Info: 1K0959339F BF-Gewichtsens. 007 0005
Additional Info: Geraet 00000
VCID: 6C82CC714A8BE287BDC-8038
1 Fault Found:

001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent - MIL ON