Bought a 'new' 2015 Tdi seems very 'cheap'

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
I had an 09 jetta sel Tdi and a 2012 jetta wagon Tdi sel. Bought a new jetta tdi 2015 and I am pretty disappointed. The interior is cloth, door panels are plastic, steering wheel plastic and on and on.
But the worst feature is road and cabin noise, a choppy ride, and I feel every bump and imperfection from driving over less than very smooth road surfaces.
Question is: are all of the jetta s's like this? I like the idea of a new Tdi that could last for many years and miles and that is the good news. The bad news is this car will last many years and miles!
I've ridden in Passat tdi's that didn't seem to be this loud and bumpy and my previous tdi's weren't this noisey. Are the Jetta SEL's that much quieter? The only available SEL's in my area are used ones and they want more for one with 40-70 K miles than I paid for my new one.
I'd appreciate some advice. I really don't want to put 150k miles on this seemingly cheap made car. Even the doors sound loud and cheap when you slam them. Do they leave out sound insulation on these Jetta S'? thanks in advance.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The Jetta S is built to a price, and the interior looks it. However, I've driven a few of these and found the ride and handling to be pretty good. I'd check tire pressures. It may also break in after a few miles.

I enjoyed driving my daughter's 2013 2.slow Jetta. However, it was also very inexpensive to buy, which made it easy to overlook the interior materials.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Tire pressure

The Jetta S is built to a price, and the interior looks it. However, I've driven a few of these and found the ride and handling to be pretty good. I'd check tire pressures. It may also break in after a few miles.

I enjoyed driving my daughter's 2013 2.slow Jetta. However, it was also very inexpensive to buy, which made it easy to overlook the interior materials.
I had a friend check tire pressure and it is spot on. Tires are Bridgestone Ecopias.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Of course it's not going to be a luxury car-it's the most basic car that VW has here in the U.S. . My '16 Jetta S seemed fine,but that was the 1.4 TSI. If you wanted a little fancier and better handing,you could have opted for a Golf or GSW.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I bought a NEW 2017 Jetta S for well under $15 K (1.4 TSI, 6 speed auto). Not a bad car and it's getting around 40 MPG (highway) and 29 MPG (around town) with the A/C on all the time. It's cheap, with many plastic parts, but it's good value for the price.

I needed a car that will be the all around go to car for grocery runs, doctor visits, etc, etc. There is so much traffic where we live that this car will be perfect for the never ending crawl when out and about. My wife loves it and that's all that counts.

When we get tired of it or get too old to drive it, then we will give it to one of the grandkids.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I had a friend check tire pressure and it is spot on. Tires are Bridgestone Ecopias.
What's "spot on"? 32 PSI? 45 PSI? I'd run 34F/32R and see how that feels. If it's OK bump them up a couple pounds to improve steering response and FE.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The NCS Jetta is intended to be a price point leader car. And it shows. If you buy the S version, you get a fantastic value. If you buy the TDI version, you get a cheap car with a very expensive engine.

That said, I do not think the NCS Jetta (especially the later ones with IRS and disk brakes all around) are a "bad" car. But unlike the Sportwagons and the 2011-and older Jetta sedans, they are no longer a Golf with a trunk. Some of the cheapening is pretty obvious, some is more hidden.

This really should come as no surprise, as the base price is on average about $5k less than it used to be. They weigh less, too.

FWIW, I have a customer that has a 2011 (first year) NCS Jetta, and even with over 300k miles being used as a taxi cab, it is still tight and solid. All of them seem to age well. So I would not knock the hard plastics and such, as those often wear better overall. And fewer parts means fewer things to break.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The 09 sedan and the 12 Jetta wagon are pretty much the same car, as mentioned a '15 jetta sedan is a whole new platform.

If you had opted for a GSW, you'd have actually gone up in quality over the '12 wagon, but then again it'd be quite a few K over what you paid for the sedan.

BTW, who slams doors?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The 09 sedan and the 12 Jetta wagon are pretty much the same car, as mentioned a '15 jetta sedan is a whole new platform.
'09 - 15 Jetta Sedans are all based on VW's PQ35 platform, even though the MKVI Sedan doesn't share any body panels with the '09-10 MKV Sedan. Other than the basic platform, about all they share is the TDI drivetrain. Even base engines are different: the '09-10 came with a 2.5L 5 cylinder engine, the '11-15 came with a 2.0L 4 cylinder.

And oilhammer is right, the MKVI with a 2.slow and a manual transmission is a simple car, and fun to drive. I especially like that it retained hydraulic steering, which has better feel than electric. And with 15" wheels the ride and handling feels similar to the MKIV cars. They 2.slow gets pretty good FE, too. A co-worker had one for a couple years and pretty consistently got 32-34 MPG without trying.

oilhammer

TDI
The 1.4L turbo that replaced the 2.slo is better on fuel economy though (and has better power). But obviously it lacks the 2.slo's best attribute: simplicity.

Time will tell how the 1.4L holds up, but it is tough to beat the old engine. One cam, eight valves, no variable anything, no turbocharger, simple timing belt.

The only thing I do NOT like about the NCS' version of that engine is the smaller oil capacity. 3.7 liters. No idea why they nerfed the oil pan size, but they did. Does not seem to bother them any though.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Platforms

If you had opted for a GSW, you'd have actually gone up in quality over the '12 wagon, but then again it'd be quite a few K over what you paid for the sedan.

BTW, who slams doors?
I am confused. I hate to admit I don't know about the different platforms. So, is my rough riding, loud, noisey car the same as a 2015 Jetta SEL? Also, what Kind of platform is the Passat on? I drove several of them in TDI badges. Thanks.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Spot on

What's "spot on"? 32 PSI? 45 PSI? I'd run 34F/32R and see how that feels. If it's OK bump them up a couple pounds to improve steering response and FE.
I think all four tires were 32 or 34 psi. Friend said that was recommended inflation. Remember, I down sized and don't even have a small compressor or any shop equipment. That's what I get for getting old and having health issues.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
The "S" version of any VW mldel line is the low end, stripped, cheaped out, loss leader of that model. While the basic car is the same moving up to the SE and SEL, the features, materials, sound insulation, etc. improve a lot. The S is to offer a price to get you on the lot. The SE and SEL is what I think most actually buy . . . . You went cheap, you got cheap . . . simple cause and effect, nothing more . . .

oilhammer

TDI
Just to clarify, the trim level has nothing to do with sound insulation and materials. A "cheap" car is a cheap car, no matter the trim level. A white entry level $23k F150 has the exact same paint as a tarted up white $56k F150. It has the same door latches, window weatherstrips, hood hinges, frame coating, steering column U-joints, bumper supports, wheel bearings, etc. The NCS Jetta is no different. An S model has all the same bits under the skin as the most expensive SEL model. The main difference is the engine, which in the case of the NCS Jetta makes the S model a terrific value.

I think this is where so many consumers get duped. They assume that an expensive trim in a cheaper car makes it "just as good" as an entry level trim in a more expensive car, if the MSRP ends up being similar. That is absolutely NOT the case. There is no way a dolled up $28k diesel Cruze is twice the car as a $14k stripper Cruze. Aside from the diesel engine option, a base to mid level model Malibu is a nicer car.

So you can better gauge a caliber of a car if you at least look at the base price of that model, even if you have no desire or intention of purchasing something like that. It would seem most folks who feel slighted by the perceived quality of the NCS Jetta are the ones that bucked up for the TDI. They are usually the ones saying things like "if it were not for the engine I would have not bought this car", whereas the people that bought the S model feel like they stole the thing, as they paid about what Scion was asking for an IQ, and quite literally got TWICE the car instead.

I think that VoA did a reasonably good job in accessing the fact that Americans prefer larger, cheaper sedans when it comes to cars. I don't, but I am FAR from the average American consumer. Toyota figured this out. The Corolla and Camry we get, which we ONLY get in sedan form, are very much Americanized cars. Same for the Honda Accord (although there is a coupe version available, the wagons have long disappeared here). Same for the Civic.

The sales numbers do not lie, the NCS Jetta has enjoyed pretty good success here, Dieselgate nonsense aside. And its even more Americanized big brother, the NMS Passat, has had equal success, and has bested (by FAR) its predecessor's numbers. And the B6 Passat had the advantage of having both a wagon and AWD options (but no diesel for us).

So on one hand, Volkswagen was trying to go after sales to people who were perhaps not traditional buyers of their brand, but on the other hand may have alienated others who were traditional buyers, and are now are forced to choose from even fewer models that fit that bill. Given the fact that VoA's American lineup is abysmal compared to what is available in Europe, I'd say their pursuit to cater to larger cheaper sedan buyers has eclipsed everything else. And now that NO diesels of ANY kind are available here, that was the final nail in the coffin for a lot of us, myself included. There is zero chance I will buy a new Volkswagen ever again unless something drastic changes, which I doubt it will. :cool:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I guess the old saying applies

" You can't make a silk purse from a sows ears "

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Just to clarify, the trim level has nothing to do with sound insulation and materials. A "cheap" car is a cheap car, no matter the trim level. A white entry level $23k F150 has the exact same paint as a tarted up white $56k F150. It has the same door latches, window weatherstrips, hood hinges, frame coating, steering column U-joints, bumper supports, wheel bearings, etc. The NCS Jetta is no different. An S model has all the same bits under the skin as the most expensive SEL model. The main difference is the engine, which in the case of the NCS Jetta makes the S model a terrific value.

I think this is where so many consumers get duped. They assume that an expensive trim in a cheaper car makes it "just as good" as an entry level trim in a more expensive car, if the MSRP ends up being similar. That is absolutely NOT the case. There is no way a dolled up $28k diesel Cruze is twice the car as a $14k stripper Cruze. Aside from the diesel engine option, a base to mid level model Malibu is a nicer car.

So you can better gauge a caliber of a car if you at least look at the base price of that model, even if you have no desire or intention of purchasing something like that. It would seem most folks who feel slighted by the perceived quality of the NCS Jetta are the ones that bucked up for the TDI. They are usually the ones saying things like "if it were not for the engine I would have not bought this car", whereas the people that bought the S model feel like they stole the thing, as they paid about what Scion was asking for an IQ, and quite literally got TWICE the car instead.

I think that VoA did a reasonably good job in accessing the fact that Americans prefer larger, cheaper sedans when it comes to cars. I don't, but I am FAR from the average American consumer. Toyota figured this out. The Corolla and Camry we get, which we ONLY get in sedan form, are very much Americanized cars. Same for the Honda Accord (although there is a coupe version available, the wagons have long disappeared here). Same for the Civic.

The sales numbers do not lie, the NCS Jetta has enjoyed pretty good success here, Dieselgate nonsense aside. And its even more Americanized big brother, the NMS Passat, has had equal success, and has bested (by FAR) its predecessor's numbers. And the B6 Passat had the advantage of having both a wagon and AWD options (but no diesel for us).

So on one hand, Volkswagen was trying to go after sales to people who were perhaps not traditional buyers of their brand, but on the other hand may have alienated others who were traditional buyers, and are now are forced to choose from even fewer models that fit that bill. Given the fact that VoA's American lineup is abysmal compared to what is available in Europe, I'd say their pursuit to cater to larger cheaper sedan buyers has eclipsed everything else. And now that NO diesels of ANY kind are available here, that was the final nail in the coffin for a lot of us, myself included. There is zero chance I will buy a new Volkswagen ever again unless something drastic changes, which I doubt it will. :cool:
Having never spent any time really looking at an S in detail, I can't argue this with VW, but in other brands, leaving the sound insulation package (among other things) out to hit a price point is pretty common . . .

oilhammer

TDI
I must have missed it then. And I've worked on just about every brand there is. Unless it is specifically part of some package, under the skin looks the same to me. You pull a door panel off of a base Focus and a top of the line Focus, you can't tell the difference.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I know on Lawson's base F350, there was less insulation on the cab floor than a higher trim truck (his had the rubber floor coverings too). Higher trim vehicles can sometimes get better sound insulating glass too.

-J

oilhammer

TDI
I know on Lawson's base F350, there was less insulation on the cab floor than a higher trim truck (his had the rubber floor coverings too). Higher trim vehicles can sometimes get better sound insulating glass too.
-J
Yes, the difference between an XL and XLT. Lawson's truck was NOT a base truck, either. It had about $10k worth of options over the base F350. But the paint, springs, tailgate latch mechanism, pedal assembly, and a million other things are exactly the same no matter how little or how much you spend on trims. The stuff that matters.

Of course, the way Ford lists their trucks on the tag can lead you to think there are fewer "options" than there really are, because they usually start off with a higher than base starting point.

My '90 F350 for instance started with "F350 10,000 GVWR Supercab 4x2 XLT" as its "base". Well, that alone was multiple thousands of dollars more than the base F350 would have been. So it really only showed three options: Lariat trim package (which was mainly just the captain's chairs and center console), 7.3L V8 (the 7.5L was "standard" on that truck, but the true base F350 started with a 4.9L and the base 10k GVWR dually started with a 5.8L), and the automatic transmission. It was about $40k new in 1990. But you could have gone down to your Ford dealer and driven home with a BASE F350 for about $19k. ;)

Besides, ALL the diesel F-trucks get more sound insulation than the gassers do, regardless of trim, for obvious reasons. And you can also get a carpet delete on the XLTs and Lariats. There are also a bunch of a'la carte options you can get on an XL that come lumped standard on an XLT. On the older trucks, things like a map light, tachometer, lower door trim with map pockets, locking rear axle, and even something as granular as a glove box light, were all individual stand alone options you could get on an XL truck. I know because that is how my dad ordered his '94. And what is funny is some of the stuff is REALLY cheap... the tach was $48. :p
Pickup trucks tend to be much more varied with this sort of thing, though. Cars are not generally as widely varied.
And I can give one example where the fancier cars DID get better paint: the Focus SVT. Those were pulled out of the assembly line in Mexico and put into a special area where an extra bit of color sanding was done, clear coat applied, then the car was slid back into the line for final assembly. But I think that is a pretty rare occurrence.

Last edited:

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Would undercoating help?

I am wondering if undercoating would help with the cabin noise level on my car. Just throwing it out there. Thanks.

oilhammer

TDI
Probably wouldn't hurt, but not likely to make a huge difference. If you want to reduce road noise, pull the fender liners down and put Dynamat or similar under there against the body.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If the issue is road noise, the biggest factor that you can make a difference with, is tires. Try playing with pressure a bit but it's not likely to matter much. Changing to a different brand or series can. The tough part is figuring out what to use.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I've found Ecopias to be pretty quiet. Had them on my B4, now on my '99.5 Golf. I don't think another tire is going to make a big difference. If he had Kumhos or Sumitomos on the car, that would be another story.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
More pleased every tankful

My new 2015 Jetta S keeps getting better mileage every tankful. Using Fuelly my last tankful,mostly highway miles, averaged 43.4. Car is solid as a rock, handles well, is quick, and it's growing on me.
I have only 2400 miles and it just keeps getting better. The car is taking the bumps a wee bit softer.
Overall I am pleased with this blue fluid unit. I am sure they can tune this thing " on the edge" because of the blue fluid and cure some ills. I am looking forward to the car when it is broken in.
I put an LED light fixture in the trunk and it's so much more light. I also received some LED interior lights and am anxious to see if I like them.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
We have the "Trendline" version for both our Golfs ('16 hatchback and '17 wagon). That's the "S" in the US. Prior to those we had a Mk VI Golf hatch Highline, and a Mk V (2013) GSW Comfortline. There is *no* discernible difference in quality. The Highline had leather seats and built-in crappy nav. In reality our new Trendlines are arguably better equipped than the Comfortline, and pretty close to the highline. Both the Trendlines have everything I'd want in a VW: manual gearbox (I'd prefer a 6-sp but the 5-sp does the job), power everything, Apple CarPlay, cruise, leather multi-function steering wheel, and the best and most comfortable thing of all: CLOTH SEATS.

We honestly couldn't see the need to spend more. I do think the stock halogen lights are mediocre, so I put Ed's R-replica HIDs in mine and they are awesome. Wife is happy with the halogens in hers.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Keeps getting better

My new 2015 Jetta S keeps getting better mileage every tankful. Using Fuelly my last tankful,mostly highway miles, averaged 43.4. Car is solid as a rock, handles well, is quick, and it's growing on me.
I have only 2400 miles and it just keeps getting better. The car is taking the bumps a wee bit softer.
Overall I am pleased with this blue fluid unit. I am sure they can tune this thing " on the edge" because of the blue fluid and cure some ills. I am looking forward to the car when it is broken in.
I put an LED light fixture in the trunk and it's so much more light. I also received some LED interior lights and am anxious to see if I like them.
I am more pleased with my 2015 Jetta S. The ride has smoothed out, the road noise has quietened and the car is performing well. Mileage 42-44 suburban driving. Car is VERY quick and not easily embarrassed. Was coming up a ramp and a car was on my tail and I thought about leaving him in the dust but I decided to let him have the road. Good thing, as it was one of those hemi-powered Dodge Challengers. He did impress me when he whipped around me and made his taillights much smaller in a short time! My thoughts were: are you getting 40+ mpg?