Road trip distance?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
My longest road trip is a toss up between one I made in 2002 in my Miata and the one in 2012 in my Jetta; both were about 6,500 miles. I've also driven over 4,000 miles in Scandinavia in my 1981 Jetta; the trip started 30 days after we picked the car up in Luxembourg on Memorial Day weekend in 1981. In the 70s I drove all over Europe.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
My longest road trip was sadly not in a TDI, but in a Toyota MR2. The trip was from Birmingham to Roswell, NM, then to Cheyenne, WY, then to Pocatello, ID, then Seattle by way of Missoula, MT. From there it was north to Vancouver, BC, then down to Los Angeles, then east to San Antonio, Texas, then back to Birmingham. All told it was a bit over 7,000 miles and I only did it in about eight days.

If that isn't crazy enough, the transmission would not stay in 5th gear so I held the stick in place the entire time. Needless to say, my right forearm was rather buff when I finally parted with that car.

Not sure what my longest trip in a TDI would be. Either the trip from B'ham to Maine, Montreal and Toronto in my 2000 Golf or my trip to Los Angeles from central Mississippi in the '05 Golf.

zimmy

TDI
2015 gold tdi
Tdi trips

Wow!

Alota these trips make mine seem like nothing...:( I recently drove from pewaukee wisconsin up to thunder bay canada and back was about 1100 miles round trip. Seeing lake superior was pretty cool, never been up there and what a better way to do it in the golf. Made it all the way up to Duluth and still had some fuel left :D but decided to fill up there as gas stations get pretty sparce in the northland :cool: If anyone on this forum is from wisconsin area i highly reccomend this trip, pretty cool.

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
trust me, I know :) im from minnesota orginally.....i love camping up there in Gooseberry Falls State Park. Its amazing :) I also like split rock light house state park. If you get a chance ever to see it, its cool :). Unfortunately, the Lighthouse is no longer part of the DNR control, the Minnesota Historical Society runs it, so Separate entrance fees :(

Where you at, PM me, we should tdi it up sometime..... I think im not that far from you. Im in Wausau, eh

Wow!

Alota these trips make mine seem like nothing...:( I recently drove from pewaukee wisconsin up to thunder bay canada and back was about 1100 miles round trip. Seeing lake superior was pretty cool, never been up there and what a better way to do it in the golf. Made it all the way up to Duluth and still had some fuel left :D but decided to fill up there as gas stations get pretty sparce in the northland :cool: If anyone on this forum is from wisconsin area i highly reccomend this trip, pretty cool.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
My wife and I are both retired, which gives us adequate free time for road trips, however, we have two dogs and two cats, which restrict our travel time (we hire pet sitters whenever we leave, but still feel guilty).

We have other vehicles (a sedan, a pick up, three motorcycles and an ATV), but still put over 40,000 miles on our TDI in 2 years, because we love driving it.

Our first road trip in the JSW was up to Nevada, which is only a couple hours drive, but it's over Hwy 88 through the Sierra Nevada mountains, so it's a fun drive, and this little TDI with a 6 sp manual loves the mountains. We went to Iggy & Squiggy's Bar and Grill for their famous ribeye steak sandwich lunch. It's on Hwy 395 just north of Lake Topaz and unless you know exactly where to look you'll never find it.

Our second road trip was to Pinetop Arizona. My wife wanted to see some of old Route 66 and I have a cousin in Pinetop that I hadn't seen in years, so off we went, stopping in Winslow Arizona to see the famous corner (Standing on the Corner in Winslow Arizona). We also enjoyed seeing Wig Wom motels, Burma Shave signs and other relics of by gone days. I think we averaged about 43 MPG, even with my heavy foot.

Our most recent trip was to San Felipe, Mexico. We fueled up before leaving home and did't need more fuel until we got to Palm Springs (almost 600 miles). We spent the night in Palm Springs and joined up with friends and continued into Mexico the following morning. San Felipe is a little fishing village on the East coast of the Baja, Inexpensive, friendly and great weather during our cold winter months. I probably kept the speedometer at around 80 MPH more often than not on this trip and with my wife and a weeks worth of baggage (and 4 kilos of shrimp coming back in my cooler), I still averaged about 42 MPG.

We absolutely love this little JSW and just hope that the VW “fix” doesn't screw it up.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
My longest road trip so far was about 7700 miles round trip. This was long before I owned my Jetta. Actually, the road trip was done in a Pontiac Fiero... no kidding.

We started out in Orlando Florida, then went to:

White Sands
Meteor Crater
Grand Canyon
Pike's Peak
Royal Gorge
Mount Rushmore
Yellowstone
Grand Tetons

... and then back home. The whole tour took about 3 weeks... lots of camping and hiking, lots of photos, and many fond memories.

I haven't gone on a road trip in the Jetta yet. But next time, we're taking the Jetta.

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
My longest road trip was last September - about 9700 miles from San Diego to Nova Scotia and back. Took about 30 days. A couple of years before that we drove from San Diego to Montreal via Route 66 and back - about 6500 round trip.

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
Not my longest, but did a ski trip from Santa Cruz CA to Victor ID. It's about 12 hours to get there. Did some skiing for about a week then back. Solo, and each leg in one sitting, save for stopping for fuel and to drain a tank every so often.
I've also been making the trek to Bend OR for skiing with the TDI. That's about 10 hours in the saddle each way.
I find the mk 4 seats to be less than super comfy on long drives.

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
San Juan Capistrano to Fairbanks, Denali National Park, Anchorage with various side trips and back. 8500 miles total July 30-Aug 15. Went north via I5 Sumas, WA border crossing, which sucked, would do Vancouver next time, if there is a next time, Montana origin of I15 crossing coming back. Hope BC up to Cassiar Highway, Whitehorse YT to Fairbanks. Ft Nelson to Prince George BC then Jasper and Banff National Park to Calgary Alberta then I15 home.

Fuel mileage average was probably 47-48 with new Michelin 205-65-15s. Awesome trip but lots of driving in short time...averaged 500 miles a day. Saw a funnel cloud in Denali NP, very rare.
Does the Cassiar still have a couple hundred miles of gravel or is it all paved now?

AmandaSch

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Memorial Day weekend drove 1700 round trip to Nashville to help some friends move and then just this past weekend did the trip again for CMA fest.

CHDriver

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Just finished a trip from Atlanta to Clarksville, TN, then to Paducah, KY (all interstate driving). Then west on US 62/65 to Branson, MO (beautiful drive). Then home via Little Rock, AR (US 65) (beautiful rolling hills), Memphis (I-40), new I-22 to Birmingham, AL and the final leg on I-20 to Atlanta. Some 750-mi with cruise 5-mph over limit for an moving average of 65-mph. MPG for trip: 42 as per "Fuelly."

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Last summer we did a 2300 mile round trip from NC to IA. We're doing the same this summer but adding a 450 mile bike ride in the middle of the trip.

jay.sejkora2011

TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2009 Jetta Sportwagen,2006 Jetta- sold, 2006 Jetta- sold, 2001 Jetta-sold
In July I went from DC to San Fransisco..43hrs total first run. Then back the following week. Kinda tired for a few days. took longer than anticipated.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
We just clicked over 10k miles on a road trip that started in Southeast Kentucky to Alaska and back down through the Rocky Mountains. We finished up in Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Jackson Hole, etc., today (July 25th) and headed east to Douglas, Wyoming. We plan to hit Crazy Horse, Rushmore and the Badlands tomorrow and then head for home... expecting to go beyond 11k miles in about 31 days!

EDIT: The road trip was finished on July 29th ... 31 days and 11,860 miles!~ (ALH 84 Vanagon)

Last edited:

captain

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (manual) - SOLD;2002 Jetta TDI(auto) - SOLD
2013, drove my 2001 Jetta TDI (5 speed) from Raleigh, NC to San Antonio Texas. Our son was having his 4th surgery down there (the other 3, my wife flew with him down there and rented a car). We made a quick trip over to NM to Roswell and Carlsbad Caverns. Trip was great. Want to believe we only filled up 6 times on the whole trip but it was probably 7. Something like 4600 miles.

Seeing how successful that was, in 2015 my wife and our oldest son drove her 2002 Jetta TDI (auto) from Raleigh to Los Angeles to visit with family. They went west on I-80 and came back on I-40. Somewhere around 6000 miles.

For both trips, the Jettas did quite well without problems. Not bad as they were both around 180-200k miles.

AmandaSch

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
We just clicked over 10k miles on a road trip that started in Southeast Kentucky to Alaska and back down through the Rocky Mountains. We finished up in Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Jackson Hole, etc., today (July 25th) and headed east to Douglas, Wyoming. We plan to hit Crazy Horse, Rushmore and the Badlands tomorrow and then head for home... expecting to go beyond 11k miles in about 31 days!

EDIT: The road trip was finished on July 29th ... 31 days and 11,860 miles!~ (ALH 84 Vanagon)
My family took a trip to the parks in '92 and now I'm wanting to go back on another trip myself out to Yellowstone and possibly some others, hoping my friends in Nashville would want to do that.

Skydvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MkIV
My trip was about 8,500 miles in three weeks through 21 states. I really only explored 13-14 states, the rest I pretty much just passed through. The last 3,000 miles was covered in 3.5 days. No time to check stuff out on the way home.

Didn't get to check out Yellowstone, but did check out Zion, Death Valley, Yosemite, Lake Mead, Redwood Forrest, Navaho Monument, Rio Grande, and a bunch of smaller free parks. When I was at the Grand Canyon was the day before the free access weekend, but didn't feel like paying $30 to access so I didn't make it into the actual park. I caught Zion, Death Valley, and Yosemite during the free weekend, so buying a pass was going to end up costing $30 for half a day in one park.

Three weeks to explore the country definitely wasn't enough time.
If you are traveling with others and head straight to the parks driving in shifts, you would have plenty of time if you are only hitting a few of them up, but I spent a lot of time exploring and stopping to photograph on my way out to the West Coast.

RedDeer49

TDI
2005 Passat wagon TDI
Last week I bought my 2005 Passat TDI wagon in Denver and drove it back to California. A beautiful drive on Interstate 70 through the Rockies. Then crossed the wide open desert valleys and mountain passes of Utah. Then more desert on Hiway 50 through Nevada. Very scenic, but I was really glad to see green again when I got to the east side of the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Most of the drive was above 5500 ft elevation ( high desert ). No any traffic, so I drove 80 mph most of the time. Travelled 1200 miles in two days, very comfortable in the VW seats and quiet cabin.

theprimer

TDI
VW Golf 2.0L Diesel
Last week I bought my 2005 Passat TDI wagon in Denver and drove it back to California. A beautiful drive on Interstate 70 through the Rockies. Then crossed the wide open desert valleys and mountain passes of Utah. Then more desert on Hiway 50 through Nevada. Very scenic, but I was really glad to see green again when I got to the east side of the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Most of the drive was above 5500 ft elevation ( high desert ). No any traffic, so I drove 80 mph most of the time. Travelled 1200 miles in two days, very comfortable in the VW seats and quiet cabin.
Oh you're kidding? This sounds glorious :) I saw this region maybe 15 years ago, but would love travel it on my own.

paulschmid07

TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI
Our favorite is a trip to Portland, Oregon area to see the wifes family. We live in East Central Illinois so thats about 7,000k round trip. We've done it 3 times now and have the timing down to a science, 36-40hr drive total, with minimal stopping for food/bathroom we can do it in just over two days. Pull an all nighter the first night, drive 24hrs and then stop to sleep. That first night isn't too bad to stay awake and sleep in the car but night two is rough and not worth it or safe to drive straight through. So we stay somewhere in Utah/Idaho and finish the last stint fully rested.

We've totaled expenses and we spend less in diesel than we do in food while driving!

Family thinks were nuts for driving a "old" car that far but they don't know the TDI will outlast their new plastic crap. And we spend 20-25% of the cost of plane tickets and get there only about a day later!

One year we drove from Illinois to LA to visit my sister, then up the coast to Oregon and back to Illinois. Put just over 10,000k on the old jetta that trip. The drive up Pacific Coast Highway in Northern California was awesome. Winding and slow progress but great scenery right on the coast! With all the curves its 40-45mph on much of RT1/101 there, the TDI got the best mileage we've ever had on that stretch just idling in 5th. I think we got just over 55mpg if I remember right.

This past Christmas on the way back from Oregon, it was so cold through Wyoming area we were scared to stop anywhere and shut the car off. It cold starts really good, but I don't even know anything about 25-30 below zero! It was so cold, if we ran the heater on high it would bring the engine temp down even at highway speeds.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Just returned from my semi-annual trip of 3,000 miles from south of Puerto Vallarta to home in Ontario. Fall is going southbound and spring is going northbound.
I drive 2,000 miles via Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas and Texas to Laredo and then drive 1,000 more miles within in Mexico.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
Just returned from my semi-annual trip of 3,000 miles from south of Puerto Vallarta to home in Ontario. Fall is going southbound and spring is going northbound.
I drive 2,000 miles via Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas and Texas to Laredo and then drive 1,000 more miles within in Mexico.
That's awesome! I can only imagine the hassle involved in crossing into the US each time, though. I hear they can be real jerks nowadays.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's awesome! I can only imagine the hassle involved in crossing into the US each time, though. I hear they can be real jerks nowadays.

Nowadays? They were 30 years ago!

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
Nowadays? They were 30 years ago!
I had my share of less than ideal encounters coming back into the US from Canada prior to 9/11, but I've heard SO many horror stories from people returning home or foreigners passing through I'm wondering if it's even worth leaving the country anymore.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I cross the Canadian boarder about every six weeks. The worst encounter in 20+ years was when they asked me more than three questions. I had one issue with US Customs when my passport number matched a felons social security number. That took about an hour for them to clean up.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
easy crossing

My wife and I just returned from a quick run from Vermont up to Toronto via Buffalo to attend her parents funeral.
Canadian customs were literally a breeze even with declaring our six pack of Long Trail Ale.
Returning, again via Buffalo with my daughter and boyfriend, we got the 3 q's and again declared the Long Trail, as there was plenty else to drink:)
Probably the easiest crossings we have ever had and we have been back and forth probably dozens of times over the years.
The PD returned over 46 mpgs for the entire trip and the bulk of the 1000 miles was at 75 mph and higher.
Those Canadians sure are a fast bunch:D

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI

I usually have very few problems. One time on the US side of the Ambassador bridge (Detroit) the man asked me how much money I had on me. Naively I told him I had 42,000 pesos. Well the idiot did not relize that was just a bit over $ 3,000.00. So they went through my car. That evening when I was looking for my glasses to read I realized those trained apes dropped and scratched the lenses. Had to get new ones made.

Now I just tell them about $ 2,000.00 and they're happy.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I usually have very few problems. One time on the US side of the Ambassador bridge (Detroit) the man asked me how much money I had on me. Naively I told him I had 42,000 pesos. Well the idiot did not relize that was just a bit over $ 3,000.00. So they went through my car. That evening when I was looking for my glasses to read I realized those trained apes dropped and scratched the lenses. Had to get new ones made.

Now I just tell them about $ 2,000.00 and they're happy.
Was this coming INTO these United States or EXITING? I've never been asked how much money I have. Hmmm with debit cards, basically you are carrying your entire checking account so I wonder if you'll need to report that someday. Currently only amounts over $10,000 US in the form of cash, money order, or traveler's checks need to be reported.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Was this coming INTO these United States or EXITING? I've never been asked how much money I have. Hmmm with debit cards, basically you are carrying your entire checking account so I wonder if you'll need to report that someday. Currently only amounts over $10,000 US in the form of cash, money order, or traveler's checks need to be reported.
Unless I have my VW buyback money in the account, that would never be a problem for me! I have the debit card linked only to checking. That limits what someone can raid through the debit card.