Old Route 66 west-bound, Sierra Nevadas/Colorado Rockies east-bound

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
hey Volks,

I'm in the planning stages of my annual road-trip(s.) two of my best friends will be riding along with me. so far, one has passed my "TDI-driving instruction" class. he even scored extra credit with some proper rev-matching:D! my other friend will not be driving until he passes:p! I'm confident in his ability though, as he has a little more experience. he just hasn't had the chance to prove himself to me yet;)

the idea is Route 66, without the stopping in every small town. starting out I will be taking I-55 to STL, I-44 to OKC, and I-40 to that giant meteor crater west of Winslow, AZ. the meteor crater is basically the first "attraction" on our list of places to see/experience. I have also roughly calculated that I can drive to it in ~24 hours of non-stop TDI madness. don't know if I will actually attempt to or not, but it would be fun:cool:

originally we had planned to get off I-40 and drive through Santa Fe and back down through Albuquerque via I-25, but it doesn't look like we're going to do that. we've got friends and family all along the way, and so far the only city we need a hotel for is Las Vegas:cool:. we will be doing a lot of camping when we're not visiting friends/family

this is a rough draft of what we're going to do: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou....160317,-104.0625&spn=16.048805,28.300781&z=5

^^that map is not final, but it gives you a good idea of the routes

we've got a lot of stuff planned for NM, AZ, NV, CA, OR, UT, and CO but I'm open for suggestions from you folks who are local to our routes and/or travelled them before. later on, I will have some specific questions for people who are knowledgeable/local to areas we're going to be passing through:)

right now I'm basically open to any suggestions/ideas/cautions (no matter how random) and what I really want to know is: where's the premium diesel?!:D

I figure I can make it to ~OKC before I need to top off. I'm probably going to stop before that and get some Sinclair in Missouri, Old Navy has a thread regarding Sinclair/50 Cetane: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=245450

lots of stuff on my to-do list! hoping to get my Koni STR.Ts and have them installed before departure. also, I'm hoping I can scrape together the $$$ for a FULL METAL JACKET Panzer Plate:D as well! my friends in the Prescott, AZ area tell me there are a lot of un-paved roads:eek:

tentative departure is 5/31/09 FWIW:)

EWDurbin

TDI
:|
Please do not pass up Valley of Fire State Park off of I-15 north of Vegas.

DO NOT PASS IT UP. Also, go all the way back to white domes...

And a glamour shot of my Golf on it's way through the park.

EWDurbin

TDI
:|
Back story I suppose. Myself and two friends did 6200 miles in 10 days in the Golf.

Cleveland to St. Louis to Denver to Vegas to Grand Canyon to Tuscon to Houston to Atlanta to Cleveland.

Along the way we stopped off at Arches National Park, Valley of Fire State Park, Hoover Dam, the Arizona Hot Springs at Lake Mohave (in the middle of the night... very fantastic stuff) and Grand Canyon.

Valley of Fire blew my mind in an unfathomable way.

Pictures at http://gallery.me.com/ewdurbin for now.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
I did Route 66 back in the mid 90's. As far as some sites to see, here are some different Route 66 tourist places I saw along the way:

Missouri:
Ted Drewes Frozen Custard stand in St Louis
Meramac Caverns

Kansas:
Only 13.2 miles of Route 66
Nothing too exciting obviously...

Oklahoma:
The old Blue Whale which is an old abandoned tourist trap is in Catoosa, OK. Not sure what it looks like now, but it was a cool old creepy stop (granted it is marked as no trespassing)

The Old Round Barn in Arcadia, OK. Not too exciting, but a very big, interesting building and a piece or Americana.

Texas:
It doesn't get much better than the "Tribute to Barbed Wire" aka, Devil's Rope museum in MClean, TX:D

The Big Texan Steak House in Amarillo, TX, home of the "Free 72 ounce Steak!!"
Cadillac Ranch just outside Amarillo, TX as well. Bring your own paint, as you are encouraged to leave your mark.

Arizona:
You can stay at the Wigwam Hotel in Holbrook, AZ

There's also Winslow, AZ from the Eagles song, which is nothing exciting.
Definitely take a side trip up to the Grand Canyon

John McMillin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, Cyber Green
I'd do a quick search and pick up DVD copies of the old Route 66 TV show. I've become a fan, almost 50 years after the shows aired. Most were filmed nowhere near Route 66, but they do provide a realistic, black and white portrayal of a pre-Interstate, pre-chain-store America. Any road trip movie is a start, but this is the real thing.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Hey there, as you go along the interstate by now...

Here is a MUST or two!
1. When going North on 25(Denver/FT Collins), do not retrace BUT go West towards Walden through the Cache La Poudre canyon. This is very beautifull area and with the TDI a lot of fun! It is all uphill with the canyon on your right hand, BEAUTIFULL at this time of year(before the RV's invade!).
@ Walden, go South towards Rocky Mountain National Park(125/40 S):
http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/visitor_centers.htm and Granby.
After the visit you can return/retrace, go South on 40 and you'll hit I-70 just outside of Idaho Springs where TOMMYNOCKER Brewery is located(great stuff, even bison burgers!), or head towards Estes Park/Boulder. IN BOULDER, Mark/Wolfsburg Auto repair is super good and quick if you are in need of repairs.)
(IF) Heading West towards Leadville(24 S), turn South for Copper Mountain(open pit type, reclaimed since 1995) and stop in Buena Vista(RAFTING even NOW, Brrr!). On 285 W(from "Bueni"), heads towards 160 W> Wolf Creek Pass/Pagosa Springs and possibly Durango.
Pagosa has some of the BEST mineral hot springs on the face of the EARTH(sort of hidden fact) AND (IMO) one of the BESTEST breweries in the Nation! Pagosa Brewery, Tony is the brewmaster and artfull at his duties. Even soft drinks are made in house..
There you have choice to go South to ALBQ or Durango.
Actually the best way to get away from here is to go to Farmington and head due South towards Crowpoint on to Thoreau and I-40 putting you back on course...

Reminder: Cache La Poudre, Estes Park w/Rocky Mountain Natl Park, Leadville and Pagosa Springs are a MUST, you are sooo close!

With a little readjusting from the planning commitee, a figure eight( can be done and you WILL see a LOT of the good stuff from Colorado waiting to see MOAB on the return part. X down AZ 190 South to Moab and go to 160 East> Durango, Pagosa again, Chama and Taos on your way to Highway 64 East that is called "top of the World", where Wolf and Bison packs are plenty!
Continue to Cimarron canyon and Springer/Logan headed to Amarillo and you'll be back where you need to be :) . Just a little criss-crossed :cool: !

PS. There is BIO. on the Commerce part of N Denver, BIO in Boulder BUT super expensive @ Barkus/close to Whole Foods.

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
I hope to do some road trips eventually in my new TDI, there a lot of diesel stops a long route 66?

SoCalC

Veteran Member
vwcampin said:
Missouri:
Ted Drewes Frozen Custard stand in St Louis
Meramac Caverns

Kansas:
Only 13.2 miles of Route 66
Nothing too exciting obviously...

Oklahoma:
The old Blue Whale which is an old abandoned tourist trap is in Catoosa, OK. Not sure what it looks like now, but it was a cool old creepy stop (granted it is marked as no trespassing)
I can relate to this post. There is a place in Branson called Culver's that advertises Frozen Custard Butter Burgers on their sign. It is Frozen Custard and Butter Burgers they are advertising but it all runs together on the sign. If that isn't the most unhealthy yet inviting menu I don't know what is.

As far as the abondoned tourist trap in Catoosa; I mistakenly exited I44/412 today while eastbout towards Branson. About a mile north I ended up in Catoosa, OK, but didn't see the whale. I abononed the town within ten minutes after spending some time with passengers tending to personal needs and re-directing myself to 412 east.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
boutmuet said:
I hope to do some road trips eventually in my new TDI, there a lot of diesel stops a long route 66?
YES, there are a LOT of Diesel stops along the old 66 route. With a properly filled tank and speed limits, you can get to any of them with ease...

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
cptmox said:
So long as you reach Amarillo By Morning, you can see the Cadillac Ranch just off the highway as you pass through the panhandle.
It's worth stopping for a few minutes to stretch your legs and walk around the Caddys. Also be sure to stop at the Big Texan while going through Amarillo for the best steak you'll ever have. Eat the 72 oz'er in under an hour and get it free! Yea, it's a bit of a tourist trap, but it's fun, and they really know how to do a steak right.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
vwcampin said:
There's also Winslow, AZ from the Eagles song, which is nothing exciting.
I urge you to bypass Winslow, or at least to be very careful regarding unmarked speed limits. You think you are on a 45-mph road? Nope, it's 25. Just don't even bother stopping, there is nothing there worth the price of a traffic ticket.

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
TornadoRed said:
there is nothing there worth the price of a traffic ticket
LOL - I'm hoping you aren't speaking from experience:eek:

I don't plan to stop. didn't stop there last year because we were trying to get to the meteor crater before sunset! (missed closing time by about 10 minutes:mad:)

OTOH, it may be a good photo opportunity to take a picture of the town limits sign saying: Welcome to Winslow, AZ:cool:

Last edited:

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
Since many parts of route 66 are truncated what is a good route up route 66 from Santa Monica to probably Oklahoma City? I hate to hijack the thread but I'd like to know since I'm considering a Route 66 trip this summer.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
This seems like a good site, but if you start to type "route" into Google, it will complete "route 66" for you.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
boutmuet said:
Thank you very much I didn't know google maps had that feature
Not in Google Maps, but in the Google search engine preferences:

Select "Provide query suggestions in the search box"

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
boutmuet said:
Since many parts of route 66 are truncated what is a good route up route 66 from Santa Monica to probably Oklahoma City? I hate to hijack the thread but I'd like to know since I'm considering a Route 66 trip this summer.
LOL, only OK city? It goes all the way to the "windy city" in case you like to travel...

Yes, as the link to the route 66 mentions, the road is not marked as much as it was earlier in those maps. Take your time and better make a detailed trip route with AAA(if you have access to their help), they have a GOOD resource center about the 'ol 66!

Happy motoring!

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
bikeprof said:
LOL, only OK city? It goes all the way to the "windy city" in case you like to travel...

Yes, as the link to the route 66 mentions, the road is not marked as much as it was earlier in those maps. Take your time and better make a detailed trip route with AAA(if you have access to their help), they have a GOOD resource center about the 'ol 66!

Happy motoring!
Trust me, if I only had more time than I do I could drive more on 66 I would hahaha

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
bikeprof said:

Happy motoring!
Illinois has a robust Route 66 following:

http://www.illinoisroute66.com/

http://www.il66assoc.org/

http://www.theroadwanderer.net/66Illinois/route66IL.htm

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/66-Illinois.html

http://www.route66-drivein.com/