05 Bew Golf Auto to stick

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
OK so it looks like I will be moving on from my Old reliable 00 Alh to an 05 Golf auto. It just so happens that I have a stick set up from an 05 wagon. Both cars are Bew engines. Are these parts compatible for this swap?
Who's done this swap and how bad is it? I have never driven an auto diesel VW and quite honestly don't know if I want to.....

Any help would be appreciated!

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Is the auto tranny giving problems? I think the auto might surprise you. Being a 5 speed Jatco it wont be as busy and the engine itself is quieter. Put it through its paces a couple of weeks and see what you think. If the tranny is good and not you put the Jatco in the classifieds.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, that Jatco unit is at least tolerable. If it is still in good working order, I'm not sure I'd bother with the swap... and I despise automatics.

I do know the BEW cars have more differences auto vs. manual than the ALH cars do.

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
Well the car has low miles 129k
So I don't expect it to give me a lot of problems since it hasn't had much use.
Question either of you know if an 05 Bew Wagon could be used as a doner?
Will the axles work? How about the modules and computer?? Looking for a write up on how it's done...
Both cars are similar as far as what they have for options...
What is so great about that auto trans?
I would be looking to make this car a bit more powerful as in a tune,turbo nozzles etc...
Can those Jatcos handle more power?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
Schoust -

2 of my kids drive BEW/Jatco's... to swap or not to swap is up to you, but I drive them on occasion and they aren't too bad, I just prefer the manual.

Sorry can't answer to the wagon questions although I'd assume the parts will work.

Performance - You can upgrade to a vnt17 and tune without having to touch injectors. Your tuner might have some advice on what the jatco can handle.

If you do keep driving I'd recommend drain/fill 3-4 quarts of fluid at a time during your next couple oil changes - it should/could help the solenoids last longer. I bought both of mine with failing solenoids at around 170k.

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
Ok thanks for the advice however I was hoping that someone had done this swap. I have my mind set on replacing this auto trans but want to avoid any major hassles...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The entire front harnesses are all different, battery tray and mounting is different. Again, this is not like the 01M cars before it, where all that stuff was essentially identical as a manual car.

Given the fact that the Jatcos do not fail nearly as often as the 01Ms, you are not likely to find a whole lot of info on swapping. The 09A Jatco, and versions similar to it, have been used with MUCH more powerful VAG products as well as some Ford/Mazda/Jaguar applications behind V6s. They are actually not too bad of a slushbox, all things considered.

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
The entire front harnesses are all different, battery tray and mounting is different. Again, this is not like the 01M cars before it, where all that stuff was essentially identical as a manual car.
Given the fact that the Jatcos do not fail nearly as often as the 01Ms, you are not likely to find a whole lot of info on swapping. The 09A Jatco, and versions similar to it, have been used with MUCH more powerful VAG products as well as some Ford/Mazda/Jaguar applications behind V6s. They are actually not too bad of a slushbox, all things considered.
That's good to know... I was planning to replace turbo with a vnt17 when the time comes and I can feel a little better about tuning it.