HOW TO N75 barb repair

Gordon Peterson

Veteran Member
TDI
1959 Ford F100 TDI ALH conversion
How many times have you seen an N75 valve or other vacuum device with a broken barb fitting. Instead of purchasing a $75 part how about 5 minutes and $1?

Or how can you get buy untill you get a new one ?

Always use a shop vac to pull chips and shavings away during the process...

1. Use a file to clear away the broken fitting and prepare a flat surface.
2. Tap the hole out to work with the fitting you have. Here I used a
10-32 tap for the brass fitting in the picture.
3. use a very small amount of teflon pipe dope/sealer on the threads.
(REALLY... a small amount only.)
4. Thread the fitting into the hole, tighten only lightly to prevent the
plastic from cracking. (This isn't holding the world together)
5. Plug it in and go.

I used this to repair an N75 valve that the fitting broke off of and it works great. Remember to keep shavings and crap out of the valve... Blow it out, vacuum it out... The system will not tolerate much crap.

This repair procedure should work on other parts also and different size fitting are also availiable for larger holes or tube.

You should be able to pick up the fitting at any local industrial supply location. The pic from McMastercarr is here for your reference.

:)

Last edited:

PEPO

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI
Can I do the same To fix the nipple on the anti shurdder valve? same size fitting?

Thanks

PEPO

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI
I just replaced the nipple of the Anti shudder valve with one of those, came our really well!!!

Thanks for the Idea!!!

Gordon Peterson

Veteran Member
TDI
1959 Ford F100 TDI ALH conversion
Glad to hear it worked for you. This simple cheap fix can be used in many places on our cars. Vacuum lines always get stuck on the fittings and it is really easy to break the plastic ones off when pulling.

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
If you don't have a tap (but you still need a tap drill), you can heat up the fitting with a torch to about 300- 350 F (forming temperature of many plastics) and tap it with the fitting. Put a drop of crazy glue afterwards followed by some epoxy to insure a good seal & strength. I had to do that when I broke the nipple off the MAP sensor inside the ECU and had to make a custom fitting and a short tap drill bit and drilled and tapped it with a micro hand ratchet since there was no room to use an elec drill or swing a tap wrench.

Ps. I'd consider such a repair to be permanent / better than new because you now have a metal instead of a plastic nipple.

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
Thanks for the idea Gordon, i might possibly attempt to accomplish this on my asv