battery operated oil extractor

strobes

TDI
Found this " Motor Oil Fluid Drain Suction Pump Extractor With Tube"
on Ebay. Curios if any one has used it? Please share your experience.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
No, haven't used or heard of it, but I can tell you it doesn't take much effort to pump a Pela 20 times...don't really see any point of having a battery operated one for an engine that holds 4.5 qts; just creates more points of failure

How much is it?

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
strobes said:
Found this " Motor Oil Fluid Drain Suction Pump Extractor With Tube"
on Ebay. Curios if any one has used it? Please share your experience.
I'm not sure what kind of pump you're seeing on eBay (no links), but this is what I use. I got it at Northern Tools a few years ago, but I can't find it on their website currently. It's mainly meant for marine use, and I did find it on several marine sites for around $120. More expensive than a Pela, but I've gotten my money's worth out of mine. Works great!

strobes

TDI

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
K5ING said:
this is what I use. I got it at Northern Tools a few years ago, but I can't find it on their website currently. It's mainly meant for marine use, and I did find it on several marine sites for around $120. More expensive than a Pela, but I've gotten my money's worth out of mine. Works great!

I've used this for 4 years now. Reliable, constant powerful suction, effortless to use. When your done sucking the sumps dry, flip the switch and pump the old oil into your disposal container.

Here's a selection to look over.

http://www.google.com/products?q=Oil+Change+System&show=dd

Last edited:

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
K5ING said:
I'm not sure what kind of pump you're seeing on eBay
__. At an ImpexFest a few years ago, I saw "McBrew" change someone's oil using a similar pump (or maybe identical but I think that he said that this one was homemade). Quick, easy, clean. I was very impressed.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I have one that is a twin to the one pictured below. Works great, but I change a lot of oil.

One caveat. It uses a "flexible impeller". If you run the pump with it dry, it will wear the impeller out quickly. Not cheap to replace. Ask me how I know....

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
I love mine, but I made one minor modification. Mine came with a 3ft length of (I think) 3/8" tubing that connected to the pump, and about a 3ft length of (again, I think) 1/4" tubing that connected to the larger hose. I just got a 6ft length of 3/8" tubing and use that instead. It pumps much faster, and it still fits down into the dipstick tube and the oil filter housing holes.

As an aside question...anyone know where I can take about 37 gallons of used Delvac 1? :)

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
K5ING said:
As an aside question...anyone know where I can take about 37 gallons of used Delvac 1? :)
Find a garage that has an oil furnace. Lots of tire places that do oil changes have them. They will usually let you dump it in their 1000 gallon tank.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I have the SurFlo 12V pump without the container.
Works like a charm, and it even pumps D2 which I use to purge
the tubing when I'm done. I too use 3/8 vinyl combined with a 1/4ID
poly type(can't remember the full name) tubing for more flexibility.
A couple of empty milk cartons completes the process, which goes a
whole lot smoother and faster especially the oil filter housing.
Model no. 8050-305-626, comes with the 8ft. cable with alligator clamps.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
At an ImpexFest a few years ago, I saw "McBrew" change someone's oil using a similar pump (or maybe identical but I think that he said that this one was homemade). Quick, easy, clean. I was very impressed.
Very similar... I did not make it, though... mine is made by Jabsco and is available at Boaters World. Topside changers are required for most inboard boat engines (like the one in my Shamrock). I have had two different hand-pump vacuum changers and both of them failed after a while (bad seals). Of course, I use them a lot, since we have a bunch of cars, trucks, boats, etc.

SoMDTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE BRM/JCR
Getting rid of used oil in an eco-friendly way.

K5ING said:
Check with your county landfill. Where I live, used oil (including filter) and antifreeze can be recycled at the county landfill for free.:D

Last edited: