Nokian WR G4 tires for 2014 JSW

bmc1980

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG (bought 5.29.2019)...2002 VW Jetta wagon GLS 2.0L (gas) RIP 5.19.2019 due to accident
It's that time of the year - I am contemplating the purchase of some Nokia WR G4 tires (all weather) that were recommended to me the other day when I took my JSW in for it's 50,000 mile service. I live in Colorado, and am unaccustomed to driving in winter/snow conditions. I've searched through various threads on here about tires, and most recommend snow tires. How about all weather tires instead? Are they radically different from dedicated snow versus all season tires? I do want something that I don't have to change out, hence the all weather tires.

And the TDI mechanic I went to for my oil change was from the recommended list on this forum. He quoted me $770 out the door for a set of the Nokians. Please advise...

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
It's that time of the year - I am contemplating the purchase of some Nokia WR G4 tires (all weather) that were recommended to me the other day when I took my JSW in for it's 50,000 mile service. I live in Colorado, and am unaccustomed to driving in winter/snow conditions. I've searched through various threads on here about tires, and most recommend snow tires. How about all weather tires instead? Are they radically different from dedicated snow versus all season tires? I do want something that I don't have to change out, hence the all weather tires.

And the TDI mechanic I went to for my oil change was from the recommended list on this forum. He quoted me $770 out the door for a set of the Nokians. Please advise...

I think the best set up is to put on winter/snow tires
You can buy some steel wheels and have a mounted on those that way you can change them yourself?

Did you look on tire rack.com? For any other recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I'm a big fan of Nokians. We run eNtyres in the summer and Hakkas in the winter. That being said, if I had to pick a single tire for year-round use for mixed climate driving, it would be the G4. If you are not familiar with Nokian, just do a little research. Not too many tire companies come close. Check ebay for competitive price comparisons. You can often get them delivered to your door for free.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
I've been running GR3's for the last 2 summers but dedicated winters are where it's at.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Since you're not from a winter climate I'd like to impress upon you that non-winter tires will always be a compromise. I'd also recommend some dedicated winter tires. Hakkas are an excellent choice.

That said, the WR are likely the least of a compromise you'll find for a year-round set if you insist on one set of tires. I am a huge fan of Nokian.

bmc1980

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG (bought 5.29.2019)...2002 VW Jetta wagon GLS 2.0L (gas) RIP 5.19.2019 due to accident
Thanks for the tips and information guys - I do want to stick with a dedicated set of tires all year that I don't need to switch out. Having to store an extra set of tires is a bit of a hassle.

I'm wondering - with the Nokian WR G4 tires, would I still need chains if I went up into the mountains? I sometimes go up to Frisco and Breckenridge, and I know conditions can be poor going through I70 into Summit County. Do snow or winter tires necessarily obviate the need for chains?

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Never needed or had the want for chains running winters myself.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Thanks for the tips and information guys - I do want to stick with a dedicated set of tires all year that I don't need to switch out. Having to store an extra set of tires is a bit of a hassle.

I'm wondering - with the Nokian WR G4 tires, would I still need chains if I went up into the mountains? I sometimes go up to Frisco and Breckenridge, and I know conditions can be poor going through I70 into Summit County. Do snow or winter tires necessarily obviate the need for chains?

If I were to run an all-weather tire, it would be the G4. The G4, however, is not a Hakka, and not studded. It won't get the kind of traction that studs will, and if you're driving through the "snow chains required" CO passes, you'll likely need something specific for the conditions.

In VT (former Nokian US home), there were several Nokian dealers that stored your summer tires for you, and the mount/balance/storage was part of the initial price. Might be worth researching locally.

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
If you're set on having one tire for year round purposes and you plan on or might be driving during a snowstorm (i.e.: anywhere west of Denver) you should absolutely have chains both as a precaution and because on many roads there are chain/traction tire laws that go into effect and not having them would make you liable to getting a ticket at the least and an accident at worst. Snow tires are specifically designed to deal with colder temperatures and slippery surfaces such as ice and packed snow. Yes you can still break traction with a snow tire, but you and your occupants are all much safer because doing so is much more difficult with a snow tire than an all season tire.

Since you don't want to have two sets of tires due to storage, you should also realize that an all season tire will be a different and harder rubber compound instead of a softer, grippier rubber compound of a dedicated winter tire, which will directly effect your traction as temperatures drop below 30*F and when the road surface accumulates enough snow to pack into the abrasive top surface of pavement. The siping of the tire will also be different and generally designed for liquid water, which might not evacuate snow (particularly high moisture content snow) from the channels as well as intended during accumulating snow events which also compromises traction.

Studs are typically useful when snow has a tendency to pack into ice, or during an ice storm. They certainly do help, but they are only really necessary in more extreme cases. Not to mention they tear up asphalt and concrete surfaces faster, you pay more for them and typically by the end of winter you're missing a good amount of studs because the centripetal forces of the wheel spinning at higher speeds has thrown them into oblivion.

People are able to operate in winter environments with all season tires. Hell, every rental car/truck I've rented while traveling the globe with athletes as a Freeski coach for the past 10 years has come with all season tires. But usually they will be wise about the time and conditions they go out driving in, be very cautious when driving and leave extra space when following and braking because the all season tire will not bite into the snowy surfaces as well as a true snow tire, or they are spun around in 2' of snow in the median or one the side of the road.

I buy and use dedicated winters because I've spent a lot of time driving in wintery conditions growing up in VT and for work as I mentioned, and the cost vs. benefits equation made sense to me to do so. Not everyone is the same and really it boils down to what do you and your occupants feel most safe with and can I afford it. Storage is an easier problem to figure out, like hskrdu mentioned there are solutions you just have to be creative. Either way, have fun and be safe.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Since you don't want to have two sets of tires due to storage, you should also realize that an all season tire will be a different...
All weather tyres are not the same as all season.

They'll still be a compromise, but nowhere close to the degree of all seasons.

I've driven the previous WRG3 and they're a hell of a tyre.

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
They'll still be a compromise, but nowhere close to the degree of all seasons.
You are absolutely right. Compromise is really the name of the game. I trust Nokian and their products and have been very happy with them in the past and have no doubt they will perform.

The intent of my post was to encourage some realistic thought into the OP's winter driving plans and where and in what conditions they plan to spend most of their time driving. While driving on the plains and in the mountains can both be equally dangerous, when weather moves through the mountains the elevation wrings out extra moisture (like when you wring out a sponge) from the clouds trying to pass over the mountains, making snow events more likely. An individual who is merely transiting from work and back or to the grocery store or other errands during the occasional flurry or after a snow event will have less demand of the tire's true winter capabilities than someone actively seeking mountain passes for skiing/snowboarding/snowshoeing, or because of where they live or work is within those mountain climates where road surface snow and ice are far more common.

I guess when I view it, I spend a lot of my time in the snow and as a result I'd rather have the most appropriate tool for the task at hand. To put it another way, if I were a carpenter building a house I would want to use a table saw or mitre saw rather than a hand saw or skil-saw because the table saw is the better, more precise and efficient tool for the task at hand. If I were only building a a shelf or something smaller and more manageable than the hand saw or soil-saw would be a more appropriate choice. At the end of the day being safe and happy is what's most important and asking opinions to make informed decisions is a great way to get there, regardless of the tire they might choose.