What did you do to your MK7 today?

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
It‘s a receiver tube for a Bosal Euro hitch. Did Discovery get it from a Tesla, which have Bosal hitches? I’ve seen a few for sale posts here and on Vortex. I’ve had Euro hitches for a while, and haven’t really missed a receiver tube.

The biggest negative about a euro hitch is that you can’t adjust the ball height. I don’t miss how loud the tubes are (lots of rattling), and honestly find the European ball accessories better (and surprisingly cheaper-even with shipping) than their US counterparts. Especially bike racks.

If you want a receiver tube, an eco hitch is probably up to the task. The tow hook on an MK7 is built into the bumper bar and not the unibody like on an Mk6, which means the bumper mounts can handle at least the weight of the car, which is more than the rating of the hitch. When I installed my Euro hitch, I removed the factory bumper bar, so I no longer have a tow hook mount. If I need towed,I’ll have to wrap the strap around the ball mount.

Last edited:

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
What is it??
Looks like a receiver hitch for a Euro mount.
It‘s a receiver tube for a Bosal Euro hitch. Did Discovery get it from a Tesla, which have Bosal hitches? I’ve seen a few for sale posts here and on Vortex. I’ve had Euro hitches for a while, and haven’t really missed a receiver tube.

The biggest negative about a euro hitch is that you can’t adjust the ball height. I don’t miss how loud the tubes are (lots of rattling), and honestly find the European ball accessories better (and surprisingly cheaper-even with shipping) than their US counterparts. Especially bike racks.

If you want a receiver tube, an eco hitch is probably up to the task. The tow hook on an MK7 is built into the bumper bar and not the unibody like on an Mk6, which means the bumper mounts can handle at least the weight of the car, which is more than the rating of the hitch. When I installed my Euro hitch, I removed the factory bumper bar, so I no longer have a tow hook mount. If I need towed,I’ll have to wrap the strap around the ball mount.

Yes I got it from Tesla. I wanted a Bosal hitch for the capacity and the no rattle but I also want to be able to use a carrier rack and other.

My goal is to tow my little 1400lbs (dry) Prolite trailer with my GSW DSG.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
You just reminded me. I need to put some duct tape over that ginormous hole in the bottom of my rear bumper to keep crud out. VW has a part in the UK supply chain for a cover (ZGB5G9071568), but they want ~$80 for it. Ergo, duct tape.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I went in for my 20k service yesterday at 19,245 miles yesterday,as I'd be over 20k by next Saturday I'm off. They did the usual stuff-oil,filter,cabin and fuel filter,fluid top offs,etc. I also got a free set of front wiper blades,as they were starting to separate. I emailed the service manager and asked him if they replaced the blades when they prepped the car for sale last May.I mentioned I didn't have problems like this with the blades on my'16Jetta I traded in at 10 months. I said if they weren't changed it would mean the blades are almost 3 years old and reason why they were falling apart... got email next day saying they were not on VW's list for prepping the TDI's for sale again,then said he would put a complimentary pair on at the service:D. I also had them check for the any ad blue error codes since I had that no-start message come up in the below zero weather in January,but fine since. They informed me there were some codes and that they were ordering an ad-blue pump and would let me know when it comes in.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Fit three 8' long 16" wide rips of plywood inside the GSW. Reclined the passenger seat and removed the headrest. A couple of furniture pads to protect the edges and lashed them to the hand hold over the rear passenger door. It was raining and I wanted to get this project done...

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
a teaser

Still needs the firmware for it to work but at least it's a start. Making progress. Fun to install lol.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I backed into it this morning plowing my driveway.:mad:. I had moved it over so I could plow the snow where it was, as I was backing I heard a crunch. The 3 point lift arm caught my plate frame and bent my license plate some, scratch on bumper, don't know what it looks like behind the plate though...

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
initial observations:

install will be a lot easier with a dsg and no clutch pedal

But the can module is pretty much ensconced in a nice little cage so to speak, surrounded by the steering column, brake pedal, and clutch pedal.

you've got to partially remove the lower dash panel just far enough to access the under-dash heater vent. Involves removing the little storage cubby under the headlight switch, to get at the screws there. Small black side panel under dash, the side panel that faces the door to get at a hidden screw, pry the lower dash panel away from the headlight switch and upper panel. I left it in place because I could not figure out how to undo the attaching points to the center console and didn't feel like belaboring that point.

one screw to remove the heater vent. Angle screwdriver. plop out it comes

that gives you enough room to JUST get some fingers on the can module
undo get some long pliers to pry the white plastic wiring harness mount away from the metal under-dash support so you have enough play to maneuver the can module

then wrestling with the can module to try and get it in a place where you can actually get two fingers on the wiring connector.

Very tricky unplugging because it is VERY tight and VERY limited room to grab stuff. I would have woken the neighbors with cursing if they were sleeping lol. fair warning. No idea why those stupid bent bars are everywhere in the way.

I attached all the wiring I could with the modules out of the car before plugging into the car. It is kind of tricky to make sure the connections are secure. It is a very subtle click (I think this is where the anecdotal "dead car" type problems spawn so secure is important.)

There's a handy big ol fat wiring harness near the top of the under-dash cavity to tuck the polar module around.

I get to practice again (yay?) because the alpha firmware update just became available for stability testing. But it won't be so bad now that I've seen it and done it once.

There will probably be a contest to see who can make the best install video to get theirs free. kind of beyond my skill set.

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M

Still needs the firmware for it to work but at least it's a start. Making progress. Fun to install lol.
This will probably become more coveted if states like Oregon start charging road tax by miles driven and require a tracker to be plugged into the OBD2

Biggu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW PANA/ NAV
Finally put on new wheels + took off my snow tires.

Probably next step is coilovers but we will see.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017

Sharp car. I had my 2015 GSW in Columbus in September on the drive to bring it up here from where I bought it in Florida. I'm from Waverly, so stopped to see the fam on the trip. I'm guessing another month and a half on the snows for me yet.

Last edited:

Radial GT

TDI
'13 Jetta TDI Premium DSG
Bought one for DW! Filled up and drove home... Good things to come I'm sure.

My MKIV soldiers on in the background.

What a great driving car!

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm at dealership now having the ad blue pump replaced under warranty- said it should take a couple hours....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm betting that pump failure is a symptom of the cars sitting after buyback. Adblue tends to crystallize and can damage the tank and pump.

Radial GT

TDI
'13 Jetta TDI Premium DSG
First mod, fix the sticking fuel door on it... I fueled it up from the dealer and it would not open. Funny the same thing happened on my 2009 JSW, 6 years later VW still has the same issues, thankfully the same trick of locking/unlocking while pushing on it still works.

Found directions here after extensive googling, http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13569&postcount=16

Solid fix, I shaved the material top and bottom on the fuel door and it finally opens easy.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
First mod, fix the sticking fuel door on it... I fueled it up from the dealer and it would not open. Funny the same thing happened on my 2009 JSW, 6 years later VW still has the same issues, thankfully the same trick of locking/unlocking while pushing on it still works.
Found directions here after extensive googling, http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13569&postcount=16
Solid fix, I shaved the material top and bottom on the fuel door and it finally opens easy.

Our issue on our 2012 Passat wasn't solved by shaving the door, but disconnecting the auto lock latch. Just like the cheap door lock actuators, I'm guessing it got caboned up and couldn't fully unlock.

If it never locks, it'll never leave you stranded.

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
first oil change done

Purchased the 10k oil change kit (w/ Castrol) from IDParts and performed the oil change. Had to borrow some ramps since my previous MKVI didn't need them (extracted the oil + filter access on top).

Also finally plugged in VCDS, and added (1) window up from key fob and (2) disabled seatbelt warning

Next on deck is to top off DEF, rotate wheels, and install LED fog lights