New tdi owner, just saying hi!

flipper88

TDI
2012 Golf
Not new to Volkswagen or diesel's but this is my first diesel Volkswagen! Just picked it up tonight! It's a 2012 6 speed manual with only 15k miles on the clock! One owner until vw bought it back and "fixed it" two months ago, then wholesaled it. It's all mine now and looks and feels like a brand new car! Just wanted to say hello from the PNW.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Hello. Welcome
Just a reminder your due for a timing belt due to age.
Unless recipts are shown of the parts and when it was installed, dont take anyone's word on it. Fluids and timing belt job. Also battery if it's not new.
Great car, great find!

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Based on time alone you do really need to be sure the timing belt is changed even if the other components are not. I think I would try to get the dealer to do this asap! Otherwise, find a local trusted mechanic and have them do it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I agree with oilhammer. Give it a few years.

Welcome! MKVI Golfs are nice. Manual or DSG?

flipper88

TDI
2012 Golf
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I know its a 2012 but the interior and exterior look like a brand new car! I have never had so many options before its kinda overwhelming lol Its a 6 speed manual, and fun to drive! I'm torn between having fun driving it, and driving like an old man to test mpg's. Between bringing it home last night, and driving to work today I have put right around 100 miles on it. The fuel gauge has just started to budge off of the full line, and the computer says I have been averaging 46.3 mpg.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If you are going to drive like an old man, drive like an old man that just downed a prune smoothie and the nearest toilet is 50 miles away. TDIs like to be driven harder than you think, at least some of the time. Keeps the pipes clean, keeps the DPF happy, and keeps everything working as it should.

flipper88

TDI
2012 Golf
If you are going to drive like an old man, drive like an old man that just downed a prune smoothie and the nearest toilet is 50 miles away. TDIs like to be driven harder than you think, at least some of the time. Keeps the pipes clean, keeps the DPF happy, and keeps everything working as it should.
Haha thanks for the Tip! I did make the mistake of misjudging the distance someone was approaching when I was turning and was forced to run through the gears in a hurry. Very impressed with how "peppy" this car is!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
They are extremely "torquey". I remember that's what really sold me on my '11 golf when I took a test drive. Now that you know it can pull down great fuel mileage, I'd just have fun with it.

flipper88

TDI
2012 Golf
They are extremely "torquey". I remember that's what really sold me on my '11 golf when I took a test drive. Now that you know it can pull down great fuel mileage, I'd just have fun with it.
I definitely want to get at least one full tank hand calculated taking it easy before I start to play. But I also want to test a tank from full to empty while driving it hard too and see what the difference is!

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Use caution with the fuel gauge. :) The needle picks up speed the further it drops. :eek:
Actually what happens is the gauge takes a long time to start getting off of F, especially if you have done the ventectomy. Once it does that, then it moves normally throughout.

Jasper J

TDI
2015 Toffee Brown Beetle Convertible 6M
If you are going to drive like an old man, drive like an old man that just downed a prune smoothie and the nearest toilet is 50 miles away...

That’s classic OH!
Gave me a hearty lol [emoji23] from a “semi” old man.
[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I'll second the "drive it hard" on occasion. See if that doesn't actually improve your fuel economy. And I mean once it's fully warm, open road (entrance ramp) run it right close to red line 3-4-5-6.