Loud ticking noise (lifter tick), now car won't start

grtn316

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
OK, so I got this car about 2 weeks ago. When it got here the injection pump timing was off. I reset it and got it back into spec last sunday. Today all a sudden the ticking noise began to get louder and louder as the day went on. A few hours ago, the ticking got REALLY loud, so I hooked up vag-com and found no CEL codes. Checked injector pump timing and it said it was too advanced, so I began to retard it. This time it seemed that adjusting the timing via injection pully was notchy (It was hard to barely move it, more jerky). Anyways, after a few attempts the car stumbled and died. Now it won't start at all. :/ The TB seemed to have a bit of slack in it...not sure if the belt jumped but if someone could tell me where to look for the marks that would be great!

David

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
sure its not a pump tick. These pumps get really noisy when they die. They also jump time.

the engine TDC mark is on the flywheel, underneath a rubber plug on the bell housing. You won't be able to tell if the cam is timed unless you pull the valve cover and insert a cam setting tool. There is no mark on the IP either, just a pin-way in the main hub and pin hole in the pump body. Hard to see but you can see if its lined up or not using a mirror (I prefer "hello kitty" mirrors)

grtn316

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
Just pulled the valve cover. Second lifter to the far left (lifter 2 cylinder 1?) is busted into pieces. I think it was partially broken when it got here because there was a noticeable noice (but thought it was just a reg diesel sound). Today it got louder and finally gave up. So, now what? Could this just be a failed lifter or fatial engine damage? I just bought this car a few weeks ago from a dealer "as-is". The dealer is in California and I'm in Texas. Anyone know what the lemon law is in California?

David

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
As is is as is.

It sounds like what happened to my Beetle. The guy said it was ticking, then it really started ticking, then it was just missing.

What happened was that the cam sprocket wasn't tightened properly (I think) and the cam/rank timing moved, causing the valves to hit the pistons. One of the valves cracked and eventually broke off, causing havoc in the engine.

So basicaly what I'm saying is that you need to pull the head and see how much additional damage there is to the engine.

grtn316

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
whitedog said:
As is is as is.

It sounds like what happened to my Beetle. The guy said it was ticking, then it really started ticking, then it was just missing.

What happened was that the cam sprocket wasn't tightened properly (I think) and the cam/rank timing moved, causing the valves to hit the pistons. One of the valves cracked and eventually broke off, causing havoc in the engine.

So basicaly what I'm saying is that you need to pull the head and see how much additional damage there is to the engine.
So I don't even have 30 days? That sucks...

How much did your repair end up costing you?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
The cylinder bore was damaged so I bought a used engine.

If it's just the head, you can have it refurbished by some folks here.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
You need to at least pull the head and see what went down. I'm betting this engine had a belt break and the dealer just slapped a new belt on and sent it on down the line.

Before taking all of this on your shoulders I would at least give them a shout and let them know what happened. <30 days ought to get you somthing. What did you pay for the car? Did they disclose any previous services performed?

I've got a guy in here in Austin that does good head work. He's done about 3-4 of these heads for me and aNUT (we actually have a spare head on hand right now).

I'll go ahead and volunteer aNUT's services on this job if you want to tow it down here. Its usually $800 labor + parts (another $3-500). Assuming you don't have any pump problems too (QA codes?)

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
Sorry to hear all that. I can`t help you get anything from the seller but I can make your car right. Like Robby said, we have a freshly rebuilt head sitting on the parts shelf so we can make this happen ASAP.

I can probably get it rolling by next weekend. Give me a call or send me an email and and we can knock out the logistics.

Anuthee

grtn316

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
Thanks for the offers guys. I shouldn't have a problem doing this repair myself. I might buy that head off of you though.

Any chance that this is just a failed lifter and didn't cause any further damage? I guess its just odd to me to see only 1 trashed lifter and the car drove fine up to the point that it fell apart.

David