VW Canada Settlement - $2.1 Billion

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
Hey folks I must be one of the very few who leased a newer VW. It's a 2015 Passat Highline. If I look at the table , think utterly was table 5 chart A. It shows a payment of $3,500 if I was to go the " early lease termination option."
Not sure if the folks in the U.S. did better than us when it comes to there early lease terminations, I think it's fair. What I worried about is if there are any surprise charges/fees when handing the car over. I'm way below on predicted mileage and the car is perfect . We'll see I guess...

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
A guy can dream can't he ;)

did you not see '******'s reaction to Dieselgate'? the Americans got what they wanted, a three-row SUV. VW is going to abandon North America (including Canada) and you will NEVER see another new diesel here, especially Amarok. quite dreaming and get back to work... :D

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
With only 32,500 kms on my mint 2013 Jetta Comfortline, I certainly wouldn't take anything unless it is in the upper range of the combined amount.

As for a replacement, a new VW Golf Sport Wagon 5-speed or similar vehicle from another manufacturer.

Unless I can review the Service Bulletin (fix) in detail, I won't be going for it.

Last edited:

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
I received an e-mail from VWoA. they have all the information required, now to determine eligibility.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Hey folks I must be one of the very few who leased a newer VW. It's a 2015 Passat Highline. If I look at the table , think utterly was table 5 chart A. It shows a payment of $3,500 if I was to go the " early lease termination option."
Not sure if the folks in the U.S. did better than us when it comes to there early lease terminations, I think it's fair. What I worried about is if there are any surprise charges/fees when handing the car over. I'm way below on predicted mileage and the car is perfect . We'll see I guess...
You are renting a car that's in good condition, why are you worried?

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Looking at buying an Audi A3 TDi....Hoping if I register it before the January date I'd qualify for the $2600 cash back. :)

Vr535

TDI
Mk6 Jetta
Does anybody on here own US build tdi but lives in Canada? So far I've missed out on gift cards because VW of Canada says to contact VWoA and VWoA says to contact VW of Canada. I don't know were to go from here. Any ideas? I do not want to miss out on the buyback as well. If any of you are in the same situation and know a way around this I would appreciate the help.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Fred (TDIFred) is in the same boat - in Canada, US car. I believe he is using a US address for his correspondence.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
I think I came out good from this as I bought the car in Sept 2013 for $13,850 (exc HST) drove it for just over 3 years and will get $13,169 (exc HST). This excludes the $1K in VW gift cards. My calculations exclude any maintenance e.g. T/Belt, 2 new tires, DSG service and brakes that were replaced.
Wow you did well! Basically drove the car for free for two years, minus maintenance :)

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
Does anybody on here own US build tdi but lives in Canada? So far I've missed out on gift cards because VW of Canada says to contact VWoA and VWoA says to contact VW of Canada. I don't know were to go from here. Any ideas? I do not want to miss out on the buyback as well. If any of you are in the same situation and know a way around this I would appreciate the help.
go to this site and register your VIN. it will ONLY work on the US site.
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/
it will guide you through the steps. you do not need a US address for correspondence. After you do this, photocopy your driver's license and registration and send it with the last page (printed and signed) to the address in Auburn Hills, MI.

too bad about that gift card thing. I told my new neighbour about (her Dad owns an 'affected' vehicle) and scored him a grand.

Vr535

TDI
Mk6 Jetta
go to this site and register your VIN. it will ONLY work on the US site.
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/
it will guide you through the steps. you do not need a US address for correspondence. After you do this, photocopy your driver's license and registration and send it with the last page (printed and signed) to the address in Auburn Hills, MI.
too bad about that gift card thing. I told my new neighbour about (her Dad owns an 'affected' vehicle) and scored him a grand.
Thank you TDIFred, I will try this and hope it works. Have you heard back from VWoA?

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Be lucky you got it, given that you bought the car at a discount because of it. It would be more fair for the previous owner to get all of it actually ;)

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Thank you Dieselgate! Prices have come down enough I was about to purchase a nice 2010 A3 TDI today for a song :)
It really helps the actual diesel enthusiasts...this 'cheating ordeal'

I've been hunting for something good to pickup also

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
Thank you Dieselgate! Prices have come down enough I was about to purchase a nice 2010 A3 TDI today for a song :)
May I pick your brain? Did you buy privately or from a used dealer or VW dealer? I noticed on autotrader some VW/audi dealerships are offering the used ones. Curious to know your thoughts for seeking a 2010 over a 2012 or even a 2015? Was it price point or a specific mileage?

I am trying to form my plan :) No wrong answers just curious if you are willing to share.

Last edited:

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I bought a 2010 privately. Stumbled across the right car for the right price. Previous owner already applied for the money, so I doubt I can get anything. Not really concerned though, the purchase price reflected the rebate already :)

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
i hope the same happens with the 3.0...then vw can buy my 2012 back and i can go get a nice blue 2016 and start the mods lol

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
I bought a 2010 privately. Stumbled across the right car for the right price. Previous owner already applied for the money, so I doubt I can get anything. Not really concerned though, the purchase price reflected the rebate already :)
Thanks. I guess you don't have a current CR to contemplate giving up? Either way I like your plan.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
The "Opt-out and objection deadline" is March 4th.

Well anyone can only choose that option AFTER knowing what their settlement will be, yet the "Settlement approval court hearing (Ontario)" is March 31st.

How does that make sense?????? :rolleyes:

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Buyback OR Trade-In of your vehicle AND Cash Payment

OR

Approved Emissions Modification
. Keep your vehicle AND receive an extended emissions warranty AND Cash Payment. This option is only available if a modification is approved by regulators.

They missed one option.

If VW does not find an "approved modification" and you decide to keep your car because the buy-out is unacceptable, you get zilch...nothing. :mad:

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Buyback OR Trade-In of your vehicle AND Cash Payment

OR

Approved Emissions Modification
. Keep your vehicle AND receive an extended emissions warranty AND Cash Payment. This option is only available if a modification is approved by regulators.

They missed one option.

If VW does not find an "approved modification" and you decide to keep your car because the buy-out is unacceptable, you get zilch...nothing. :mad:
......you still retain your right to sue VW on your own dime :rolleyes:

Marchmen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Well honestly, from a business perspective, I found it silly that VW was offering the buybacks to those that purchased after Sep 18/15. Anyone who bought after, bought at a discount knowing what they were buying. Why should they be compensated? The person who sold them the car should be compensated for the loss on the sale, but that's it. From a business perspective.
I purchased my car less than a week after this mess hit the news and I agree that I did pay less than I would have had to pay prior.

But the value of my car now has been affected as well since September 18th because of decisions VW has made since September 18th. The market for these cars now is virtually non existent which was not the case when I purchased. Not being able to participate in a buyback (even at an amount less than those that owned prior to September 18th) doesn't seem right.

tinnmann

TDI
2000 jetta 2004 jetta wagon
I am in the same position. bought the car at a dealer auction the day before the news broke and transferred it to my name a week later so I don't qualify either so I guess I will be keeping it for now.