New Member, 02 Jetta ALH Auto, new life

RedKaotik

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 1.9T
Hello all,
*TLDR
Car trashed, brought it back from the dead, Frank TDI shout out for the help.
Minor things left to fix, cant find door handles to replace with.
Question: I have 216 nozzles. is there a specific IQ i should be aiming for?
My IP is timed correctly. IQ was set to default and i hammered it to 5.0 to reduce my coal roll on my onramp takeoffs. I mean i like that people would stop tailgating me but at what cost.

I just recently purchased a dying 2002 Jetta 1.9 TDI that has 180k miles.
this little beast cost me about 400 dollars Plus reg and taxes etc 1k.
But I was hoping the issues would be minor and alas they were not.
This baby needed some work and by some I mean a lot....i mean lets just rebuild the whole car while we are at it.
Budget 1k.

I thank all of you for the amount of time you have spent typing out info guides answering newb questions and providing the incredible amount of details through the years about how to fix known issues and some quirky weird ones.
Here is a list of what I had to do.

1. Engine head failure. PSI 200, 200, 180, 0
2.Timing Belt failure.
3.Serpentine Belt failure(hit the timing belt and broke it)
4. EGR clogged.
5. turbo completely bust and oiled. surprised this thing isnt a runaway.
6. Turbo actuator bust, cant hold a vacuum.
7.injector 4 tip damaged.
8. Glow plugs stuck.
9.vacuum hoses rotted.
10. 4 way cooler tube cracked.
11. Pass engine mount 1 bolt stripped aluminium.
12. well you get the idea this thing needs some love, unfortunately I only had 4 weeks to do this so I had to make some calls and start ordering parts right away.

#1 mention, Frank's VW TDI was a big help, the guy is fantastic, knows his stuff and we were able to work together and come up with a plan on fixing my car.
I'd like to mention that my head was trashed, Maybe fixable if the budget wasn't tight but Frank worked with me and I bought a used head from ebay, sent it directly to him and the work done was phenomenal.
The thing looks brand new and the price was right.

I went slightly over budget to make sure mechanically everything is sound.
I'm not a mechanic, I am a engineer but I do believe with the right tools anything can be fixed.
Things left that i need to budget for....
my taxes... forgot about those.
Suspension, looks like its original 2002.
Tires, good thing I live in California and its 70's
Alignment.
Tail lights, I bought some cheapies but I think im going to go with hella.

If you made it through this post, then i thank you for the read.
Pics to follow soon.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
I'm stuck on the 2000-2003 range and yes they are getting hard to find in good shape. it's really sad. I want a golf for my GF really BAD, but in the whole PNW pickings are really slim. Either they're mostly graveyarded by now, or with people who know how to care for them (and have no real reason to let go).
Standing by for pics!

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I'm stuck on the 2000-2003 range and yes they are getting hard to find in good shape. it's really sad. I want a golf for my GF really BAD, but in the whole PNW pickings are really slim. Either they're mostly graveyarded by now, or with people who know how to care for them (and have no real reason to let go).
Standing by for pics!
Ha! I've got THREE Golfs:D OK, the family has FOUR Golfs:p (yes, all ALHs, and all manuals)

I don't know what kind of cash outlay you're looking at for one, but someone in the Seattle area recently sold one for $5k, a 5spd with only about 73k miles. She posted here in the Classifieds section. Car was in fantastic shape. That's was a GREAT deal IMO. Son's car had about 155k miles (Canadian car) and was as pristine as one could fine (single owner); paid about $4,200 USD (went for $5,600 CAD).

My 6spd with 206k miles was a steal ($3k). Needed nothing. It fell into my lap: a friend sold it to me. It's my spare.

Keep in mind, if you get something that needs work you're set to use the parts that YOU want: I have rebuilt cars up around these engines, and all have the desired ride and performance that I wanted. If one buys something that already has newer parts then it's a lot harder to justify replacing: I don't like the Bilstein Sports that are in my spare Golf, but they're good enough as it's just my spare car anyway.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Question: I have 216 nozzles. Is there a specific IQ I should be aiming for?
My IP is timed correctly. IQ was set to default and I hammered it to 5.0 to reduce my coal roll on my onramp takeoffs. I mean I like that people would stop tailgating me but at what cost.
Yes, 5-6 is a safe zone; you could probably get it down to 4-5 zones. Do you have an EGT gauge; you need one if you’re going to mess with lower higher fuel quantity (lower numbers).
When I did my pp.764s, I did like I was told and put it down to 6, drove nice but not that epic, so I said "screw it, I got gauges" and bumped it up to 1.6 and it turned into a rocket and on the first hard pull on a completely stock engine other than a pd 150 intake, EGR delete, and the pp764's I saw temps on the stock turbo of my AHU of 1650*f, YIKES! And it got there in no time at all; the next step for me was the turbo at that point.

This baby needed some work and by some I mean a lot....I mean let’s just rebuild the whole car while we are at it.
Budget 1k.
$1,000? That’s it? HEH good luck with that!

RedKaotik

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 1.9T
Mpg

1,000!

It was actually enough. I had to skimp on some extras like a good radio but all mechanical parts are solid.

My MPG is 25 right now but not sure how accurate that is.
Since last fill I have fixed the IP timing and IQ. Then did the tank vent mod so we will see. I also wasn’t exactly babying it.

0-60 10.4 sec

RedKaotik

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 1.9T
I saw temps on the stock turbo of my AHU of 1650*f, YIKES! And it got there in no time at all; the next step for me was the turbo at that point.
$1,000? That’s it? HEH good luck with that!
That would be one way to blow your turbo seal, wait till you see the pics of my old turbo before I rebuilt it.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
25mpg seems a bit low even for an automatic, what sort of driving are you doing with it?

RedKaotik

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 1.9T
I attributed the bad mpg to having my IP timing retarded(didn’t have VCDS after TB change, fixed now)
And my IQ at 3.0.

I’m now right below the middle blue line and the software says perfect.
IQ at 4.8-5.0

My driving is 60 miles of stop and go freeway traffic during the day, work there and back.
A bunch of random freeway spurts at 70+

Also test driving where I was gunning the car with the gas pedal floored, that was at least 10 times before this fuel up.

Im hoping this next fillup will be more accurate since I finally was able to fill the diesel to the top of the tank port.

Diesel-Dan1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Hello all,
*TLDR
Car trashed, brought it back from the dead, Frank TDI shout out for the help.
Minor things left to fix, cant find door handles to replace with.
Question: I have 216 nozzles. is there a specific IQ i should be aiming for?
My IP is timed correctly. IQ was set to default and i hammered it to 5.0 to reduce my coal roll on my onramp takeoffs. I mean i like that people would stop tailgating me but at what cost.

I just recently purchased a dying 2002 Jetta 1.9 TDI that has 180k miles.
this little beast cost me about 400 dollars Plus reg and taxes etc 1k.
But I was hoping the issues would be minor and alas they were not.
This baby needed some work and by some I mean a lot....i mean lets just rebuild the whole car while we are at it.
Budget 1k.

I thank all of you for the amount of time you have spent typing out info guides answering newb questions and providing the incredible amount of details through the years about how to fix known issues and some quirky weird ones.
Here is a list of what I had to do.

1. Engine head failure. PSI 200, 200, 180, 0
2.Timing Belt failure.
3.Serpentine Belt failure(hit the timing belt and broke it)
4. EGR clogged.
5. turbo completely bust and oiled. surprised this thing isnt a runaway.
6. Turbo actuator bust, cant hold a vacuum.
7.injector 4 tip damaged.
8. Glow plugs stuck.
9.vacuum hoses rotted.
10. 4 way cooler tube cracked.
11. Pass engine mount 1 bolt stripped aluminium.
12. well you get the idea this thing needs some love, unfortunately I only had 4 weeks to do this so I had to make some calls and start ordering parts right away.

#1 mention, Frank's VW TDI was a big help, the guy is fantastic, knows his stuff and we were able to work together and come up with a plan on fixing my car.
I'd like to mention that my head was trashed, Maybe fixable if the budget wasn't tight but Frank worked with me and I bought a used head from ebay, sent it directly to him and the work done was phenomenal.
The thing looks brand new and the price was right.

I went slightly over budget to make sure mechanically everything is sound.
I'm not a mechanic, I am a engineer but I do believe with the right tools anything can be fixed.
Things left that i need to budget for....
my taxes... forgot about those.
Suspension, looks like its original 2002.
Tires, good thing I live in California and its 70's
Alignment.
Tail lights, I bought some cheapies but I think im going to go with hella.

If you made it through this post, then i thank you for the read.
Pics to follow soon.
Got a wrecked 02 sitting in the driveway less engine and some interior stuff. If you are looking for something let me know. It was a fnt ender. I took the engine and trans out. Used the trans for my 5 speed swap on my other car. Wasn't bad at all. Highly recommend.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Wait until that horrible transmission takes its final breath of air and you pump another couple grand into it.