Just got duked by vw

silvrmax04

TDI
2012, 2015 Passat TDI SE
So I put in my claim for reimbursment in the adblu heater extended warranty claim and was denied. Like many others I got the check engine light and it was the code for the ad blu heater. Bought the parts and did it myself to save some cash. Then I get a letter about reimbursement. Sweet. Mailed in my form and receipts. This was all last year. Just got a letter saying I need to submit paperwork with mileage saying it needed replacement. I called them to discuss and nothing they can do. It's BS. They just made my decision for me. I will be turning it in and running. All I asked for is the parts. No labor. I saved money. So do they. What's the problem. Like I woke up one day and said I think I will spend $500 and replace an adblu heater today. Has anyone else that did it themselves have better luck.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Wouldn't the extended warranty cover it if you had taken it to the dealer? If it's warrantied then it's up to them to fix.

silvrmax04

TDI
2012, 2015 Passat TDI SE
I fixed it myself before they decided to extend the warranty on it.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I'm battling a similar battle with my 2011 Dodge ram's O2 sensor harness, the original was made with 24 gauge wire (save money) and the computer was tuned for 18 gauge wire and the increased resistance triggers the check engine light for sensor range out spec, a new $900.00 18 gauge harness and I'm all fixed up except they decided to launch a campaign covering all costs of it a few years later- super upsetting to say the least!

Last edited:

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Scanned for a recent check engine light and came back with a short to ground on the heater for the tank. Will plan to visit the dealer this weekend do a scan and let them tell me what they found. 60X miles on a 2013.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
On warranty items go to the dealer,period. VW doesn't care about saving money, they just do what they have to do,and the ad blue system stinks and they have a huge number of claims,so they made it a covered item. I would doubt any TREGS have not had an issue.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Call up customer service and plead again and again.

I'm not saying its right for VWoA, but I think if you had a formal receipt/work order from an indy shop that replaced it you prob wouldn't have had any issues.

Did you provide any fault code read outs with your submitted claim that stated the mileage?

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
The reimbursement paperwork states that the work has to be done by a shop. I changed it on the Passat we had and lost out on the money too. I should have removed it and sold it before selling the car back.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
So all you probably needed was an invoice by "shade tree mcjoe" and you prob would have been fine.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
In order to get repair reimbursement, you need receipts. You know that the part failed, but they dont know....however, they will take the word of a professional that you got a receipt from if you had the job professionally done. Your best recourse is to produce a receipt from a shop or dealer with a diagnosis of a bad adblue heater and associated service codes. Then you can send that in with your parts receipt and be reimbursed.