MAP sensor replacement

peytah

TDI
2010 JSW TDI, 6 sp manual, Pano roof, lifted
Quick question: does anyone have tips on how to replace the MAP sensor? It's in a tight spot.

Longer story:
2010 JSW TDI Sportwagen. Getting P0111 and P026A codes that I clear, then they come back within about 20-30 miles. Always come back on same stretch of my commute, downhill 60mph highway, 6th gear, light to no throttle. Seems to run fine, but I'm planning to take it on a 2500 mile road trip for its last hurrah before sell back and would rather do it without a MIL.

I have a new sensor and am trying to install, but can't figure out how to. It is mounted on a hard plastic pipe coming out of the intercooler, but the sensor is in a tough spot right next to and below the alternator. I can barely get my fingers in there to touch the sensor, much less get a hex key (Torx?) on it. Do I have to remove the whole pipe out the bottom first? Bottom hose clamp is easy, top hose clamp is accessible, but little harder to get a hand around. Then there is a finger on the hard pipe that mounts next to the accessory belt with a T30. I loosened up this T30 (captured fastener it seems) and undid both clamps, but this finger won't let go. Any tips appreciated.

Codes if you're curious. Don't mind the 2012 date. Actually pulled a couple days ago.
2 Faults Found:
000273 - Intake Air Temp. Sensor (G42)
P0111 - 000 - Implausible Signal
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 184857 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2012.11.07
Time: 20:22:17

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: -90.0°C
Temperature: 20.7°C
Temperature: 18.9°C
Temperature: 18.9°C
Temperature: 52.2°C

000618 - Charge Air Cooler
P026A - 000 - Efficiency Below Threshold - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 184868 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2012.11.07
Time: 20:30:31

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1771 /min
Speed: 104.0 km/h
Temperature: 56.7°C
Temperature: 20.7°C
(no units): 137.7
Temperature: 78.0°C
(no units): 40.0

Last edited:

peytah

TDI
I tried again over the weekend to get at this sensor, but no dice. Removed the hose clamps from top and bottom, and I was able to get the finger loose. Bottom hose pops off easily enough, but top one doesn't have enough room for me to get my hand around it. Can't get it off and drop the pipe.

Cleared faults, but MIL came back after about 20 miles. No performance difference that I can note, no black exhaust. What do you think? Safe to take on a road trip? Or asking for trouble?

peytah

TDI
I'm familiar with youtube. The video you found is for the MAF, not the MAP. Look at dipstick handle, MAP sensor is 6" below it.

peytah

TDI
I found this thread last night. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=487604 Confirms my thoughts about how to do it.

Too late at this point, as I'm leaving for the road trip early tomorrow morning and won't have time to swap the sensor. I did some live monitoring of the boost pressure yesterday using VCDS and the sensor seems to be working. Don't know what's causing the P026A and P0111 faults. Air inlet temp also looks normal.

Wish me luck and no black smoke.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I found this thread last night. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=487604 Confirms my thoughts about how to do it.

Too late at this point, as I'm leaving for the road trip early tomorrow morning and won't have time to swap the sensor. I did some live monitoring of the boost pressure yesterday using VCDS and the sensor seems to be working. Don't know what's causing the P026A and P0111 faults. Air inlet temp also looks normal.

Wish me luck and no black smoke.
Good luck. I have a cable clamp removal tool so all you need to do is position it and pump the hand and off comes the clamp. The one on the intercooler probably would be helped by this.

peytah

TDI
Road trip complete and the car didn't have a hiccup. ~40 mpg overall with lots of high speeds, A/C, mountains, full car, bikes on top for some of it.

I'm assuming that the sensor is faulting intermittently, but operating normally 99.9% of the time.