2000 jetta starts and then promptly dies

jamesdio

TDI
2000 jetta
Lets start in the beginning. I was tinkering. I had a glow plug code come up. I've been testing the resistance(0.9 on all 4)& replaced the fuses. I filled up today at my regular station, and noticed some irregular idling. Didn't think much of it, and it ran fine on the 40 mile trip home. Tonight, I took out the battery to replace a headlight. Now, the glow plug indicator does not come on prestart. The engines starts right up, but then dies. Easy to restart, but doesn't run. I live in texas, where its always warm. ran out of daylight tonight. any help will be appreciated. thanks jd

jamesdio

TDI
2000 jetta
actually tried that. no deal. I don't understand why the glow plug light won't come on pre start: you know the light with the little car and key. It just won't stay running. Is there a fuel shut off somewhere, that i haven't heard about. thanks jd

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
The light with the Car and the Key is your Immobilizer icon. The glow plugs are on the Tach side and is just a curly-cue/loops horizontally. It hasn't gotten cold enough for the GPs to be an issue here in Texas yet. If you want to fool them into staying on, you can disconnect the coolant temperature sensor.

Where abouts in this 2nd largest state in the union are you? Let's find someone w/ VAG-COM near you.

jamesdio

TDI
2000 jetta
I'm outside Austin, southeast. So the immobilizer icon won't come on, thanks for the correction. I have not tried my other key: I have read in other posts that it may make a difference for reasons I'm too dense to understand. thx, jd

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
I wish I could find some truly authoritative info on keys, Immobs and ...

I have heard (read, actually) that a key that your car is programmed to accept will stop working if left immobile for a few months. Someone suggested taking them out and shaking them to recharge the Immob chip battery...

I have 3 keys programmed for the car. I guess I will cycle through them every 2 weeks or so to make sure I don't let one fade out and have to pay another $50 to have them programmed.

Definitely try the other key. Somehow, in this wild and wooley world of VW keys, one may have flaked out.

The Immob icon should light up when you move the key to the "On" position. After the ~2 second systems check where most/all of the display icons are lit, it should go off. If it is not lighting at all, you may have burned up an LED. If it is lighting and going off after 2 sec. it is accepting your key.
However, if you vehicle is starting and dying, and it is Immob related, this icon should be flashing immediately after the 2 second "everything on" stage and until you cycle the key back to the "Off" position. Of course if it never lights and the LED died this line of inquiry is going to be hard to follow...

Another thing that can cause the instant stall is a stuck anti-shudder valve cutting off the air. The theory goes that while the car is off the 2 sides of the valve, not having a perfect seal, equilibrate, letting some air in. This air is just enough to start the engine, but then the engine is immediatly starved for air and dies.

Check here for anti shudder:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=1214327

Last edited:

jamesdio

TDI
2000 jetta
I've read about a possible fuel shut off in some posts. Is there any truth to it. Also, no immibilizer icon. The car cranks, but shuts off quickly. I can give it some gas, but it doesn't seem to be get there. Niether key works, is there a fuse for the immobilizer. Anti shutter valve seems to be ok. I just have the feeling it is something simple that i'm missing. I kind of miss my toyota right now, I'm stuck driving an old pick up, and miss the mileage. jd

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
no glow plug light = no ECU power = relay 109 gone bad = no start/no run.

The immobilizer is in the instrument cluster. I forget which is the cluster fuse....

Last edited: