Saw transport truck of older TDIs

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I was at the Hwy 28 exit by Interstate 43 today and I saw a transport truck full of buyback TDI vehicles. Sportwagens, a Passat. I got close enough and saw the TDI emblems on the vehicles. Sorry no pix as I was driving.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
I saw a truck load myself today heading north of Cincinnati on I71N. Not sure where they are going. All of them were TDI's (Jetta, JSW, Passat). All had a big read X on the window with a red circle around the X.

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I did not know in the east coast of canadav the plates stay with the car .. Here in BC you have to take them off.. Anyways what a shame to see them not being driven

pro51492

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen TDI 6sp
I know MN cars keep there plates also. Just went by VW last week and checked out the lot they rented next door to the dealer filled with buybacks.

sperryrand

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg 0
I saw a load last week too, heading south on I41 north of Milwaukee. Most of the cars looked like they were from the Green Bay VW dealer. Looked like there was a new and unused Golf Sportwagon SEL in front.

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
What will happen to these "buy-back" vehicles?

Will VW retrofit then re-sell them, or are they headed to the crusher?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Stored until VW figures out what to do with them.

The better ones may be fixed and re-sold. The rest will be compacted.

It blows my mind that VW isn't doing an initial cull right at the dealer that's buying them back. The really hi-milers, the really old ones, those with non-trivial body or interior damage, the non-trivially modified ones, and the ones where the instrument panel is lit up with warning lamps are never going to be worthwhile to fix, and it would be better for them to cut their losses than pay to transport and store those.

pro51492

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen TDI 6sp
Stored until VW figures out what to do with them.

The better ones may be fixed and re-sold. The rest will be compacted.

It blows my mind that VW isn't doing an initial cull right at the dealer that's buying them back. The really hi-milers, the really old ones, those with non-trivial body or interior damage, the non-trivially modified ones, and the ones where the instrument panel is lit up with warning lamps are never going to be worthwhile to fix, and it would be better for them to cut their losses than pay to transport and store those.
Exactly, I can see them fixing cars with less than 75k but anymore and it's really not worth while.

Seikoguy

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen - Gone!
When I turned in my 2010 TDI Sportwagen last month, I was so anal-retentive that I even washed and waxed it before I turned it in. The lady processing the buyback at the dealer told me, "You really didn't have to do that you know." I said, "I know, but I just couldn't help it." Heck, it was the cleanest VW on the lot, and that includes the dealer's new cars!