glow plug for coolant heating

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
There are supposed to be 3 glow plugs for coolant heating. I have searched in the repair manuals and haven't found anything relating to the location of these. I have a 1997 Passat and if someone knows where they are located I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
Mark

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself

Just to the rear of the valve cover you can see the three connectors going down to them.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Looks like an A4 to me. I can't find anything in my Bentleys concerning the "coolant gps". I haven't seen anything in my engine compartment either. I'm also curious.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like an A4 to me. I can't find anything in my Bentleys concerning the "coolant gps". I haven't seen anything in my engine compartment either. I'm also curious.
A4, B3, C9, D432... I dunno. That's where they are located on other cars. Good luck.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I remember the A3/B4 guys had posted about them... but I can't find any pics of them on the pics server

-J

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
The coolant glow plugs on the A3/B4 TDIs are in an aluminum manifold on the back of the head facing the firewall. This is the same area as the A4 TDIs. They are hard to see because the intercooler plumbing is in the way.

The relay and fusible link for the coolant glow plugs are on the firewall next to the N-75 solenoid switchover valve. There is a clear plastic cover over the fusible link.

TDIBill

Veteran Member
TDI
97Passat, 96 Passat Variant
The coolant glow plugs are on the driver's end of the head just below the vacum pump location on an A4 motor.

TDIBill

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
The coolant glow plugs are on the driver's end of the head just below the vacum pump location on an A4 motor.

TDIBill

...IF you happen to have manual transmission. The automatics do not have coolant glow plugs.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Nice Photo. I am looking for the engine coolant temp sensor that might trigger a CEL code P0118 for Circuit High Input. It appears to be one of the two (of three) devices with plugs on them that are shown just below and to the left of #4 attached to the engine where the heater and radiator hoses attach. Is that correct, and if correct do you know which one.

Both of the ones toward the camera have checked out OK based on resistance readings at two different temperatures. Do you know if these three devices are not connected with a four prong connector in later cars (mine is a 2002 NB)?

Thanks anyone???

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
those three are the coolant glowplugs. the temp sensor may be in that same housing, just pointed to the rear of the car.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
Found them on the drivers side of the head, clustered aroung where a coolant hose goes into the side of the head.

Tbanks every one,
Mark

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Are your coolant plugs bad? Do these things actually wear out?

-J
Yes the do wear out but it's real uncommon. I have replaced ONE single plug in a couple of years on all the TDI's I see.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
Found that they wern't bad. I removed the wires and cleaned the contacts and terminals, this seemed to fix my engine code issue.