tdi dakota conversion

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
1z mtdi dakota, alh jetta ute
so im in the process of converting my dakota to a tdi. first removed the tdi and wiring from the car the old turbo next to the new turbo the adapter form coty build the truck its going in heres the first test run to make sure all the wiring was set up right https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIJ9xkGtvLA then after the new turbo,timing belt, cleaned out the nasty intake, and misc stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNfnd0_8wfk now its ready for the dakota, soon the dakota will get torn down

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
That looks like a pretty cool idea.

But... Isn't a 4,900 lb truck going to overwhelm your 1z? Even with lots of mods seems like it'll struggle for power. The 5 speed manual gear ratios look like a good fit!

Andrew

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3

But... Isn't a 4,900 lb truck going to overwhelm your 1z? Even with lots of mods seems like it'll struggle for power. The 5 speed manual gear ratios look like a good fit!

Andrew
That might be a little bit high for a Dakota, I was thinking they were closer to two ton or just a shade over that.

That said it'll certainly be plenty for the engine to handle but with proper tuning it would probably do ok.

I had plans years ago to transplant a Peugeot 2.3L TD into a Dakota but only the earlier boxy 2wd long bed model. That engine only produced 80hp but I thought it would be fun any way.

Steve

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI

Andrew
it weighs 4100 lbs on the scale and with my passat and a trailer had more weight than that between the car and trailer and it pulled just like there was no trailer behind it. I think it will do just fine with all my mods, ill see im trying for a mpg build. after mods it should be 180hp and close to 300 flbs torque.

Last edited:

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
so my nv3550 showed up. had to notch the adapter for the vacuum pump

its all together sitting in just need to make my mounts and hook stuff up

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
so the mounts are done, just wiring and misc stuff left, also has anyone done a a/c bracket by the exhaust I'm trying to think of ways to mount it and i have no room on the bottom.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Wow! Pretty cool project. I'm looking forward to finding out how this all turns out. :cool:

Friendly Tex

TDI
Previously 97 Jetta, 2005 B5
Is this a 4X4? Curious how drivable and the economy when done. I have the 02 Quad 4X4 and bought it for this mod. Please let us know your impressions with and without mods if you phase them in.

Thanks

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
Is this a 4X4? Curious how drivable and the economy when done. I have the 02 Quad 4X4 and bought it for this mod. Please let us know your impressions with and without mods if you phase them in.

Thanks
yes it is 4wd, its going to be my off road and good mileage truck. I'm going for my version of the amarok lol

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
finished a ton of stuff the past few days, its almost finished

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
good progress

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice! How's it drive?
its not quite done yet my plan to use the vw airbox didnt work so im waiting on an air filter and i still have a few little thing to finish before i can drive it.

chucky2

TDI
Ford Ranger FX4 Level II
Ahh OK. Will be interesting to see what kind of highway mpg you get in something like that. I've got a supercab (which isn't as big as your 4 door) ranger, 4x4, w/ 31's and a 4.10 rear. I'm interested to see how a 4x4 truck that's probably as heavy, or heavier, than mine does on the mpg on the highway.

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
so it runs and drives good for the little bit that i have driven it.(waiting on the air filter so i dont want to drive it much, but i just got a 01242 code so i think my ecu is toast. Im also talking to malone to see what tune they recommend for it. does anyone know where the best place to buy a GQ, FA or JB ecu is? Thanks

Last edited:

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
Did I see your video posted by Coty Built on Facebook?
yes you did Ive been talking to the owner about it and he wanted to feature it. it still needs some work to get it where i want it to be but its all together but the air filter now

Last edited:

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
so today i pulled the injectors a found out there stock DSLA 150P 442, so with those and the gt1749 and limp mode as far as Ive driven it its not to bad a little weak to get going from a stop other than that it has decent power, but i cant wait till it gets the new ecu, tune and new injectors.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
so today i pulled the injectors a found out there stock DSLA 150P 442, so with those and the gt1749 and limp mode as far as Ive driven it its not to bad a little weak to get going from a stop other than that it has decent power, but i cant wait till it gets the new ecu, tune and new injectors.
what gearing are you running ?... i finally swapped my tacoma from 3.59's to 4.10's with 265 tires and it's just about perfect now .... takes off much better

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
what gearing are you running ?... i finally swapped my tacoma from 3.59's to 4.10's with 265 tires and it's just about perfect now .... takes off much better
im running the stock 3.55s and the take of isnt the greatest cause my ecus bad and running in limp mode so im probably running about 60hp lol

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Are you running the stock Dakota transfer case? NV3550? That's a manual? What did you do to adapt it to the ALH? Frans was talking about some tdi adapters but didn't think he was there yet. I'm still not gonna rule out a TDI in my F150 especially if yours works out. My truck is only 1000 lbs heavier so a BHW or an inline 5 cylinder tdi might work. Looks like a 1z for your swap, huh?

Last edited:

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you running the stock Dakota transfer case? NV3550? That's a manual? What did you do to adapt it to the ALH? Frans was talking about some tdi adapters but didn't think he was there yet. I'm still not gonna rule out a TDI in my F150 especially if yours works out. My truck is only 1000 lbs heavier so a BHW or an inline 5 cylinder tdi might work. Looks like a 1z for your swap, huh?
lets see i have pics and listed everything, but yes im using the stock dakota transfer case, yes its a 5 speed manual a nv3550, used the coty hpa jeep adapter and i used a 1z not an alh, I probably the only one that likes the 1z and ahu better. at the moment its like driving my old chevy s10 with the 2.2l lol, but soon I'll receive the new ecu, injectors, and then get a tune, and it should be sweet.

Last edited:

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
just received the new ecu now i just need to get it tuned, sweet.