Hit in the grill. Need to fix it.

SpeedFreek

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 New Jetta
So I get out of work and notice my grill is all messed up on my 2005 Jetta. The bumper is cracked and there is a large piece of the lower center grill missing along with a piece of the lower grill on the passenger side. I managed to make it look acceptable for now by pushing pieces back where they belong but will need to replace the front bumper and the grill below the liscence plate and passenger headlight along with the trim pieces that hold it in place.

Now I DO NOT want to make a insurance claim as my rates are sky high already (try being 19, male, and driving an expensive car) and my deductible is higher than what it will probably cost to fix it.

So I will be doing the work minus any paint myself and am hoping for pointers and places to find the replacement parts needed. The dammage appears to be vandalisim but for all I know it was a hit and run and the lack of security cameras in the parking lot there make me interested in a nice alarm system as well.

I could post pictures if anyone requests and I just might anyway when I get a camera handy, any questions about it I will be glad to answer and any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: An aftermarket front end, though I doubt anyone makes it, wouldnt be out of the question. Being 19 and accused of driving a family car hurts. :D

Last edited:

Jason D

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Graphite Blue 5 speed
Is the absorber damaged behind the front cover? And in this sentence, "the grill below the liscence plate and passenger headlight along with the trim pieces that hold it in place" did you mean the grill below the psg headlight or that that headlamp was also damaged?

I can give you the part prices but you can probably do better online or haggling with the dealer. If it is a family owned dealer with different locations and brands, try calling the dealership and saying you are a porter or detailer at dealer x and can they hook you up on parts. The parts guys don't care enough to check and will sell it to you at list most of the time.

Jason D

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Graphite Blue 5 speed
OEM cover is $316.33, lower center grille $41.65, lower psg grille $30.87 rt grille moulding $46.52.

You can get a reconditioned bumper cover for about $245 and if the absorber is damaged to the point you want to replace it, $94.10.

That really sucks and it was likely a hit and run, such as someone backing into the car w/ a trailer hitch.

SpeedFreek

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 New Jetta
Jason D said:
I can give you the part prices but you can probably do better online or haggling with the dealer. If it is a family owned dealer with different locations and brands, try calling the dealership and saying you are a porter or detailer at dealer x and can they hook you up on parts. The parts guys don't care enough to check and will sell it to you at list most of the time.
So how would I pull this off if I were going to do it, and if they did ask for credentials?

Jason D

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Graphite Blue 5 speed
Whenever I ordered parts from the Ford dealer for my Mustang, I'd say that I work at the BMW dealer and they'd hook me up w/ list price on everything. They never asked for any proof or anything like that.