New custom boost gauge

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
The Doniol gauge is basically unobtanium, no longer being fabricated and those that have them are not putting them up for sale very often.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
bump to stir the pot somemore.

Don't have the gauge in front of me, anyone have measurements? Want to see how it fits in a pod, or if I can somehow fit it into my cluster.

wolfman79

TDI
2002 Jetta
Does anybody have an email address for Doniol? I've tried PMing him with no response. I have the skills and equipment to easily build these if he wants to share his PCB layout and programming with me...probably a long shot though.

smiley125

TDI
none
boost guage

I found this post a while ago when looking for a gauge for my 1.8t golf and decided that this was exactally what i wanted but alas they were only for tdis and had stopped production.
but whilst browsing uk-mkivs.net one day i came across the answer.

I know somebody in the uk that makes very similar gauges but will make them to incorporate anything that you want and will do them in different styles..
he is in the process of producing mine at the moment,
check him out on you tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/zadatech
if you pm him on there tell him Rob sent you, he will get back to you.

navyboy65

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Silver
I have a verzion 2 of Doniol gauges and I just started to have a problem with it. The EGT seems to be inaccurate, meaning that I'll have the throttle down and usually on a section of road would be about 300f but now it would read 250-260f but as soon as I take my foot off the throttle it will shoot up to 300f?
Last night I noticed for the first time when I keyed on the car the guage didn't turn on, that is it is - intermittant? Sometimes it works (turns on) other times inititally it will work then turn off or work untill I turn on the headlights???
Anyways I was just wondering if anyone else have had this, and what was the cause (failure or wiring issue(loose)). Just trying to avoid searching in the blind for the cause?
I'll be pm-ing Doniol too?

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
I too had some flakey EGR readings before I took the Donoil gauge out. I then hooked the probe to a VDO gauge and had no issues with it.

navyboy65

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Silver
My EGT went back to wrking normal with out me doing anything, however it came back a few months ago. I finally got around to messing with it as those of you who have one all the wiring connections are tucked up deep in the dash. Without pulling the cluster I reached up inthere and pulled on the egt wires and they were on tight. I did check the sensor and not sure if it was good or not but I replaced it. It is working fine now. Still not sure if I have a loose connection(crimp connectors under the dash just before it goes into the board) or the sensor/sender was bad?
Anyways doesn't appear that it was the guauge that was the problem. I just wish the board and such were not so far up there!

1.9 TDI Awd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI Golf 5spd
Wish i was waiting for mine to arrive in the mail. to bad it took me 2 years to get my TDI. and now these are unobtainable as stated above!

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Unfortunate that there is no way to have more made. It really is one of the most seemless mods I've ever installed in a car.

zada-tech

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Hi everyone,

I've been watching this thread for a while now.

We can produce these with our own design of course, and with a group buy we can give good discounts.

Here is how we've made one look like on an LCD which will go in an air vent:

Also a clip when tested on the bench:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvZ3dcys7VE

We can do these in 1.5" OLEDs too.

Matin.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Yes,
The 1.5" OLED will fit in the middle of the cluster nicely. Do you mean out of he cluster or inside of the cluster though?
Matin.
it would be ideal if it could fit where the original fit, so inside the cluster.

Any ball park idea on the cost involved? And could you make 1 that went 0-35psi?

zada-tech

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
it would be ideal if it could fit where the original fit, so inside the cluster.
Any ball park idea on the cost involved? And could you make 1 that went 0-35psi?
Inside the cluster was my thought too as it will be a nicer and OEM fit.

Yes we have just finished designing the interface that goes from 0-40 PSI for diesel cars. What you see in the photos is for a petrol car with vacuum.

In terms of costs, the 1.5" OLED boost gauge kits are £190. This includes the controller box, the screen and the sensor.

If you want EGT also, it will be an extra £45.

We're based in the UK.

Matin.

zada-tech

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
We'll have to wait till tomorrow or the day after till we finish it completely and produce a video clip.

However a photo of it looks like this with numbers for the EGT written in just for you guys to see.

Matin.

JC_1992

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, 2001 Jetta GLS
Would there be options to have boost only go to 30psi?
What type of thermocouple would be used for the EGT measurement?
Is the screen background color adjustable or can you make it match the indigo and red theme of the MKIV and MKV's?

P.S. maybe start your own thread and it will be easier to keep track so people aren't asking the same questions and what not

zada-tech

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Would there be options to have boost only go to 30psi?
What type of thermocouple would be used for the EGT measurement?
Is the screen background color adjustable or can you make it match the indigo and red theme of the MKIV and MKV's?

P.S. maybe start your own thread and it will be easier to keep track so people aren't asking the same questions and what not
Yes we can do it so it goes only to 30PSI. We'd rather have a standard design for everyone though.

This is the thermocouple we use: http://www.zada-tech.com/product/accessories/egt-thermocouple-probe-sensor

Background colour is not adjustable, but we can do almost any design. Reason why we've that design, coz we wanted it to be modern.

Maybe one of you guys should start a thread, as in the past we've had issues with opening a thread like that, and the moderators blocking them as they took it as product promotion to start with.

Matin.