European Jetta to US in 2014?

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
European prices are *all* higher than North American prices even if you account for the VAT. And it's not just VW, either.
I agree on this, but the OP stated that this would be a 2014 model, automotive prices go up not down on most models that top the previous generation. For the USA the only comparison would be a 2010 loaded TDI or GLI, as the 2011 has gone the opposite way to compete in the US market.

BarrieCommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
the hands that build german made VWs cost more than the hands that build mexican made VWs. factor that in too.

even if VW brings up the spec to european levels, it likely will still be mexican hands that build the 2014 Jetta. you simply cannot compare markets.

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
the hands that build german made VWs cost more than the hands that build mexican made VWs. factor that in too.

even if VW brings up the spec to european levels, it likely will still be mexican hands that build the 2014 Jetta. you simply cannot compare markets.
Super good point, I did not even think of this. Isnt this the reason the current gen Golf cost more then the current gen Jetta? Because the Golf is still made in Germany?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
GoFaster said:
European prices are *all* higher than North American prices even if you account for the VAT. And it's not just VW, either.
I agree on this, but the OP stated that this would be a 2014 model, automotive prices go up not down on most models that top the previous generation. For the USA the only comparison would be a 2010 loaded TDI or GLI, as the 2011 has gone the opposite way to compete in the US market.
Regardless of what NA model you are comparing, you can't simply convert EU VW pricing to NA pricing. It's nice to know that you're aware of this now but you weren't in post #5. :rolleyes:
last time I checked a euro spec 2.0 JTDI DSG Highline started at 29,000 EUR or 40,000 USD.

diesel313

TDI
shortly
You cant compare a german VW to a honda or toyota or hyundai. OK yes i have been driving a lexus for the pat 5 years and they are reliable as hell, but everytime i get into one of my friends german made cars, i think of selling my GS300 for a german car.

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
Regardless of what NA model you are comparing, you can't simply convert EU VW pricing to NA pricing. It's nice to know that you're aware of this now but you weren't in post #5. :rolleyes:
um ok? As an easy comparison what model does the NA Jetta sportswagen TDI compare with equally equipped EUR Golf Variant TDI?

-EUR Golf Variant "Comfortline" 2.0 TDI / DSG starts at: 28.400,00 €

-EUR Golf Variant "Highline" 2.0 TDI / DSG starts at: 30.050,00 €

-EUR Golf Variant "Exclusive" 2.0 TDI / DSG starts at: 32.775,00 €

-EUR Golf Variant "Style" 2.0 TDI / DSG starts at: 28.725,00 €

-EUR Golf Variant "Exclusive" 2.0 TDI / DSG starts at: 32.775,00 €

-NA Jetta SportWagen "Premium Package" 2.0 TDI / DSG is at: $29,150 +TTL

or is there even a comparable model?

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Euro Jetta in USA by 2014?

Who knows, but here's the story...

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/27/rumormill-european-volkswagen-jetta-could-come-to-the-u-s-in-2/

Rumormill: European Volkswagen Jetta could come to the U.S. in 2014

The 2011 Volkswagen Jetta that we get in the United States is a different animal than the one enjoyed throughout Europe. European Jettas are fitted with a multi-link rear suspension setup, upgraded wiring harness to handle more complex optional features and more upscale interior materials. Why don't we get these things? The main answer is cost.

A base Jetta in Germany would cost about $24,000 in the United States, and that is before any taxes are added. That base Jetta also features a less powerful 105-horsepower engine. That is a hefty leap over the North American Jetta's base of $15,995. However, if the new VW Jetta sells well in the States, there is a chance we could start to see some features that the European customers enjoy.

Strong sales would show that the Jetta is in high demand, meaning Volkswagen could realistically introduce the upgraded European features by way of a mid-model change, perhaps by 2014. Will it happen? Somehow, we tend to doubt it... but a lot can happen in three years.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Exactly.

A Chrysler Voyager minivan has a starting price of over $43K in Europe, and it's even built here.

Prices are not directly comparable.

Dieselfitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI with DSG
:eek:

Exactly, 26k bucks for a beautiful car, with keyless entry, push start, navigation, sunroof, 42 miles per gallon:eek:. Who gives a crap about plastic dash and independent rear suspension, i dont have that in my mustang and i could care less. You cant buy a ford fusion v6 with cloth for 26k. A Chevy Cruze which i just test drove just for the hell of it is 25k dollars, and i wanted to crash it head on into a wall after driving it.
That would be 'Cruze 'n for a BRUESE 'N'

If you look a the price of a car in Europe in Euros, or any other European Currency and convert that to US$ it comes out higher than what it costs here.

eg. My cousin was visiting us here in Canada in 1993 when my sister wanted to go look at a Brand New Ford Tempo at a Ford Dealership. The Ford Tempo was $10,500 CDN. My Cousin said that a Similar sized Ford in UK would be about 10,000 Pounds Sterling. At that time 10,000 Pounds was about $19,000 CDN! My cousin sat there in DISBELIEF as the Salesman wrote out the DEAL !

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Compare like for like.

Compare a Comfortline Golf vs. a US-spec Golf, similar options.

I think you'll find that the European car is significantly more expensive, and there, it really is the same car (with only mild tweaks here and there to meet different regulations.)

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
The last time I tried to build a Golf in the German configurator, adding all the stuff the American Golf TDI has standard resulted in a list price of over 27,000€ including VAT.
You guy need to understand that Europeans will not pay MSRP. They will negotiate the price down to at least 15% under msrp and get the dealer to throw in a set of snow tires or something like that.

Also the 1.6 TDI is far more popular (and thousands cheaper) than the 2.0 TDI.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Here, a few things happen:

1. Almost everyone tries to negotiate down. They also usually get below MSRP on a gasser - maybe even below invoice.
2. The dealer then makes up for it by screwing the customer on their trade-in and/or on financing.
3. Diesels, under MSRP was rare, last I checked (but that was a while ago.) When the 09s came out, I know there were dealers selling for way over MSRP.

diesel313

TDI
shortly
Bottom line folks is that rubber dash and independent rear suspension which is useless on this diesel vehicle as it is not a 11 second car, is not worth the added 10+ price tag they pay in Europe. Yea the European one would be nice for 26k but not for over 30. VW is all about affordability, at least in the US nobody would fly for a 30 some thousand dollar jetta i never see that happening, people would just step up to an A4 AWD Turbo, i know i would.

A relative of mine lives in Eastern Europe, and he actually came to the US to buy a new ML350 where he paid over 20k dollars less than he would have paid if he had bought it in Germany. Funny isnt it. Point being is i want a new jetta lol anyone want to buy a lexus GS??

NedWrecks

TDI
2011 Jetta
Then here you said: "I also qualified that it was not reasonable enough for me to buy it (That's what "too expensive for my taste" means)."

Im not sure if that was even English?
Wow... You are truly a master communicator, thanks for setting me str8.

(oh, and "I'm" is spelled with an apostrophe)

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
Bottom line folks is that rubber dash and independent rear suspension which is useless on this diesel vehicle as it is not a 11 second car, is not worth the added 10+ price tag they pay in Europe. Yea the European one would be nice for 26k but not for over 30. VW is all about affordability, at least in the US nobody would fly for a 30 some thousand dollar jetta i never see that happening, people would just step up to an A4 AWD Turbo, i know i would.

A relative of mine lives in Eastern Europe, and he actually came to the US to buy a new ML350 where he paid over 20k dollars less than he would have paid if he had bought it in Germany. Funny isnt it. Point being is i want a new jetta lol anyone want to buy a lexus GS??
Exactly :)

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
Hey Jb is that MPG real? I have a 2011 VW Jetta TDI Highline DSG and I'm not getting that kind of mileage :(

Yep that is current. I have averaged between 38-42 miles per gallon since ownership. I only used ULSD from Shell in Arizona, USA.

However, I sure wish we had Shell V-Power Diesel that you guys got.

~jb :)

Hellfire

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Jetta TDI Highline
Yep that is current. I have averaged between 38-42 miles per gallon since ownership. I only used ULSD from Shell in Arizona, USA.

However, I sure wish we had Shell V-Power Diesel that you guys got.

~jb :)
LoL why do you want the V-Power Diesel ? It is more expensive (around 5 cents / L or around $2.75 per tank)

But so far this is what I've been getting:

2nd last time I filled up, I filled up the entire length of the fuel line, and when I filled up this time to the same extent overfilling as I put in 56L (tank is 55L) it told me I averaged 38.9 MPG.

Manual I can understand having better MPG right off the bat, but I'm still nowhere near the 4.7 L/ 100 kms that the car is rated on highway.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
A higher cetane number I think will give better efficiency at higher RPM. I used to buy v-power but it's really not worth the extra money, especially since you can get higher cetane elsewhere. The NA shell v-power is not synthetic at all, and has nowhere near a cetane number of 50, unlike Euro v-power.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
If your diesel has a bio blend, your cetane is always spec.

Back to topic, I'd like to see a New Jetta WAGON offered! I'd take mein with five doors, 6-speed manual, pano roof, heated seats/windshield nozzles, mirrors, start/stop/regenerative braking...!

VW, are you reading this?? :D

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Rumor has it that, when VW moves to MQB for the current A platform vehicles - when the Mk7 Golf comes out - there will be three wheelbases.

2630 mm for Golfs (up from 2578)
2680 mm for Variants, Jettas, and Tiguans (up from 2578 for Variants, 2650 for Jettas, and 2604 for Tiguans)
2790 mm for Tourans and Tiguan XLs (up from 2680 for Tourans, and the Tiguan XL will be a new model for the US and Chinese markets)

So, for Mk7, the Variant will no longer be a Golf.

Also, the B20 available here is only 45 cetane for the blend. So, still under spec, but better than the 40 cetane garbage that normally comes out of the pump.