Anyone had experience with Dupage Auto Werks???

dariod

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Illinois
DuPage Auto Werks, Ltd.
850 Meadowview
Crossing Drive
West Chicago, IL 60185

Has anyone tried them for work on TDI

lousyg

TDI
VW
I second this. Just wanted to come here to give my $.02.

TLDR; $850 for 80k mile service (including DSG service), and $1200 for 4 pads/rotors on my Nissan Frontier. Why are they on the "Trusted TDI Mechanics" list?

Disclaimer: I'm not a car guy. I know very little about automotive stuff, and I generally rely on "experts" to give me their recommendations. Unfortunately, my expertise has usually come from the dealer or shop. After some really, REALLY bad bills from the dealer on routine maintenance, I decided to find a good alternative. I found Dupage Auto Werks on the list of "Trusted TDI Mechanics."

I brought my Passat in for "80k mile maintenance, including the DSG service." The total bill was $850. It was steep, but my last experience with the DSG service was at 40k miles with the dealer, and that was over $1k.

I took my Nissan Frontier in there yesterday for 50k service, and they said my brake pads and rotors needed to be replaced on all 4 wheels. In hindsight, they were right. They were in pretty bad shape. But when I got the bill, they charged me $1000 to replace all 4 rotors and pads, and another $200 to "service" the rear calipers which had "seized". For the record, I called a Nissan dealership after the fact and got a quote for $650 for the same work. Another local shop priced me $431.

DAW seems nice enough, and I think they do good work (though I guess I wouldn't really know). But it's pretty clear that they're gouging, especially if it's obvious that you don't know anything about cars (i.e., me).

I have to ask the honest question: Why is a company that conducts themselves like this on the "Trusted TDI Mechanics" list? Isn't a part of "trust" not taking advantage of people?

Last edited:

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Volks:

I have purchased oil from DAW before, but I have not had them do any work on any of my vehicles. Rich Rezny, who is listed as their shop foreman, used to drive an A4 Jetta TDI and was a list member too. IIRC his list name was coolwhitedude. I have not talked to him lately and don't know whether he still owns a TDI or participates in this list, but at the several GTG's that I met him at and spoke to him at, he seemed quite knowledgeable about TDIs. DAW is a repair shop and AFAIK charges flat hourly rates for repairs. Their rate may be lower than a dealership, but I don't know for sure. I would think that their knowledge and understanding of TDIs would be better that the dealership though. Hope that helps.

Dan

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Thanks for the info. $850 for the 80k service (incl. DSG) does not seem much cheaper than what the dealer (Bill Jacobs) wants. Bummer. Is there anybody else in the Chicago or western suburbs area that people on this forum would recommend?

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
What's included?

Volks:

What, specifically is included in an 80K service? I'm thinking timing belt (with all associated rollers, tensioner, water pump, bolts, etc.), oil and filter change, fuel filter change, air filter change, and a DSG transmission service. If that's what we're talking about, $850.00 seems reasonable to me. Granted, I don't have any experience dealing with a repair shop or dealership for maintenance or repair work, but that price doesn't seem too far out of the ballpark to me for the parts/services/repairs I listed. Actually seems low considering what the stealerships seem to charge.

Dan

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Jebus...I have to raise my prices.....$470 for the same work. 40-80K service.

I've fixed a lot of botched work from them. FWIW.

passatv6af

Veteran Member
TDI
B7 6MT
Why not just go to Mobileone in Glenview? I know he charges $100/hr labor but at least I don't have to scratch my head when I leave the place.

I'd go to jasonTDI (heard great things) but it's a bit too far....maybe for my 80k service I just might

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Is that the one that PeteZ06 mentioned? Near Elk Grove? Or are those two different shops? (I sent Pete a PM, but no reply so far.)

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
He's on the far west side of Glenview. I'll vouch for him. He's really a gas guy but knows TDI as well. If not he calls me or other Guru's.