Trailhead's BEW PD 5Spd Wagon

bluvw69

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Sweet wagon! I like the subtle, yet detailed mods. Especially the flush-mount hitch and LED upgrades. Caught anything interesting on camera, yet?

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
05sPD-BEWagon "Diesel Girl"
Sweet wagon! I like the subtle, yet detailed mods. Especially the flush-mount hitch and LED upgrades. Caught anything interesting on camera, yet?
Thanks! No great footage yet. A few close calls from the Torontard drivers but, nothing that inspired me to download the footage.

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
I ditched my "TDI" badge for something a little faster! In case any one's interested; This is the front fender badge from a Porsche Cayenne. They're available ( for about $50 ) at your local dealer.

Last edited:

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
I've almost finished converting to a black leather GTI interior with beetle headrests. I just have a little more work to do on the rear lowers.

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
This week I've been getting my GLI brakes ready to go on;

First up, Stripping, drilling and chasing;

Then off to the caliper shop and back home for a fresh coat;

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
I case anyone's interested in what this kind of mod really costs;

$600 - Used front calipers and rotors (312mm), rear calipers and rotors (256mm), carriers, and backing plates.
$180 - Sandblasting.
$40 - Bolts and nuts.
$250 - Wheel bearings, front pads and 2 front wheel speed sensors.
$25 - Pipe sections to make my own bearing press.
$25 - Red and black caliper paint.

More on this when I'm done...

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
brakes look awesome?

how's the summers working out for ya ??!! since we just got a ton of snow again :D
I haven't got any decent pictures yet. Looks like I'll have to wait a bit...

I'm not sure if this weather is my fault for installing summers.
Or yours for selling me those brakes:D

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Tonight I also replaced my steering wheel with a leather one with controls;

o.k. this is probably the dumbest question yet, but how many other things do you need to do to have the switches operational? I'm just getting to understand the CANBUS thing...
I have an 04' Passat and would love to have the cruise & radio up on the steering wheel.

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
o.k. this is probably the dumbest question yet, but how many other things do you need to do to have the switches operational? I'm just getting to understand the CANBUS thing...
I have an 04' Passat and would love to have the cruise & radio up on the steering wheel.
If you search a bit there's a few threads on it. Basically, you have to change the clock ring assembly, add the wheel controls module and a bunch of wiring. I'd say it's a fairly advanced level project to pull off.
Good luck.

kirmet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Galactic Blue
Can you elaborate on your frost plug set-up? I'm assuming it is some sort of heater but I'm confused as to where it is located since the plug comes from the rear of the car.

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 1000w Frostheater up front. Instead of running the plug through the grill, I have it plugged into an extension cord that runs to the marine charger plug in my rear bumper.

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
Today installed a vented right inner fender;

Replaced the bolts on my wheel spacers;

Installed a set of pimp wheel nutz;

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm so stoked! The o-rings and extra clamps, etc have fixed the annoying hesitation I've had since I bought this car! Near as I can tell; the pressure side would burp as the turbo came on, causing a single "pop" type hesitation. It's like a new car! Yay! now I can tune it!

akrievins

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Comfortline - DSG
Good work so far! I like those tire chains! How have they worked? Where did you get them? I really could use those up north in the winter, even with snow tires.

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
The chains are great. I run snows but, they're no match for my cottage driveway. They have a top speed of 20-25km/hr so they're more of an emergency device than a everyday use item. Kneeling in the snow and reaching to the back of your snow filled wheel wells to install them is not a great time but, as a saved-my-ass tool I give them a 10/10. Last winter they got me up my 300' 5-6% grade driveway after my snows refused to do the job.

I purchased them at Princess Auto for $60 on sale, regular $99 ( iirc )

The auto adjuster devises are plastic. They worked through the 5 (or so) times I used them last winter but, I'm not sure I trust them to last forever. This winter I'll carry 2 back up turnbuckles in case a tensioner breaks.

akrievins

Veteran Member
TDI
The chains are great. I run snows but, they're no match for my cottage driveway. They have a top speed of 20-25km/hr so they're more of an emergency device than a everyday use item. Kneeling in the snow and reaching to the back of your snow filled wheel wells to install them is not a great time but, as a saved-my-ass tool I give them a 10/10. Last winter they got me up my 300' 5-6% grade driveway after my snows refused to do the job.

I purchased them at Princess Auto for $60 on sale, regular $99 ( iirc )

The auto adjuster devises are plastic. They worked through the 5 (or so) times I used them last winter but, I'm not sure I trust them to last forever. This winter I'll carry 2 back up turnbuckles in case a tensioner breaks.
This is great news. I too have a very steep section on the cottage drive way... Had a RWD Infiniti G25 last winter and I got stuck big time in some wet snow. Needed a tractor to pull me up after messing around for an hour. I even had snows and a pile of weight in the back. Great report on the chains. Any specific info you can provide? Make, model? Were there different sizes? I just want them for my 15" or 16" wheels on the golf when I decide what winter tires and rims I'll be using.

akrievins

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you sir!

Where is your cottage located? Our family cottage is just south of Parry Sound right near Lake Rosseau.

I head up the 400 quite a bit, so if your cottage is in the Muskokas I might see you battling cottage bound traffic someday.

Last edited:

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm in Prince Edward County. No 400 to deal with but, the Montreal bound 401 drivers are every bit as nutty! I do go to Blue mountian a couple time each summer to ride but, I avoid times when the cottage crazies are mauling each other's bumpers.

Happy trails, let me know how the chains work next winter.

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you have a thread dedicated to that boost 'burp' you cured?
Sadly the hesitation returned :(.

It's so weird, how intermittent it is. I inspected my cam again yesterday. It's very hard to get a good look at the lobe profiles but, I think I see some wear. I'm gonna take it to a guru for a second opinion..

cbalthazor

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Lifted Wagon
So, when you did the steering wheel swap did you have to add the controller and clockspring and whatnot to get everything to work, or was it plug and play since the 04/05 cars since the Leather wheel as an option?

I've been debating doing this for a bit (2004 PD), and could only find writeups on converting ALH cars to the steering wheel.