Help with instrument cluster

LynnPlaggs

TDI
99 Jetta,99 golf & 2000 jetta
Had someone back into front of car (no damage) and now instruments (tach,speedo, fuel and water temp gauge)don't work.
All warning lights still functioning along with odometer.
Vag Com lists Open + - checked fuses and they are OK- Any idea where to look next
Thanks
LP

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
Perhaps the outside temp sensor, assuming you have one, got crushed and the wires shorted and those other sensors share the same reference signal.

Robert6401

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG
Had someone back into front of car (no damage) and now instruments (tach,speedo, fuel and water temp gauge)don't work.
Vag Com lists Open + - checked fuses and they are OK- Any idea where to look next
Thanks
LP
Did you ever find out what the issue was?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Thanks
LP
Which one of your vehicles are you talking about?

Perhaps the outside temp sensor, assuming you have one, got crushed and the wires shorted and those other sensors share the same reference signal.
You are probably right.

The 2002 Jetta/Golf have a common splice (number 269 in the schematics) that numerous sensors ground through then on to the Cluster. Installing the 02 ALH engine and Cluster in my Vanagon, was when I made the discovery and use of splice 269.

So, OP, you probably need to look further as there appears to be little doubt that damage occurred.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Where exactly is this 269 splice? I've read about it before trying to diagnose my erratic fuel gauge. I know it's not the sender in the tank since that has been changed once already along with the in-tank pump.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Splice 269 is buried in the instrument panel wiring harness.

Based on my experience, I seriously doubt that the connection (269) is the problem. My point is that numerous sensors ground through that splice with one wire going to the Cluster at T32/7. The schematics seem to indicate that the wires all come together at one point. I cannot say that is the case for certainty.

-Windshield washer level
-Brake Fluid level
-Fuel tank level
-Coolant tank level
-Malfunction Indicator (for those equipped)
-maybe others..

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Thanks, Andy. I forgot to mention that I added a separate ground at the tank itself for the sender, but that did not work. Problem must be in the cluster. I've learned to live with it since the gauge has always acted up since I bought the car brand new in '04.
I changed the stepper motor in the cluster with a used one I picked up on e-bay, but that did not help.

pugman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SW, 2003, Reflex Silver
This past week the clock stopped working with the Odometer/trip Odometer. Everything else still works. Could this be a ground as well and where would I find it? Car has over 362K miles on it.