Can't resurface dual mass flywheel?

RichCA

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL, 2002, Red
Can\'t resurface dual mass flywheel?

Just as I decided to buy the spec, the performance place that I was going to get install it said:
"Essentially, dual mass flywheels are one-time-use only. We can de-glaze your original dual mass flywheel, but we can not make any sort of guarantee about the longevity of the surface finish, nor can we guarantee against clutch chatter."

Now I'm not sure again what to do. Can anyone tell me my options? Maybe the VR6/G60 combo would be easier?
Incase it matters my car has about 38000 miles on it.

Thanks,

Rich

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

"Essentially, dual mass flywheels are one-time-use only. We can de-glaze your original dual mass flywheel, but we can not make any sort of guarantee about the longevity of the surface finish, nor can we guarantee against clutch chatter."

Rich:

[decoder] "We don't own the equipment to service and re-surface DM flywheels." [/decoder]

RichCA

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL, 2002, Red

That's what I figured. If anyone knows of a place in the Toronto or Niagara area that can resurface it please let me know.

Thanks again,

Rich

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI

Why not just go to a salvage yard and get a 228 mm G60 flywheel. It'll bolt on with no problem and I only paid 60 bucks for mine. Not too many cars fail because of a bad flywheel so it's usually pretty safe to get one this way.

Good Luck

Sebpt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (SOLD). 2005 MB E320 CDI

Just as I decided to buy the spec, the performance place that I was going to get install it said:

Now I'm not sure again what to do. Can anyone tell me my options? Maybe the VR6/G60 combo would be easier?
Incase it matters my car has about 38000 miles on it.

Thanks,

Rich
I have Spec Stage 1 with my 50,000 mi stock flywheel. When I changed my clutch, I just cleaned the flywheel with alcohol. The surface was perfectly flat with no wear at all. No problems at all. I don't know if this would help you but it certainly worked on my car.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI

Get out of the "Old School" line of thinking! The DMF flywheels will not need ANY resurfacing. I have yet to see or even hear of for that matter any flywheel with wear grooves or uneven surfaces.

For the most part all that is needed when installing a higher clamp force clutch on one of these flywheels is simply wiping it off of any dust and maybe rubbing it down with a Scotch Brite pad (green or red) to break the glaze and help bed in the new clutch material...thats it.

If you have the flywheel machined its ruined and the clamp forces are now unknown. The distances between the pressure plate and flywheel are extremely critical in keeping the clutch under optimum pressure.

DB

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta

228 mm G60 flywheel

can you tell me what this comes on for code noobs
Corrados and A3 jetta's I've been told.

If a dual mass flywheel really does need resurfacing Dan Hall Automotive in Portlan Oregon can resurface them.

-Jack

lam121

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf GL - Blue Anthracite

Get out of the "Old School" line of thinking! The DMF flywheels will not need ANY resurfacing. I have yet to see or even hear of for that matter any flywheel with wear grooves or uneven surfaces.
DB
well let me be the first to tell you.
im not sure what else my shuddering can be attributed to besides a 'faulty' clutch disc. i did the spec stage II upgrade in april (yes i did make my flywheel look nice and shinny again). there has been shuddering ever since. i recently had to replace my transmission (bad syncros - nothing to do with the clutch) and my mechanic gave it the once over treatment again because he said he could not find any machine shop in the area to resurface it. (i should have sent it to spec) but there is still shuddering.

it is my understanding that when you change a clutch disc, the new clutch disc has to 'mate' with you old flywheel. that would be the manufacturer's recommended break in period. the old flywheel has 'grooves' that the old disc created and therfore fit nicely in, from spinning your tires, regular wear and tear, whatever. the new disc will not fit into these old grooves. when you resurface, you cut the flywheel flat to have the new disc grip the flywheel and start making itself at home with the flywheel. if you have any input, advice, or even a more correct description of what happens, i would greatly appreciate it.