Resetting brake wear indicator light on dashboard

JettaTDI777

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold It
I have an '01 Jetta TDI just did the front pads and rotors and the front brake pad wear indicator light on the dash did not go away. I flipped through the Haynes manual and it actually mentioned a wear indicator harness needed to be unplugged. Do I need to go back and disconnect the harness or can I reset it through vag-com?

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
My light went out when I plugged the harness into the new pads. Did the new pads you installed have the harness hanging off the backside of one of the pads? Actually the mintex pads I bought came with 4 pads, 2 of which have the harness so I just cut one of them off.

Dave

JettaTDI777

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold It
My new mintex pads actually didn't have a harness on any of them unless it's located somewhere by the caliper? When I pulled the old pads off it didn't have them either.

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
I have an 01' jetta too. Mine has the sensor. My light came on when my pads got so thin the heat burned the wire off the pads and it was just left hanging there. Take another look for a stainless steel bracket by the caliper which would be holding the harness. You might find a dangling wire which use to be on your old pads. The wire/plug comes right out of the back of the pad near the edge, so you couldn't miss it. 3-4" long.

Dave