Whats it worth - 03 tdi wagon

alkidd

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Sister is looking for a TDI. I am thinking of upgrading so mine may go to her. Dont want to give it away but also dont want to rip off the family. Whats a fair price for an 03 tdi wagon, 5 spd, reflex silver on black leather interior, heated seats, PW, PL, A/C, timing belt, fuel filter & oil just done, 155k km, stage 2 tune, omi, new injectors, gutted egr, skid plate, coolant heater, trailer hitch, 4 new snows on steelies, summer rubber (30k) on vw alloys, 2 spare rims, Jumbo mats, cargo mat . Only thing not working well is the heated mirror on the drivers side. Couple parking lot scrapes & bruises but never hit from what I can tell.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A guy I know has been searching for just what you have in the US and it seems that good examples are going for 10-12K USD with similar mileage.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Considering it's going to your sister and you're content with $5000 I'd say you'd be doing her a good favor.

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
mogly said:
Considering it's going to your sister and you're content with $5000 I'd say you'd be doing her a good favor.
more than a favor IMHO...you could get a grand more and still be doing her a favor.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Wagons are rare. 03 wagons are even more rare as they were the only year the wagon was made with the ALH motor. IMHO, Yor car with current mileage in stock form would be worth about $10,000 retail. So about $7500 wholesale. Add at least $1000 for all your extra's and I would say $8500 is a very fair price. If you really like your sister, you could throw in the extras for free and give it to her for $7500. Any lower than that and you would be loosing money.

The best way to determine the value is to ask the dealer you are buying the new car from what they would give you on a trade and sell it to your sister for the trade in price + 13% for the tax. They will just give you the book value as they don't care about the extras. My guess, about $6500 on a trade which equals $7345 with tax.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My '02 ALH would be upset to know it doesn't exist. ;) And the '02s had the shorter rear bumper, much better looking.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
Here in Canada, we only got the TDI Wagon starting in 03, I'm sure that's what Nigel meant :)

IndigoBlueWagon said:
My '02 ALH would be upset to know it doesn't exist. ;) And the '02s had the shorter rear bumper, much better looking.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Really! Didn't know that. I guess the good part was you also got it in '06, which we didn't.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Nigel, not sure about the idea of asking the dealer about car value. Just went through this selling my wife's 03 Civic. Dealer offered us $4500 for the car. Wholesale price on UVIP was $6000 (which is what we sold it for privately). I think $7500 is a fair price for the car. $5000 would be way too cheap. An 01 Jetta sedan goes for more money than that!

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
I'll give you $5K for it to. Want to buy a new wagon, but I'm afraid of the HPFP failures so am now considering going used again

Manu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Golf Wagon 6MT Highline TDI
Wingnut said:
The best way to determine the value is to ask the dealer you are buying the new car from what they would give you on a trade and sell it to your sister for the trade in price
This is exactly what i've done before. I was the buyer and bought a car from my sister in law for trade-in value.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
CmdrData said:
LOL! What one would do to get a cheap and well maintained TDI...
tell you what, it might be a convoluted idea, but I will give you 5001$, adopt Silver as my sister, sell her the car for 5000$. the hassle would well be worth the dollar I would be out of pocket. now on to more serious matters, I do hope that someone out there knows what a good deal her brother is giving her on this here TDI wagon! :D

alkidd

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Thanks to all

Thanks to all for the info. The dealer's been throwing around $6k which I thought was low considering the km's. 1 went through the Milton auction in May for 4k with similar mileage but that is true wholesale pricing (dealer only auction). However theres no way to know what the car looked like as post auction results dont show pictures. Going to throw it at my sister and see what sticks.

Thanks for the offers guys but I already have two sisters and I am willing to bet they are better looking than any of you in drag.

alkidd

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
IndigoBlueWagon said:
A guy I know has been searching for just what you have in the US and it seems that good examples are going for 10-12K USD with similar mileage.
Sister be damned. Thats more than I paid for it. Can he import from Canada?

alkidd

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Wow, thats my exact car. First time there higher prices going the other way

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
interesting, ver-ry ver-ry interesting (Arte Johnson) that there is a 2009 on there for 12600 and an 03 for 12000, what's up with that? never mind, salvage

Last edited:

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I bought my '04 exactly a year ago with ~160K km on it and paid what the dealer paid on trade for it: $8000, completely stock. $5000 is insanely low. If it was my sister I'd be asking $10k as repayment for all the beatings she dealt me as a kid ;) !!!!!!

PS: Peter, 2003+ big-ass-bumpers are because Canada got the wagon. Thank you stupid CDN laws...