No Turn Signals & No Hazard Lights, Out of Ideas

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
ANY help /ideas would be greatly appreciated. My 03 Jetta TDI wagon's turn & hazard lights don't work. The 15 amp fuse for the hazard lights was blown~~~I replaced it & it blew again. Every time you open a door or rear hatch you hear a 10 second buzz. They had not been working for a couple of days & the buzz was new. So I did a search & found the "Replacing Turn Signal Module" thread. I also have a 99.5 Golf IV so I pulled the turn signal module from the Golf & it had a slightly different part # 1J0 953 235 H as opposed to the Jetta same # that ended with a J~~~it didn't work & still blew a hazard light fuse. I put it back in the Golf & it worked fine
. It's a REAL PITA to go to the dealer 2+ hrs away. There appears to be a short somewhere( I figured the module but the Golf's module did the same)~~~I am out of ideas.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I'm sure you checked...but any chafed/broken wires in the steering column, epecially in the area that flexed when you adjust the steering wheel height?

I have seen this on cars before.

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
Divide and conquer. Using your Bentley manual, start disconnecting portions of the circuit to first figure out what the problem ISN'T, then you can find what it is. It's probably a nicked wire or bad bulb socket, if I were to guess. Good luck.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Doyle,

check all the bulbs on the circuit. one of them might have fried in a bad way.

i'm not sure what is on the whole circuit, but i'd bet as suggested you've got a fried wire or a shorted bulb or ..... check the vanity mirror lamps if they are on the same circuit. Also see if you can locate where the buzz is . . . although that does chew up fuses it might help find the location of the short?

good luck -

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Instead of frying fuses find a circuit breaker instead. It will go off than reset over and over. It does sound like a wire has shorted.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
Gee, Doyle, you already looked at the relay/module, which was my first thought since the same thing happened on the Eurovan. Can you dig your Jetta's relay out and open it up and take a peek inside? Maybe the striker doohickie thing is hanging there in limp Richard mode...
Good luck. Hey, if it's still busted by the weekend, post on the GTG forum and we'll have a GTG & meeting of the Charlton Heston Fan Club at your place; we'll even bring along spare parts to fix your lights.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
If its an 03, isnt this fully covered under warranty? Maybe if you explain to the dealer your so far away they can just send you the new part once you figure out what it is?

That sucks...

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hey Guys!!! Thanks for all the ideas. I forgot to mention this just started after a "lady" backed into the driver's side rear bumper just below the tail light. Caved in the area but it popped out on the drive home. There are a LOT of wires in that area & although they look OK, I'm going to pull the bundle apart & inspect each wire individually~~~esp the turn signal wire. I have a module coming on Monday & an appt with the dealer on Friday. I just hate to take off all my mods & I know I have some codes stored in the ECU. Once again <font color="blue"> </font> THANKS!!!

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
... I forgot to mention this just started after a "lady" backed into the driver's side rear bumper just below the tail light....
That's more likely your issue than the relay, now; I suppose you could just put the Jetta relay into your Golf and that'll eliminate the relay as the culprit. Check the actual bulb connections, too; I think someone already mentioned that earlier. Good luck!

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Norman said:
... I forgot to mention this just started after a "lady" backed into the driver's side rear bumper just below the tail light....
That's more likely your issue than the relay, now; I suppose you could just put the Jetta relay into your Golf and that'll eliminate the relay as the culprit. Check the actual bulb connections, too; I think someone already mentioned that earlier. Good luck!
UPDATE!!!!

Took the wagon to Pestige VW yesterday~~~had to get up @ 5AM
& thet didn't get in in to to service till about 11:30
. Anyway the problem was a relay/switch in the steering column(wife took the call). They had given me a rental & told me to keep it~~~the part will be in some time next week.
Problem manifests itself like this:
No turn signals or hazard lights. You can put in a 15 AMP fuse to the hazard light & try right/left turn signals~~~they won't work but the fuse will not blow. If you try the hazard light, the module itself will buzz briefly & then the fuse will blow. Additionally, there is a relay somewhere in the console below the hazard light/turn signal relay that will buzz for 5-10 seconds intermittantly when you open/close doors or hatches.
I thought I would post this info to save someone some time~~~I spent hrs. Perhaps this should be in the FAQ~~~I don't know if this is goning to be a common problem~~~mine is an 03 TDI wagon.